Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Underbody kits Illegal in IL????

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Sep 19, 2003 4:07 pm

I just got the Plasmaglow UB kit. I was just wondering what the laws here in Illinois say about neon lights... Can you drive on the road with the UB's on??? I know you're ok in like parking lots... Can someone please let me know what they know???

Jeff
TypeRBass

Post Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:41 pm

Bad02GAGT wrote:
I just got the Plasmaglow UB kit. I was just wondering what the laws here in Illinois say about neon lights... Can you drive on the road with the UB's on??? I know you're ok in like parking lots... Can someone please let me know what they know???

Jeff

nope can't drive with them on in IL, you'll get your ass raped. IL sucks for neons, when your parked, whatever its fine. although i do get hassled for my red/blue color scheme icon_smile.gif
rthrea1

Post Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:11 am

I have had my fusion kit since April and have not gotten pulled over even once. I drive with them on at all times during the night, usually with color blue. I also have blue LED tire lights for all four wheels and blue Cathodes inside. I do live on the South side of Chicago where the cops are consumed with violent crimes and therefore, for the most part, cannot be concerned with dealing with supposed minor infactions such as a underbody lighting kit. the legality of these lights makes no difference to me, but if I were to get pulled over, I may reference the Illinois state code on lamps and lighting. It can be found here,
http://www.legis.state.il.us/legislation/ilcs/c...act5articles/ch625act5Sub69.htm.

)Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed three
auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than
12 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the
vehicle stands.
)Special restrictions on lamps. (a) No person shall
drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device on the vehicle or equipment displaying a red light visible from
directly in front of the vehicle or equipment except as otherwise
provided in this Act.
)Unless otherwise expressly authorized by this Code, all other
lighting or combination of lighting on any vehicle shall be prohibited.
(Source: P.A. 86-664.)
). Oscillating, rotating or flashing lights on motor
vehicles. Except as otherwise provided in this Code:
(a) The use of red or white oscillating, rotating or flashing
lights, whether lighted or unlighted, is prohibited except on:
1. Law enforcement vehicles of State, Federal or local
authorities;

These clauses probably prove the illegality of the underlights but a loose interpertation could prove them legal. I.E., if red light is not showing from the front of vehicle, lights are not flashing, and tubes are mounted at least 12 inches from the ground, they are legal. I called my district police headquarters about these lights, and they did not even know what I was talking about and all the officer could say was if I had any red lights showing from the front, that is illegal. Many Cops don't know the laws themelves so you stand to get pulled over on mere speculation of illegality. So If you ae scared of that, just don't buy a underlighing kit. Don't be a p*ssy and just have them on in parking lots, you wil be wasting your money trust me. These kits are really impresive when they are on a moving vehicle, not one that is parked. Cops are probably real senseive about these things in the Northern Suburbs because they have nothing better to do for the most part. I don't know where Antioch is, but there may be some local ordinace or something against these. But once again, if your worried about getting pulled over, these kits are not for you.
TypeRBass

Post Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:38 pm

shut up. i bet 75% of the people on this board don't drive with thier ub's on...so dont say its not for you if you dont drive with it on, is there a little card inside the box that says 'if you dont drive with this on we will sent little green martians to your house to eat you alive' ???
ReallyLost

Post Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:56 am

TypeRBass wrote:
'if you dont drive with this on we will sent little green martians to your house to eat you alive' ???

Hmm Where do I need to be sent to & what goes good with a Human? biglaugh.gif
Brandon

Post Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:37 am

"Unless otherwise expressly authorized by this Code, all other
lighting or combination of lighting on any vehicle shall be prohibited"

That right there screws us over. If you are able to drive w/ your lights on, then you are lucky. You must live in a very small, hick town where the cops don't know what neons are. Even in my small town you'd get harassed for interrior lights if they can see the glow.
oliphant

Post Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:58 pm

Quote:
nope can't drive with them on in IL, you'll get your ass raped. IL sucks for neons, when your parked, whatever its fine. although i do get hassled for my red/blue color scheme

You have blue???
dbismyname

Post Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:04 pm

man you dig up some oldddd posts icon_rolleyes.gif
Aken

Post Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:30 pm

Ya really....
pOrk

Post Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:45 am

sleeping.gif
TypeRBass

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:38 am

oliphant wrote:
Quote:
nope can't drive with them on in IL, you'll get your ass raped. IL sucks for neons, when your parked, whatever its fine. although i do get hassled for my red/blue color scheme

You have blue???

damn did you look at the date before you replied? that was over 6 months ago, when i had blue.
DragonJeep

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:50 pm

Did YOU look at the date before YOU replied...you replied about a month later.
super_accord

Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:02 pm

biglaugh.gif
Spkrman

Post Thu May 13, 2004 1:03 am

Brandon wrote:
You must live in a very small, hick town where the cops don't know what neons are. Even in my small town you'd get harassed for interrior lights if they can see the glow.

i can attest to them not caring on the southside on chicago. Go a little farther south (me) and they harass the hell out of you for anything and everything.

You can have them on when your not moving...yellow anywhere, red on the back. Thats about it.

And yea...old post icon_smile.gif
pOrk

Post Thu May 13, 2004 2:54 pm

sleeping.gif
TypeRBass

Post Thu May 13, 2004 4:53 pm

Spkrman wrote:
Brandon wrote:
You must live in a very small, hick town where the cops don't know what neons are. Even in my small town you'd get harassed for interrior lights if they can see the glow.

i can attest to them not caring on the southside on chicago. Go a little farther south (me) and they harass the hell out of you for anything and everything.

You can have them on when your not moving...yellow anywhere, red on the back. Thats about it.

And yea...old post icon_smile.gif

your from the same area as me, your from matteson..im from tinley park...cops around here aren't bad about lights. although one cop has it out for me. as long as your parked they dont care, as long as it doesnt look like your impersonating a police officer, they'll really rape you if you have whelens too.
munozsblazer

Post Thu May 13, 2004 5:19 pm

eh, i have had my interior neons and no problems yet, i just have LED's under my dash lights, no cathodes or anything bright... icon_twisted.gif yet!
i forgot i had my UB's on one night, and drove round town with em on, shoulda known somethin funky when everyone on teh sidewalks and shyt was starin at my ride. i dint get harassed.
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 8:44 am
Page 1 of 1