Considering the laws regarding underbody light kits in Illinois?

All sorts of flashing, oscillating or non-stationary lights would be considered illegal in illinois. So is it even legal for you to have that led underbody light kit if it isn’t flashing and is completely stationary, could you still get a ticket in Illinois? The law states that even if they are not lighted, it would be illegal to have these sort of under car lights. Since most underglow kits are capable of flashing and changing colors, it’s probably best to stay clear of these in Illinois all together.

Extra Information

TypeRBass

Bad02GAGT wrote:
I just got the Plasmaglow UB kit. I was just wondering what the laws here in Illinois say about neon lights… Can you drive on the road with the UB’s on??? I know you’re ok in like parking lots… Can someone please let me know what they know???

Jeff:
nope can’t drive with them on in IL, you’ll get your ass raped. IL sucks for neons, when your parked, whatever its fine. although i do get hassled for my red/blue color scheme 

rthrea1

I have had my fusion kit since April and have not gotten pulled over even once. I drive with them on at all times during the night, usually with color blue. I also have blue LED tire lights for all four wheels and blue Cathodes inside. I do live on the South side of Chicago where the cops are consumed with violent crimes and therefore, for the most part, cannot be concerned with dealing with supposed minor infactions such as a underbody lighting kit. the legality of these lights makes no difference to me, but if I were to get pulled over, I may reference the Illinois state code on lamps and lighting. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed three
auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than
12 inches nor more than 42 inches above the level surface upon which the
vehicle stands.

)Special restrictions on lamps. (a) No person shall
drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device on the vehicle or equipment displaying a red light visible from
directly in front of the vehicle or equipment except as otherwise
provided in this Act.
)Unless otherwise expressly authorized by this Code, all other
lighting or combination of lighting on any vehicle shall be prohibited.
(Source: P.A. 86-664.)

). Oscillating, rotating or flashing lights on motor
vehicles. Except as otherwise provided in this Code:
(a) The use of red or white oscillating, rotating or flashing
lights, whether lighted or unlighted, is prohibited except on:

1. Law enforcement vehicles of State, Federal or local
authorities;These clauses probably prove the illegality of the underlights but a loose interpertation could prove them legal. I.E., if red light is not showing from the front of vehicle, lights are not flashing, and tubes are mounted at least 12 inches from the ground, they are legal. I called my district police headquarters about these lights, and they did not even know what I was talking about and all the officer could say was if I had any red lights showing from the front, that is illegal.

Many Cops don’t know the laws themelves so you stand to get pulled over on mere speculation of illegality. So If you ae scared of that, just don’t buy a underlighing kit. Don’t be a p*ssy and just have them on in parking lots, you wil be wasting your money trust me.

These kits are really impresive when they are on a moving vehicle, not one that is parked. Cops are probably real senseive about these things in the Northern Suburbs because they have nothing better to do for the most part. I don’t know where Antioch is, but there may be some local ordinace or something against these. But once again, if your worried about getting pulled over, these kits are not for you.

Latest Blog Posts