Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Wiring Diagram Theories - Summer Project

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:48 pm

Hello everyone!

So this summer I'll be returning home from Afghanistan and I intend to install some goodies into my 2006 Chevy Silverado! The top three on the list are: 1. Lights; 2. Hard-wired GPS unit; 3. Backup Camera.

I've already had the wiring diagram proofread here and am prepared to knock that out in a few hours when I get home. I figure I might as well just run ALL of my wiring while I've got my truck torn apart! I would appreciate any insight or previous experience anyone could shed onto the plausibility/flaws of the following systems.

Backup Camera:
I will be installing the camera to my Pioneer AVH-3200DVD Head Unit. The HU has the capability to switch to the camera view anytime the vehicle is put in reverse. I don't need that to happen so I'm planning on installing a switch to "fool" the system and switch to the camera view whenever I want it to. The following is the proposed wiring diagram:

User posted image

Do you feel this is a decent set-up? Any experience on whether or not the switch will work? If not I can just select the camera through the menus, no big deal! Any suggestions?

Hard-Wired GPS Power Supply:
I'm planning on doing a somewhat clean install for the mount to a Garmin Nuvi 265T in my Silverado. Rather than install it into the dash I'm going to be installing some thread rod into the end of one of the mounting "balls" and bolting it into the dash (you're going to have to go with me on this one that it's going to NOT look like crap). This way I can still remove the unit at will. I plan on running the power cord through the dash and out through a hidden hole in one of the "cubby compartments" in the dash. Do you see any problems with the following diagram?

User posted image

I would greatly appreciate any and all input that you can provide or experience with installs such as this. I will most definitely be posting updated pics when all of this is done. Y'all need to see Blackerado!

-FreakShow
PwrRngr

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:59 am

Yes the grounds are necessary on the relays. The power source is connected to one side of a coil. The ground is connected to the other side of the coil. When 12V is applied across this coil, it creates a magnetic field that closes the switch above. Without the ground, the relay won't do anything.
FreakShow

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:59 am

Ah, so that's how they work. You learn something new everyday! Does everything else look like it should work, then? I would imagine the GPS will work without a problem (I may throw in a switch between the remote wire and the relay even to limit when power is being drawn by that circuit).
Do you think the switch for the backup camera will work to fool the HU? I suppose that's the part that I'm most leery about right now.

I appreciate the assistance!

FreakShow
bad venge

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:12 am

You REALLY don't need the relays in either case. You can wire either into a switched source like the head units switched power wire, or use an add a fuse and wire both together.

The switch to turn on the camera should work fine you can leave it on to run all the time as well.
FreakShow

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:39 pm

Ok, I'll have to take a look at the HU wiring diagram when I get home again then. The main reason that I threw the relays into the mix here was that I wanted the GPS and rearview camera to only come on if the HU was on. I figured I could just hard wire them into the power to/from the HU but I wasn't sure how it would handle that kind of power draw. Having the relays would allow me to only provide them power when the truck/HU is on but also draw power straight from the battery/alternator.

You don't think that the GPS and camera would be pulling too much power and possibly draw more than the 10amp fuse in the HU can handle? Would that affect the output power levels to the amp and subs?

I appreciate all of your help!

FreakShow
bad venge

Post Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:52 pm

Most head units have a 15 amp fuse in the cars fusebox the head unit has a 10 amp you have 5 to spare the gps pulls very little as does the camera ... as mentioned if you are concerned use an add a fuse on the radio fuse slot
Tat2Dragons

Post Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:21 pm

Hey there FreakShow, as usual lots of good info in here. icon_cool.gif I just thought I'd chime in because my setup just happens to be very similar to what you're describing. As for connections, I grounded my camera only a few inches away from itself and the cameras power wire I wired in with the head units switched power source, so it's powered whenever the head unit is on. I wired the head units reverse trigger wire to the positive reverse light wire and also to a hidden dash mounted rocker switch. I used a diode to prevent voltage from back feeding. I prefer having it wired this way because it allows me the option of turning it on anytime I want, not just in reverse. As for wiring up your GPS, I have a Garmin Nuvi 765T in my ride and I have it hardwired/tied into the head units switched power source, fused of course. I also have a somewhat similar GPS mounting as to what you are trying to do, except I purchase a billet aluminum ball mount from an Ebay seller that looks and works great.

Here's some pics for your viewing pleasure.lol:)

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image
FreakShow

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:02 pm

Tat2Dragons, that looks awesome! Thanks for the info. I'm glad to see that it's working out for you and that someone else had roughly the same idea that I did! Maybe I'm not as crazy as I thought.

A quick question: (I can't see the first three pictures - they may answer the questions, if they do I apologize) Is your dioded installed so that it prevents backfeeding to the reverse lamp? I'm assuming that this is the case but we all know what assuming does...

So theoretically if I had my reverse trigger hooked to a constant power source with a switch I could turn the reverse camera on even while driving forward?

Now I just gotta find the wiring harness diagram to figure out which is my switched power wire again!

Thanks for all the advice again, fellas!

FreakShow
bad venge

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:28 pm

CHEVROLET / SILVERADO / 2006 / Remote Start

12volts red (40A), red (40A) + ignition harness
Starter yellow + ignition harness
Second Starter N/A
Ignition pink + ignition harness
Second Ignition white + ignition harness
Notes: To avoid the check engine light from coming on and possible damage to the automatic transmission, the second ignition in this vehicle MUST be powered when adding a remote start system.
Third Ignition N/A
Accessory orange + ignition harness
Second Accessory brown + ignition harness
Keysense lt. green - ignition harness
Power Lock use Directed module 1700G
Notes: If interface module is not available, refer to DirectFax document 1601.
Tat2Dragons

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:44 pm

FreakShow wrote:
Tat2Dragons, that looks awesome! Thanks for the info. I'm glad to see that it's working out for you and that someone else had roughly the same idea that I did! Maybe I'm not as crazy as I thought.

A quick question: (I can't see the first three pictures - they may answer the questions, if they do I apologize) Is your dioded installed so that it prevents backfeeding to the reverse lamp? I'm assuming that this is the case but we all know what assuming does...

So theoretically if I had my reverse trigger hooked to a constant power source with a switch I could turn the reverse camera on even while driving forward?

Now I just gotta find the wiring harness diagram to figure out which is my switched power wire again!

Thanks for all the advice again, fellas!

FreakShow

Your quite welcome Sir. and thanks for the complement, I appreciate it. icon_smile.gif Yes, the diode prevents voltage from back feeding into the reverse light circuit. If a diode was not in place the voltage back feeding into the circuit would cause the reverse lights to come on anytime the switch was turned on, which while driving down the road is not something you'd want. Also, yes...if you have your switch wired to a constant 12volt source, it would allow you to turn it on anytime you're driving. I'd recommend that you wire it to a switched source though and also wire it to your reverse light power wire, this way it will come on whenever your vehicle is in reverse and whenever you decide to turn on your switch. icon_cool.gif
FreakShow

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:52 pm

Ok, so it looks like I'll be tapping the Orange wire. Too easy.

Nice, I like the idea of being able to selectively choose when it's on and also having it turn on whenever I'm in reverse. That wouldn't be too difficult to wire up either. I'd basically just be installing it the way you have it set up and the way I planned on setting it up and tying the two into the reverse trigger. Too easy! You guys rock.

Thanks again!

FreakShow
Tat2Dragons

Post Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:18 pm

You're welcome. Yeah, I find being able to turn the reverse camera on anytime I want very useful and I'm sure you will too. icon_smile.gif
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 6:48 am
Page 1 of 1