Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

DIY: Furniture Underglow

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:13 am

Disclaimer: Not responsible for anything that might go wrong here yada yada....

Materials needed:

Electrical Tape / Heat Shrink

Wire strippers/cutters/crimpers

110vAC to 12vDC power adapter

Your lighting of choice, I used (4) 9.5" Million Color Flex Strips

User posted image

A Switch (Optional, but recommended.)

1} Plug in the power adapter to a 110vAC outlet (typical wall outlet in your home).

2} Strip about 1" off all the wires coming from the LEDs, combine (Twist, solder, crimp connect, etc..) together all the silver (+) wires, then combine all the gold (-) wires separately.

3} Test the LEDs by holding the + wire from the adapter to the + wire from the LEDs, and the - wire from the adapter to the - wire from the LEDs.

4} Connect the + wire from the adapter to your switch at the power terminal (if not labeled on switch, check packaging).

5} Connect the + wire from the LEDs to the load/acc terminal on the switch.

6} Combine the - wires from the adapter and the LEDs. If your switch has an included LED, connect these wires to the ground terminal on the switch.

7} Tuck away all the wires behind, underneath the furniture.

8} Mount the LEDs under the furniture, or just lay them under there far back from the edges so they aren't visible.

9} Flip on and enjoy!

~FIN!!

User posted image
User posted image
Losing quickly

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:09 pm

Sweet, I did cathodes on couches in high school. biglaugh.gif biglaugh.gif
Moss

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:30 pm

Did you use a fuse?
Aken

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:28 pm

Leave the AC adapter unplugged when connecting wires to it.
lbjshaq2345

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:59 pm

figured I didnt need a fuse for a home install since the voltage doesnt flux much.
mx107marlin

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:00 pm

Moss wrote:
Did you use a fuse?

Don't quote me, but you shouldn't need a fuse for that application, don't the Adapters have shut-off's built in.....if not then hopefully you did.

I think that when too much current is drawn from an adapter they either flip off or go into heat protect, whichever happens first.

lbjshaq2345 wrote:
figured I didnt need a fuse for a home install since the voltage doesnt flux much.

you're right, the voltage doesn't fluctuate much, but that doesn't have anything to do with why you would or wouldn't need a fuse in your application. Fuses are there to keep the wire from carrying more current than it is designed. Current does not equal voltage.
PwrRngr

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:11 pm

mx107marlin wrote:
you're right, the voltage doesn't fluctuate much, but that doesn't have anything to do with why you would or wouldn't need a fuse in your application. Fuses are there to keep the wire from carrying more current than it is designed. Current does not equal voltage.

Correct, current does not equal voltage but current does depend on voltage (I = V/R). Fuses are used in case of a short which isn't very probable when you have very few connections for an application like this.
mx107marlin

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:18 pm

yeah I got that about Ohm's Law. But do you happen to know if you'd need a fuse or not in this situation? I know they are used in case of a short, but even with few connections, if something were to fail in an LED or something, would a fuse be needed?

If I touched the two wires together, what would happen? I'm thinking nothing, mainly because the amperage put out by most of those low trannys is low enough that the wires can handle it. Assuming though that they couldn't, would the wires burn or the transformer shut off or go into a protect mode.
PwrRngr

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:27 pm

Never seen the power converters but I would assume that would be the first thing to fry based on how they are made. An AC to DC converter is essentially a transformer, some diodes, and a capacitor. Draw more current than the converter is rated for and you'll fry the diodes.

If an LED fails it will act as an open circuit, not a short. I use fuses in cars because if the insulation on the positive wire rubs off and the wire touches the chassis, it shorts. Also, the wires pass through the firewall and places you can't directly follow. For this application you can follow the wires and it would be A LOT harder to short them.

Conclusion: If you wanted to be super safe, put a fuse in. They are very cheap and easy to install. I wouldn't put one in (I would make sure I heat shrink my connections) but if someone argued that you need one it would be hard for me argue against it.
Ace 96

Post Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:54 am

you would trip the circuit breaker or GFCI outlet if you shorted out somewhere, so really, you dont need to fuse it cause you are protected on the circuit breaker or GFCI outlet

i know because i screwed up a connection in my power supply (i was rerouting the internal wires on my ancient one from a windows 95 computer) and flipped the switch only to see glow for about 2 seconds and then see everything in the garage shut off

i threw out that supply 5 minutes later, and reset the outlet and was good to go!
The time now is Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:13 pm
Page 1 of 1