Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Custom Switch Panel Step by Step...

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:33 pm

Well sort of step by step LOL....

I still have some steps coming along. I have heard questions about switch panels in the past so why not document this easy one?

I am putting lights in the stang but this time I am learning from what I did "right" and "wrong" in the cavy. First, people LOVED the switch panel in the headliner so I figured out a way to do that in the mustang. What I didnt do well with that in the cavy is make is EASY to access and to change wiring with and I cut up my stock headliner.

SO....The mustang has this little piece attached to the headliner already with netting in it. I simply took that down and cut the net out of it. Using this piece I can make a mold and reattach it to the headliner and use a custom panel without cutting the headliner. I started with this:

I then drilled holes in the side of it so the resin would stick to it

I traced the outside shape of it on a piece of pegboard and glued two pieces back to back to make it sturdy. I then duplicated that with a piece of lexan

while doodling on it I started to map out where the switches would go. I am planning for the nitrous arm and purge buttons also.

I placed the trim piece on a piece of MDF and laid my pegboard over it and stretched some fleece over that...

This is going to be the base of the switch panel. This is now resined and hard in the garage right now. This will be painted or wrapped...Not sure..

This is the same doodled lexan with painter tape over it so I can measure the switches out evenly. This will hold 14 toggles, Nitrous Arm, Nitrous Purge,

And also have the MACH 1 logo backlit through vinyl. Its hard to see right now but the yellow fiberglassed piece will be permanantely attached to the headliner and this lexan will screw into it so I can remove it and maintenance the wiring system better so I dont have to drop the headliner each time and I can lable each switch so when body shops work on the car they can easily remove my work compared to before.

updates:

here is the panel with switches thrown in it (not lined up of course)

here is the housing

this is the two pieces together

This is the idea....the blue circle will have a blue cathode attached to the inside of the housing. I'll then i'll wrap the switch panel in sticker type white vinyl then reverse cut the mustang running horse out of gray vinyl so when the light is on it will light up the horse in blue

the housing is cut out to make room for wiring. I can then attach it with screws to the housing (green dots) and easily remove it when I want to add/remove stuff.
Tim

Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:49 pm

A switch for each light? Wow.
AREA 51

Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:52 pm

not so much each light but each bank of lights.
Interior cathodes
interior strobes
engine cathodes
engine strobes
trunk cathodes
headlight strobes
amps remote off

3 switches will control patterns on a nice little silent project and have 2 open ones that will be assigned later. the of course the nitrous control ones
AREA 51

Post Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:53 pm

you guys know me....I dont do a "little" lights. I do a BUNCH of em icon_lol.gif
AREA 51

Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:03 pm

This time each switch will be labeled at the source. I used a block to distribute the power to each switch then off of each switch the acc wire goes to another block where each bank will plug into

another update

alkatmsu

Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:31 pm

Looking good so far.
GlowinPontiac

Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:11 pm

looks good. are you gonna leave it cloudy or color it so you cant see the distro blocks and wiring?
AREA 51

Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:14 pm

nope...wrap it in white automotive vinyl then reverse cut the running horse out of flat black vinyl and rewrap it with that so the cathode lights up the white horse in blue.

the housing will be painted gray to match the stock headliner. The only thing visible when complete will be the running horse about here in the blue circle

josh9015

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:33 am

Do you have any pictures of the cavy switch panel. I never saw it. It looks good so far. Can't wait to see the finished product.
AREA 51

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:52 am

imagine a piece of lexan with 10 black switches like the one above in it screwed to the headliner. Kinda harsh but it did the trick.
AREA 51

Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:24 pm

OK. Its done....

All I have to do now is wire the stuff up. The white lettering has a blue cathode behind it so at night it will glow blue. I was going to take step by step pics but I let my friend borrow my camera so I didnt have a way to capture the bondo stage

Again, this is attached to the headliner without ruining the headliner itself. These are real super fast pics from me installng it tonight. I didnt even dust it off or clean the headliner...I just put it up there. I'll clean it tomorrow

Aken

Post Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:55 pm

Sweet!
alkatmsu

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:16 am

Let's see it lit up! Does it still have the horse backlit, or was it replaced by the lettering?

You and Aken are making me want to install more lights just so I can make a fancy switch panel for them icon_lol.gif
AREA 51

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:44 am

replaced it with the mach 1 badging lit up instead
Icedoutjetta

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:07 am

that looks so kick ass
josh9015

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:20 pm

That is very impressive. Props. So what do all those switches do. Its nice to have that many for expansion
dddx880

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:36 pm

thats looks really sweeet
Losing quickly

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:02 pm

looks really good
Brandon

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:46 pm

props for the craftsmanships for sure. Gives it kind of a **** feel I'm sure icon_biggrin.gif
AREA 51

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:19 pm

all various banks of lighting. Dont want my idea out there just yet. I have all the lights to do it now but just havent made the time to jack it up and start the whole thing. theres the first hint.....

There will also be nitrous bottle opener controls, amp remote off, and one other auxilary clear for expansion

Thanks for the props guys. I'll try to wire it up tomorrow to get a pic of it
Rags

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:17 pm

remote bottle opener would be slick, where would you put the armed trigger?
AREA 51

Post Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:16 pm

right beside the nitrous arm switch.....there is space for more in there
druidman227

Post Thu May 04, 2006 6:36 am

how much would you charge to make a switch pannel for me? give me a general price then i can give you specific dimensions and whatnot if you want to do it. poke.gif
AREA 51

Post Thu May 04, 2006 6:43 am

druidman227 wrote:
how much would you charge to make a switch pannel for me? give me a general price then i can give you specific dimensions and whatnot if you want to do it. poke.gif

I wouldnt. Its a pain in the butt! The other part of that is I have a custom sub box being built for a buddy then I have my own one to build. I wouldnt be able to commit to your project.
druidman227

Post Thu May 04, 2006 6:14 pm

damn. alright, guess i'll have to make one myself. looks awsome. good job
AREA 51

Post Thu May 04, 2006 8:22 pm

I will give you all the tips/suggestions you want and help as much as needed. Its easy to do...you just gotta plan it out and practice
01SIlverSc2

Post Mon May 08, 2006 3:05 pm

Have to post pics of mine soon = ]
druidman227

Post Mon May 08, 2006 3:53 pm

alright. think you could start with a general materials list that includes everything i need besides the actual switches.
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:19 pm
Page 1 of 1