“So what is an amplifier remote turn-on wire?” you might ask.

Your remote turn-on wire simply communicates to the amp that it needs to switch on.

If you opt for turning your amp on manually and would like to know how to turn on amp without the remote wire, here are some things you need to keep in mind:

You can rewire it using a relay off the switched power wire to the radio to a relay, you need to use the distribution block to the amp as a source. However, if you have more than one amp, it’s recommended that you don’t use a relay. Instead you could connect a wire from the switched power for the stereo to activate the relay.


FORUM THREAD


 

Fordy55

Joined: Mar 18 2010
Posts: 29
Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:16 pm

I plan on tapping into the wire that goes into my amp from the radio (Remote Turn on). Is this a good source of power for running a few LEDs? I want the LEDs to come on whenever my radio is on so I figured this would work. Is this safe to do? Or should I use a relay and tap into the 12v wire that is connected from the amp to the battery and then use the remote turn on wire to power up the relay.

Any help is greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

Tdawgthegreatest

Joined: Jul 22 2007
Posts: 5093
Location: Florence, Oregon
Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:20 pm

I’ve hooked up LED’s to the Remote wire before. Dont see a problem with it.
Moss

Joined: Mar 23 2004
Posts: 6436
Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:49 pm

Tdawgthegreatest wrote:
I’ve hooked up LED’s to the Remote wire before. Dont see a problem with it.

A risk I would not take.

Tdawgthegreatest

Joined: Jul 22 2007
Posts: 5093
Location: Florence, Oregon
Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:50 pm

Moss wrote:
Tdawgthegreatest wrote:
I’ve hooked up LED’s to the Remote wire before. Dont see a problem with it.

A risk I would not take.

For why? Its 12v.

Moss

Joined: Mar 23 2004
Posts: 6436
Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:58 pm

Tdawgthegreatest wrote:
Moss wrote:
Tdawgthegreatest wrote:
I’ve hooked up LED’s to the Remote wire before. Dont see a problem with it.

A risk I would not take.

For why? Its 12v.

So are some wires that connect to my air bag, should I tap into those? Let’s start tossing that out for install advice. **** it why not?

This board used to be wire and fuse directly to your battery. Now it’s a **** play ground of hooking up inexpensive stuff made overseas to any form of factory wiring without any rhyme or reason to the fusing, fuse size or draw. Will it work, sure why not, but where is the fuse on that remote line? What’s the gauge, what’s the amp draw? What’s going to happen if the LED shorts? What about down the road when he wants to add more? Should he just keep taping 12 volt lines? Where will the madness stop?

Fordy55

Joined: Mar 18 2010
Posts: 29
Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:29 pm

I tapped into the amp remote wire to power 2 leds for my cupholders. Works perfect (for now). But thank you for both sides, I guess I won’t add any more LEDs to that wire icon_redface.gif
Tat2Dragons

Joined: Jan 21 2007
Posts: 3404
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:28 pm

^^That should be fine,hopefully you added a fuse. You can’t really power much off the remote turn on lead anyway,because it’s output is only a few milliamps.
bad venge

Joined: Jul 28 2007
Posts: 3550
Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:56 am

You have to be VERY cautious adding load to the remote wire it’s more a “signal” wire to turn on the amp it’s not designed to source higher amounts of current and can damage the internals of your head unit .
Neighbor wanted to turn on fans to cool his amps and tried to tap into the remote line, I warned him and he didn’t listen. He blew up the head units remote section on the board sent in for repair and $250 later it was repaired($1500 head unit)
I rewired it using a relay off the switched power wire to the radio to a relay , using the distribution block to the amp as a source.
The CORRECT way is to use the Power lead from the radio to trigger a relay .
Fordy55

Joined: Mar 18 2010
Posts: 29
Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:07 am

So your saying I should do this:

Use a rely and tap in constant 12v Power. Then use the remote turn on to open/close the relay?

Just trying to clarify… thanks!

PwrRngr

Joined: Jul 19 2007
Posts: 4407
Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:39 am

Moss wrote:
Now it’s a **** play ground of hooking up inexpensive stuff made overseas to any form of factory wiring without any rhyme or reason to the fusing, fuse size or draw. Will it work, sure why not, but where is the fuse on that remote line? What’s the gauge, what’s the amp draw? What’s going to happen if the LED shorts? What about down the road when he wants to add more? Should he just keep taping 12 volt lines? Where will the madness stop?

x100000.

The amount of bad wiring advice on here is amazing. Hook wires up to anything. Fuse based off the load. It seems that most people have the mentality that if it worked for me, it’s the right way to do it. Just b/c it works doesn’t mean it’s correct. I can use duct tape to hold on a bumper and it’ll look great. That doesn’t me it’s the correct way to do it.

If you’re going to use the remote wire, put it on a relay.

Spawn

Joined: Feb 14 2006
Posts: 501
Location: Toronto, ON
Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:52 am

Agreed with PwrRngr. Use the remote as a trigger for a relay that is drawing 12v either from one of the power outlets or from a distribution block directly connected to the battery.
bad venge

Joined: Jul 28 2007
Posts: 3550
Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:46 am

If you have multiple amps I WOULD NOT add the relay I’d run a line from the Switched power for the radio to Activate the relay .

If you have a single amp you can tap the remote line to trigger the relay .

If you have more then three amps I run the power thru a relay for each amps remote trigger

Remember each amp pulls power from the head units remote line , Add a relay and there can be too much draw … Why risk damaging a head unit when you don’t have to … I can run a wire from the head unit back in most cars in 10/20 minutes

Tat2Dragons

Joined: Jan 21 2007
Posts: 3404
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:00 pm

I most certainly agree with what all you guys are saying,but I was only commenting on his current setup with only two l.e.d.s being powered off the remote turn on wire.icon_smile.gif
Moss

Joined: Mar 23 2004
Posts: 6436
Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:03 pm

Tat2Dragons wrote:
I most certainly agree with what all you guys are saying,but I was only commenting on his current setup with only two l.e.d.s being powered off the remote turn on wire.icon_smile.gif

It’s bad practice.

PwrRngr

Joined: Jul 19 2007
Posts: 4407
Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:10 pm

Moss wrote:
Tat2Dragons wrote:
I most certainly agree with what all you guys are saying,but I was only commenting on his current setup with only two l.e.d.s being powered off the remote turn on wire.icon_smile.gif

It’s bad practice.

Exactly. Just b/c it can be done it doesn’t me it should be done that way. If you’re not going to do it right, don’t do it at all.

Tat2Dragons

Joined: Jan 21 2007
Posts: 3404
Location: Baltimore Maryland
Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:08 am

PwrRngr wrote:
Moss wrote:
Tat2Dragons wrote:
I most certainly agree with what all you guys are saying,but I was only commenting on his current setup with only two l.e.d.s being powered off the remote turn on wire.icon_smile.gif

It’s bad practice.

Exactly. Just b/c it can be done it doesn’t me it should be done that way. If you’re not going to do it right, don’t do it at all.

Simmer down guys icon_razz.gif I never said they should be wired that way and it’s definitely not how I would of wired them. icon_rolleyes.gif Like I said before,I was only commenting on his current setup which was only two measly l.e.d.s connected to the remote turn on wire,which if he made solid connections/fused it properly is certainly not going to be a problem. icon_smile.gif

EricCartman

Joined: Oct 24 2008
Posts: 175
Location: Oregon
Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:13 am

PwrRngr wrote:
Exactly. Just b/c it can be done it doesn’t me it should be done that way. If you’re not going to do it right, don’t do it at all.

I prefer if your not going to do it right, don’t cry to me when it breaks. icon_twisted.gif