Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

How to convert 110V to 12V?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:17 pm

Sup guys! I really love how LED and Cathodes glow. I have some in my computer case, and its just so cool.

I really want to put one like behind my TV too. Do you guys know how to wire a 110V to 12V? From outlet to LED's?

Thanks!
GlowinPontiac

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:48 pm

use a computer power supply or wall transformer.

this one is very good.

https://www.oznium.com/power-adapters/power-supply
toddthecat

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:15 pm

Transformers are all over for cheap. Walmart or Target should have some for like $10 or $15. They'll be rated at only a few amps but that's enough to run dozens of cathodes.
GlowinPontiac

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:43 pm

toddthecat wrote:
Transformers are all over for cheap. Walmart or Target should have some for like $10 or $15. They'll be rated at only a few amps but that's enough to run dozens of cathodes.

actually they will be rated in miliamps and will be strained running even a single set of thodes.

even 1amp is high for a wall transformer.
ImagoX

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:52 am

Agree with Glowin... For $15 you can get a PC power supply that will run a truckload of cathode transformers.

There are instructions on the page that he linked to above that show how to wire the PC power supply such that it works when not connected to a motherboard. I followed them myself and they woork perfectly - the only thing I did differently was to install alligator clips on the positive and ground wires, so that I could use the power supply to test my wiring jobs. Obviously, if you mean to use the power supply to run cathodes in a permanent installation, that won't be necessary.
toddthecat

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:09 am

My bad. I've got an old ass one that is 4 amps. Figured that wasn't really uncommon...
itzbjorn

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:31 am

What about when you don't have the room or ablity to hide a power supply? Is there nohting smaller that could run 3 or 4 flexstrips?
ImagoX

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:10 am

You don't have room behind a television to hide a power supply? Must be a teensy set. icon_wink.gif
itzbjorn

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:25 am

I'm not the one wanting it behind a TV...

I have a gun cabinet made of wood/glass that I'd like to add glow to, but the design doesn't really allow me to hide a PSU.

I also have a few other applications where space might be limited.
ImagoX

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:40 am

Ah. I see. Well, good luck, then. If it were me, I'd just stash is behind the cabinet and use a power strip or other switch to turn it on and off, but obviously I can't see the actual unit you mean to add the glow to.

I'd simply google "12V DC converter" and see what you get. There are tons of specialty electronics places on the web. Even a 5A unit will do you. Of course, such a unit will almost certainly be designed to be used in a hidden location and so will not be pretty to look at - either way, you'll likely have to build a small box or cabinet to hide it from view. if you have basic woodworking tooks and skill, though, you should be able to bash together something out of scraps. Stain and varnish it to the same finish as your cabinet, put a small switch on it and set it in the bottom. Should be pretty unobtrusive, I'd think.

OR, you could do the same thing for a PC power supply - a small micro ATX unit typically measures 150mm x 83mm x 43mm, and you'll need a bit of extra room for ventilation.

See: for a unit under $30.
djtecthreat

Post Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:08 pm

look around for a used (junk draw stylee) laptop power supply that's pushing out between 12 and 14 or so volts, anywhere in there is good. Then just cut the end off, find the polarity with a DMM and you'll be set.
HONDAxACURA

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:56 pm

Thanks guys. The powersupply idea is ok, but I don't want a bulky thing like next to the computer. =P If it has to come down to that, i might.

I want to hear more about the wall transformer... Any more info? Thanks guys!
GlowinPontiac

Post Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:41 pm

if your running led strips than even a milliamp transformer will work. leds draw MUCH LESS than cathodes.
Customizer22

Post Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:02 pm

I used a remote control car charger that i just plugged into the wall and then wired the LED at the end and held it together with electrical tape
ancona46

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:33 am

wow thats a fire waiting to happen icon_eek.gif
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:04 pm
Page 1 of 1