Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

RED and BLue are bad

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:24 pm

well got out of work tonight and showed my buddy my lights a cop saw and came fliyinh over. He chilled i didnt get in my car just talked with my buddy, then i knew i was gonna get it,so we went in his car and got some food, We came back aorund 10 min later went to my car and Boom 24 cops surrounded us! they wanted to see the lights why did i have them, cops were **** then they got kool, but lets just say 2 yr felony. but i didnt get any thing, i said they were for a car show last weekend and since ive worked every day i havnt had time to take them out so,, yea

Stilll no tickets!
stasis-

Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:34 pm

lmao..coulda been worse
corvettecrazy

Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:45 pm

were you in a parking lot? Are you not allowed to have any glow in the state you are in? or were these cop lights??
steven_mckenz

Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:59 pm

Something seems overexaggerated about this thread...or something isn't being told that needs to be.

There is NO way in hell that 24 cops would surround a car just because it had some red and blue lights on it. That is, unless you were trying to act like a cop and had sirens and flashing strobes on your car and such to impersonate a cop car.
GlowinPontiac

Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:00 pm

^^my thoughts exactly.

ive had cops come right up to me while my whelens were flashing and they just reminded me not to use them while driving.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:09 pm

And a helicopter flying overhead too?
TheBrick

Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:28 pm

^ two phil, dont forget the news crew biglaugh.gif
Focal Fury

Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:49 pm

three copters....
one was customs
alienyoungjr

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:19 am

Where is the SWAT when you need them?!
Ryan88

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:28 am

biglaugh.gif
TheBrick

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:39 am

alienyoungjr wrote:
Where is the SWAT when you need them?!

hahaha brillant.
Bigsammoe

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:57 pm

i swear to you all we were in circuit city parking lot opp facing of the street. i flipped em on and my buddy was standing in front of the car and i was on the side, a cop came flyin over and i turned them off before he parked, he sat like 2 lanes down. I knew i was gonna get something so we left my car there and went to white hen, came back 10 min later no cops any where, pulled up to my car i hit the unlock button and right as i opend the door 2 cops pulled up, then others FLEW though the walmart parking lot and about 10 around are cars and 2 at each exit to get out of the lot, I am not kiddin ask Joe about orland hills, cops when they have something to get they will get yea!!!! but yea i guess it is illegal to have blue and res lights on your car? go figure, good thing i didnt put that pursuit vechile sticker on the back biglaugh.gif O yea i got workin tonight so we will see if they bother me!
Aken

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:58 pm

It's not illegal to have red and blue lights on your car. It's illegal to use them on roads and whatnot.
Bigsammoe

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:28 pm

is that same for illinios? if some one has info on please LINK ME!
coldfusion01

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:01 pm

Well I know it's illegal to have either blue or red in gerogia (not that it's made known to the public of these law changes...) But yeah, I've gotten out of atleast 7 tickets now myself (think they're up to 1-2k dollars now and a long while in jail). But I tend to find the undercover cops can be a lot more vecious/persistant in there tacticts of getting someone... they come in packs icon_neutral.gif

And they've gotten me parked before with all my blues on at the mall lot... parked. About 1 cop, 2 mall security truck/cops, and 3 undercover cops who were just going to the golden coruel buffet.

Like usual I was given the your impersionating a cop lecture... even with turquoise under the car, and blue leds in my headlight casings and eyes under the front grill, and it being obvious that I wasn't and had no intention of impersonating a cop.
kramer13
Oznium Employee

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:12 pm

I swear...it seems like if you got your **** done right, you wont get a ticket...but if your sloppy about the install and/or it looks bad, you get a ticket.
coldfusion01

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:15 pm

http://ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/pubact92/acts/92-0782.html

Quote:
(f) Nothing in this Section shall prohibit a
manufacturer of oscillating, rotating or flashing lights or
his representative from temporarily mounting such lights on a
vehicle for demonstration purposes only.

(g) Any person violating the provisions of subsections
(a), (b), (c) or (d) of this Section who without lawful
authority stops or detains or attempts to stop or detain
another person shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony.

(h) Except as provided in subsection (g) above, any
person violating the provisions of subsections (a) or (c) of
this Section shall be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(Source: P.A. 91-357, eff. 7-29-99; 92-138, eff. 7-24-01;
92-407, eff. 8-17-01; revised 9-12-01)

Well you should be fine for off road demostartion (see: '(f)'). You might want to print this article incase a cop give you trouble, and highlight section 'f' .

Quote:

(c), "authorized emergency vehicle"
includes any vehicle authorized by law to be equipped with oscillating,
rotating, or flashing lights under Section 12-215 of this Code, while
the owner or operator of the vehicle is engaged in his or her official
duties.
(d) A person who violates subsection (c) of this Section commits a
business offense punishable by a fine of not more than $10,000. It is a
factor in aggravation if the person committed the offense while in
violation of Section 11-501 of this Code.

$10,000 dollar fine... icon_eek.gif I though Gerogia was bad...

heh, hope that helps icon_wink.gif
Bigsammoe

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:55 pm

hell that helps a lot at least i have something that says iam legal!
Detour

Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:43 pm

Bringing this back up so no one thinks that red and blues are ok.

Taken from here: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=062500050K12-215
Quote:
(625 ILCS 5/12‑215) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12‑215)
(Text of Section from P.A. 94‑143)
Sec. 12‑215. Oscillating, rotating or flashing lights on motor vehicles. Except as otherwise provided in this Code:
(a) The use of red or white oscillating, rotating or flashing lights, whether lighted or unlighted, is prohibited.......

(b) The use of amber oscillating, rotating or flashing lights, whether lighted or unlighted, is prohibited.....

(c) The use of blue oscillating, rotating or flashing lights, whether lighted or unlighted, is prohibited....

(g) Any person violating the provisions of subsections (a), (b), (c) or (d) of this Section who without lawful authority stops or detains or attempts to stop or detain another person shall be guilty of a Class 4 felony.....

What is meant by Off road demonstrations is that the vehicle must be completely off the road, you're not off the road if a vehicle driving on a street can see your car with the lights activated. Also, some departments will not like the fact that you are showing off the lights if you arent licensed dealer. If it's a legit car show, you might want to ask the officers there if they would have any problem with you displaying your equipment.

Just having the lights on your vehicle is a misdemeanor. ie "whether lighted or unlighted"

I've researched this subject plenty of times as I had a Caprice with emergency equipment on it. Although I was 100% legal, I still wanted to find out the laws incase I Was stopped and questioned. And I've brought the issue up to a number of police departments to find out how they stand on the laws. Many say if you have red lights on the rear it is legal if they are steady with the brakes/hazards.(it's also a discount on your ins) And white on the rear is legal if it is only on when the vehicle is in reverse.
NightlHlawk

Post Sun May 07, 2006 7:39 pm

So it says oscillating, rotating, or flashing lights...

What about just having them on?

No oscillating, no rotating, and no flashing.
kardain

Post Fri May 12, 2006 10:46 pm

NightlHlawk wrote:
So it says oscillating, rotating, or flashing lights...

What about just having them on?

No oscillating, no rotating, and no flashing.

Bad idea, unless the red lights are on the rear and the blues are turned off while driving.

Even if not oscillating, rotating or flashing, it can still be construed as "impersonating an emergency vehicle"
JadeCat95

Post Fri May 26, 2006 2:58 pm

Boy! I'm glad Ohio isn't this strict on this subject!
Ohio law states you can have any color, any where, as long as they don't flash, strobe or oscillate, and the light source cannot be directly visible.
I've had at least three times that I've had my UFO's on pattern 2 and slowing the fade down, driving down the road and an OSP unit made a U-turn and followed me for like 4 blocks but never once been pulled over. Same for going down I-75, never had a problem.
As for strobes, law says as long as the car is parked and the keys are NOT in the ignition, you're OK.
pOrk

Post Sat May 27, 2006 11:25 am

24 cops, yah right. Unless you live in Chicago, there arent that many cops on duty at a time in orland hills.

And It is illegal in Wisconsin to have any flashing blue lights withen 100 feet of a public roadway. You have red AND blue, you are just asking for trouble.
The time now is Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:36 am
Page 1 of 1