Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Door won't open!

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:58 pm

Ugh, well I went to open my rear door on the Park Ave today and it didn't do anything.
Didn't open on the inside, either.
So, either the child lock got put on by accident and the outside handle broke.. orrrr, I'm not sure what else.

Grreeeaaat.

So I managed to get the door skin off with it closed and played with all of the connections inside, the outside, inside, and lock connection are all hooked up. Also, the lock solenoid works, because the power locks move the manual lock thingy on the handle.
I even found the child lock mechanical on the inside and popped it on and off, still nothing.
Everything says this door should open right up.. the only thing that I could think that may actually be wrong is something in the little latch mechanism itself (that holds the door peg to keep it closed).

I'm pretty sure I could correct it if I could get it open but I'm out of ideas.. can nayone else lend a decent idea?
Kevin_S

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:01 pm

blow at sumbitch up! baha...
justin

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Try and find a repair manual online that shows a proper assembly for the door.

Otherwise, torch it and collect insurance icon_smile.gif
clutch1

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:58 pm

Meh, that's all I need is two cars gone in 2007.

I think tomorrow or Friday I'll try taking the door off the hinges because this ain't working, but thaaaanks for the ideas.
justin

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:11 pm

I wouldn't bother taking it off the hinges. What does that gain you?

If it all looks correct, like you've said, there is something very minor wrong here.
Fo_SheeZy

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:12 pm

Kevin_S wrote:

Hahahahahaha that made me laugh.
Losing quickly

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:27 pm

Why did you take the door skin off? Why not take the door panel off?
corvettecrazy

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:40 pm

Losing quickly wrote:
Why did you take the door skin off? Why not take the door panel off?

he used door skin instead of door panel.

I dont see why you couldn't shove a screwdriver into the latch area and move something around enough to unlatch the door.
corvettecrazy

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:58 pm

there are a couple of possibilities.

1 there is so much dirt and the latch area is so gummed up that it wont release. if you notice this spraying some lube in there may free it up.

OR

it is possible one of the springs in the latch assembly broke not allowing it to release via either handle. if this is the case you should be able to reach in and undo the latch enough to get the door open and remove the latch assembly. at which point you can further investigate and then realize they are not a cheap part icon_lol.gif
clutch1

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:12 pm

Yea, to me doorskin= doorpanel.

I like the lube idea, I'll try that first thing when I **** around with it.
The highes Idea was to hopefully gain some motion and maybe be able to slide or angle it off, or push the latch open by moving the door, I'm not totally sure.

I can feel the whole assebly in there, so I'll try and find exactly what part is holding onto the peg that connects to the car and try the screwdriver thing, too.

Thanks for the ideas corvette.
corvettecrazy

Post Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:26 pm

it used to be fairly common for a spring in the assembly to break causing neither of the handles to work. Its very rare to hear about it these days so I would lean towards dirty.

I dont see how you will ever get the hinges unbolted due to space issues.
clutch1

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:09 am

I'm not totally sure but I'm pretty sure I can get to them if the front door is open, oh well, it was a whim idea anyways.
TRogers

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:42 am

Watch your window when you start prying with a screw driver. I was replacing a window motor once and while prying, the screw driver slipped and hit the bottom edge of the glass and BAM glass everywhere. I was cut up pretty good. icon_biggrin.gif
jol102001

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:03 am

yes, and watch your fingers

my door started acting funny like that too.... was hard to open, the shop ended up lubing and it's been great ever since.

the only way to get a door unlatched that is stuck is to use the jaws of life, which wouldn't be too pretty afterward.
kornholio788

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:34 am

did you try lifting the handel.??????? lol..jk...but ya try lubing it because with both handels not working then it is probably a latch taht both connect to
clutch1

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:22 pm

TRogers wrote:
Watch your window when you start prying with a screw driver. I was replacing a window motor once and while prying, the screw driver slipped and hit the bottom edge of the glass and BAM glass everywhere. I was cut up pretty good. icon_biggrin.gif

Nah, the window's all out of the way with it rolled up so it's just a matter of **** around with the hand (one's in a cast, makes it a SOB, ha.)

Well I'll try that lube in a little while!
lbjshaq2345

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:20 pm

Kevin_S wrote:

Got a kick out of this one xD
sporty_drew

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:21 am

This happened to my camaro this summer. I took off the panel to the drivers (broke) and the passengers to compare the latch assembly. After that i could tell where a little piece of plastic had broke and i ordered a new one. I unhooked all the arms that went from it to the handles and locks. To get it out i had to break it apart from the inside and drill out the 3 rivets that the bolts went into. Once that was done the door opened right up and i put the new one on.

I hope that you don't have to do that, but i thought that I'd post that up in case the lube doesn't work for you.
The time now is Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:54 am
Page 1 of 1