Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Help wiring tail light on motorcycle

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:15 pm

I purchased all the necessary products and used the following diagram to install the LED strip as a brake light on my motorcycle. I used the following diagram to do so.
https://www.oznium.com/images/wiring_diagrams/led_dimmer/led_dimmer_positive.jpg

Everything works fine except for the fact that the LED strip stays on when I turn my bike off. Did I use the wrong diagram?
Should I have used this diagram instead?
https://www.oznium.com/images/wiring_diagrams/led_dimmer/led_dimmer_negative.jpg

Thanks for the help.
bugs825

Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:16 pm

ok are you saying that the brake (bright) light comes on when the bike is off or the running (dim) light stays on?

Nathan
jmoddes

Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:38 pm

You have it connected to the battery. The diagrams you see are if you just use straight battery where it's on all the time (as an example since batteries are 12 volt sources.

You need to connect the positive wires to the tail AND brake lights.

then your lights will turn on and off with the bike respectively.

Hope that helps.
bad venge

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:06 am

Check the VOLTAGE with the bike off , I'm betting theres a small voltage causing the light to stay on
eselocoss

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:56 am

bugs825 wrote:
ok are you saying that the brake (bright) light comes on when the bike is off or the running (dim) light stays on?

Nathan

The running light stays on when the bike is off.
bugs825

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:24 pm

ok 87a is the normally closed relay position. To keep the running light off when the bike is off you need change the power (red wire with fuse) to an accessory feed. In other words get your power from something that turns off with the key. By tapping the battery it is hot all the time. Keep in mind that this will make the running light work at all times the bike is on. I am not used to working with bikes!

Nathan
eselocoss

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:21 am

bugs825 wrote:
ok 87a is the normally closed relay position. To keep the running light off when the bike is off you need change the power (red wire with fuse) to an accessory feed. In other words get your power from something that turns off with the key. By tapping the battery it is hot all the time. Keep in mind that this will make the running light work at all times the bike is on. I am not used to working with bikes!

Nathan

Thanks a lot for the help. I know this stuff is obvious to a lot of people but i don't know much about wiring or electricity.
bugs825

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:24 pm

No prob dude!

Nathan
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:33 pm
Page 1 of 1