Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

LED Rocker switch won't light up

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:52 pm

I ordered the Scion LED rocker switch and installed it into the car. The switch part works fine (can turn on and off the FM modulator that I installed.) But the green light on the switch won't light up. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for all your help icon_smile.gif
Kevin_S

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:00 pm

i know this might seem like a dumb question:
did you ground the switch to a proper ground?
main-e-ax

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:09 pm

That is the only way it wouldn't work. The black wire is there for a reason icon_biggrin.gif
sdoubleu

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:20 pm

Could the light bulb have blown a fuse? I took it apart and it looks like the filaments in the bulb are still intact. As for the wiring, here's the situation. I'm not exactly an electrician so I apologize if my question seems dumb as well icon_smile.gif

There are 2 wires that the original switch came with. They were clips that slid into the prongs that stuck out the back of the original switch. Both wires are black. Since the clips didn't really fit over the new switch's prongs, I spliced the wires so they could wrap around the screws on the LED switch. I tried placing the wires on all combination of the prongs that the LED rocker switch came with. Am I supposed to connect the 2 wires to the 2 prongs and then get a seperate wire and place that on the "ground" prong and screw that into a metal part on my car? Again thanks to everyone for their help.
Drifting10

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:23 pm

im pretty sure that one wire its positive that comes from your batt onr is possitive that goes to your lights and one is ground
Kevin_S

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:25 pm

I'm assuming you bought this:
https://www.oznium.com/switches/scion-switch-led

and it looks like this on the bottom:
3 PINS!
1=power 12v source
2= accessory (to your cathode or leds or whatever)
3= ground -- anything metal on your car

User posted image
sdoubleu

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:18 pm

Hi Kevin, Thanks for the reply. Yes that is the one I bought. But the problem is, which pin is which? According to the numbers in the back I have pin #2, #3 and #4. So which one corresponds to the 1, 2 and 3 you mention in your post? Also when you say anything metal in your car, can it simply be wrapped around a screw or something?Thanks again for the help!
main-e-ax

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:21 pm

I'm guessin the one on top is 1, middle is 2, bottom is 3. That is how it is in my Rocker switch anyways.
sdoubleu

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:22 pm

Wow you guys respond fast! I love you all! icon_smile.gif so does this means I have to have an extra wire to ground with? Can I use any kind of wire lying around the house?
main-e-ax

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:51 pm

As long as it isn't smaller than 18 gauge i'd say.

But with your best wishes in mind i would say either run to the nearest auto store, or wal mart or such and get some 18 gauge automotive wire. Makes things so much simpler.
sdoubleu

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:09 pm

Ok so here's what happened. I followed the assignments above so I assumed 1 and 4 were the same and left 2 and 3 alone. So first I placed wires on 1/4 and 2 and the ground wire on 3. The unit worked but the light didn't go on. Then I placed wires on 2 and 3 and the ground wire on 1. Wow the light worked and the unit worked. Problem now? The light won't go off. It stays lighted regardless if the unit is on or off, so that doesn't really do me any good. Then I placed the wires on 1/4 and 3 and the ground wire on 2 WHAM blew the fuse to my radio. So now I'm stuck. I got the green to light up so I know the LED works, but shouldn't it only come on when I switch on the unit and turn off when I'm done with it? I currently have the ground wired wrapped around a screw on a metal part of my car behind my brake pedal. Any ideas?
main-e-ax

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:11 pm

i have an idea. Take some pics for me because all these numbers are jumbling in my head icon_biggrin.gif.

take a pic of the set up that worked but the light wouldnt turn off.
sdoubleu

Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:12 pm

K one sec, I'll draw the pic on the diagram above it'll work better Thanks main!
Well here it is. At least that's the way I remembered it.

Kevin_S

Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:57 am

your fuse blew because you touched your ground and a positive together. don't do that.

to fix your problem, leave your ground where it is and switch your other two wires.
sdoubleu

Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:21 pm

Kevin and main you guys are awesome. I switched the wires and it worked like a charm woo hoo! Thanks again for all the help guys icon_smile.gif
Aken

Post Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:03 pm

And amazingly, this could've been answered if you just read the product page =)

https://www.oznium.com/switches/scion-switch-led
Quote:
Wiring Directions:

On the back of the switch next to the connectors, there are small numbered markings.

#2: 12v Positive Source (IE battery, fuse block, etc)
#3: 12v Accessory (12v+ to your lights)
#4: Ground (for the LED on the switch)
Drifting10

Post Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:09 pm

haha aken you *******
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:10 pm
Page 1 of 1