Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

LED Brake / Running Light Controller Diagram

Author
Owner, Oznium.com

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:37 pm

So if you're building custom LED brake lights, you'll want to have full intensity when the brake is pressed, and somewhere around half intensity when you're just cruising.

It is best to use a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) circuit that flashes the LEDs on and off really fast (faster than the human eye can detect). This gives the appearance of dimming.

Oznium.com offers a simple LED dimmer for $19.99 that can easily be used to control your LED brake light project.

Not just for brake lights though! You could easily adapt this method for dimming interior lights, headlight accents, whatever...

BUY AT OZNIUM.COM for $16.99: https://www.oznium.com/switches/rotary-led-dimmer

And the relay: https://www.oznium.com/wire-12v-and-relays/relay40

The cool thing about this LED dimmer is that you can simply "dial in" the best brightness level once, and then just leave it.

User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image

TWO WIRING METHODS

Is your control source a negative/ground switched wire?
Meaning, is the positive wire constantly connected,
and the negative/ground wire the one that is switched on and off...
User posted image

----------

Is your control source a positive/power switched wire?
Meaning, is the negative/ground wire constantly connected,
and the positive/power wire the one that is switched on and off...
User posted image

BUY AT OZNIUM.COM for $19.99: https://www.oznium.com/switches/rotary-led-dimmer

And the relay: https://www.oznium.com/wire-12v-and-relays/relay40
Chris

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:16 pm

Couldnt you do this with a simple resistor and transistor?
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:50 pm

I really doubt it, but could be wrong.
Milan

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:11 am

I think I will need something like to see how bright the factory brake lights are, unless someone else has a better idea icon_confused.gif
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:49 pm

Another diagram, for just using the LED dimmer in its most basic application:

User posted image
User posted image
kramer13
Oznium Employee

Post Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:19 pm

Also, the dimmer will not work with the Spots or Floods.
Whelan

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:39 am

I can understand the need in that it allows you to select the amount of brightness or dim you want. But what about an item like this:

Converts any Flexible Array into a dual intensity Running/Brake Light or Running/Turn Signal. Allows array to illuminate at 1/2 intensity for running lights and full intensity for brake lights. Application chart shows what circuit you need depending on 5-10, 15-25, 30-60, 65-100 LEDs.
Milan

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:03 am

Whelan wrote:
I can understand the need in that it allows you to select the amount of brightness or dim you want. But what about an item like this

If you don't want your lights to match your factory lights, then that would work. It allows the full brightness of the LED's for the brakes, and then cuts that brightness in half (which may or may not look good) for the parking lights.
Whelan

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:26 am

For me it would work, I already have LEDs for a 3rd brake light that were custom made. The brake lamps would be full LED instead of the bulbs in there now. They do not make LED tail lights for the 03-08 Toyota Matrix (just every other Toyota ever made). So I'm SOL for this unless I do it myself. But I need dual intensity.

Unless of course I wire some into the stop and others into the park.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:19 pm

Whelan wrote:
I can understand the need in that it allows you to select the amount of brightness or dim you want. But what about an item like this:

Converts any Flexible Array into a dual intensity Running/Brake Light or Running/Turn Signal. Allows array to illuminate at 1/2 intensity for running lights and full intensity for brake lights. Application chart shows what circuit you need depending on 5-10, 15-25, 30-60, 65-100 LEDs.

Yes, technically a simple resistor will work, but it is really a bad way to do it. You can choose between 5-10, 15,25, 30-60, and 65-100 LEDs. Well all LEDs are not the same. Some are brighter and draw a more power than others, thus screwing up the calculations. You're going to need a huge power resistor for any serious brake lamp application you're building. It seems that trying to use a resistor for this is just like taking shots in the dark.

The PWM circuit (LED dimmer) is a much better way to do it. Why would you want to use a resistor?
Milan

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:34 pm

Phil wrote:
You're going to need a huge power resistor for any serious brake lamp application
I would think it would get rather hot too icon_sad.gif
bad venge

Post Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:02 pm

It's a rediculously LARGE high wattage resistor ...
Also IF you have the taillight monitors LED's will LIKELY show you have a burnt out bulb , AND the turns will flash fast
Whelan

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:51 am

Lucky for me I dont have that taillight out icon.
byte

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:54 pm

Phil wrote:
Whelan wrote:

Yes, technically a simple resistor will work, but it is really a bad way to do it. You can choose between 5-10, 15,25, 30-60, and 65-100 LEDs. Well all LEDs are not the same. Some are brighter and draw a more power than others, thus screwing up the calculations. You're going to need a huge power resistor for any serious brake lamp application you're building. It seems that trying to use a resistor for this is just like taking shots in the dark.

The PWM circuit (LED dimmer) is a much better way to do it. Why would you want to use a resistor?

If that is a resistor, why does it have 3 wires?
Milan

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:20 pm

byte wrote:
If that is a resistor, why does it have 3 wires?
Because it's part of a circuit... icon_wink.gif
Frankenstrat

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:48 am

Could you wire this directly to the tail light pigtails?
bad venge

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:57 am

See your other question for will it work ...
YES you can wire direct to the taillight sockets ect
vphoto

Post Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:21 pm

I own a Suzuki Burgman scooter and would like to use the rotary style dimmer switch along with two prewired surface mount LEDs as lighting for some of my controls on my handlebars. As I understand it, the LEDs are very bright so that is why I would need the dimmer.

Would I need a switch for each LED or can they both be wired into one switch. Secondly, I plan to wire them switched power utilizing a Fuzeblock ( http://www.fuzeblocks.com/) Is this possible?
bad venge

Post Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:24 pm

depending on your application you can install a resistor to dim them as well , and make it not adjustable , and your sitch question yes you can easily wire them to one switch
The time now is Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:30 am
Page 1 of 1