Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

locked keys.....in....car...*shame*

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:36 am

icon_redface.gif
I always made fun of people who did this...and I did it myself.

My spare key is back at concord...and I'm home this weekend.

I probably know this, but my only option is to go get my spare key?

I'm proud of myself, though...I didn't lose my temper...

*pulled handle
"**** idiot...."
*walked away

go me!
PwrRngr

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:44 am

you could try the metal clothes hanger to open the door. When I was at school I locked my keys in my truck, it took me about 30 seconds to get the door open w/ a clothes hanger.

If that doesn't work you can call a locksmith.
Kevin_S

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:46 am

what's the roundabout price of a locksmith?
$100?
clutch1

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:51 am

Right on the money, Kevin.

But they sure do know their stuff.
PwrRngr

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:04 am

One of my friends had a locksmith open his door for $30. That was in Bloomington, IN. It might vary from city to city, but $100 :shock:

*Edit* If all else fails, have your rents (assuming that's who has your spare set) overnight your keys to you.
Kevin_S

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:06 am

yeah...i just got off the phone with a guy -- no more than $40. He'll be here in about 30 minutes.

Ever feel like kickin yourself? lol
04yellowf150

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:21 am

kevin if u was down here then id use my AAA for you.

ive locked my keys in the truck before, but lucky for me i have my keypad on the side
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:37 am

Look on the bright side: at least you didn't slam the door on your finger
corvettecrazy

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:38 am

Phil wrote:
Look on the bright side: at least you didn't slam the door on your finger

with the door locked and the keys in it icon_lol.gif
PwrRngr

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:51 am

^^
HAHAHA, that would suck!
djtecthreat

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:53 am

I never lock my doors manually, i always use my key fob. Never locked my key's in. Not even once.
Kevin_S

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:01 am

so 30 minuntes (only took him like 2 minutes) and $42 later, I have my doors open and an extra key tucked away in my wallet.

Simple enough.
Knox

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:51 am

My dad locked the keys in my truck once and the locksmith can get shaved doors open fairly easily. I always thought I'd be SOL if I ever left the keys in the car with shaved handles
kramer13
Oznium Employee

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:00 pm

Yeah it shouldnt cost more then $45. When I called for a pop-a-lock guy, they would be between $25 and $40.

It's a $40 mistaken, but it something that can be shrugged off.
justin

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:58 pm

That price doesn't apply to more modern vehicles... Esp. imports.

My boss locked the keys in his g35x. In Chicago, 3.5 hours from home. On a weekend. Locksmith? Yeah right!

He figured the Infiniti dealer would be able to help him out - but apparently not. They said they could tow him, and get it open, but they would have to re-learn the security system sometime next week...He called Infiniti (they offer something similar to OnStar type service - remote unlock). But there was some caveat there as well.

Ended up getting a ride home, to get the keys, and going back for it icon_neutral.gif
Trans_Am_13

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:45 pm

There's always the "Brick Through The Window" approach biglaugh.gif
corvettecrazy

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:15 pm

or the pull back the top of the door and use a hangar or other long stick like device to unlock the car
02BlueStang

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:31 pm

I had an ex gf who pulled in front of my garage....got out of her car, shut the door with engine running....DOOR WAS LOCKED....

took me 2 hrs with the engine running to run a clothes hangar through the window to pick the door handle and pop the door.....

I should have just called 911 and had a cop sent out saying there was a baby in the car...they would have done if for free icon_neutral.gif
Blue_TC_Man

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:11 pm

it is an easy fix slide a wire hanger between the window and out side of door and hook the pin actuator, it will pop to unlock and open the door
mx107marlin

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:16 pm

All of the "Reach in and unlock it using some kind of wire" ideas work great, unless you have an automatic alarm system. Although I guess if you have the key right there inside you can always disable the alarm quickly enough.

I was driving home one night with my girlfriend and pulled into a truck stop at like 2 in the morning to get me a red bull. Well she stayed in the car, and out of habit, (and the fact that she was asleep) I locked the car, walked in and was ringing up my drink when my car alarm goes off. Myself and the 2 Highway patrolmen that were inside **** with the clerk ran outside to find my girlfriend, standing with her hand's up and the officers telling her not to move. Apparently they though she was breaking into my car. I corrected them and went to shut off the alarm.

Turned out she had woken up and saw we were at a truckstop, got out to go get herself a drink, and when she did unlocked the doors from the inside. The alarm assumed someone was trying to break into the car and sounded the alarm.
kramer13
Oznium Employee

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:13 pm

Done that tons of time Marlin!!

I'd be in my truck and stop somewhere. I would get out of the car, and she would say something like I'll stay in here. So I close the door and walk away, and I would hear my car alarm set, with her and the keys inside. I would run back to the truck saying DON'T OPEN YOUR DOOR.

I would do this about once a month.
Aken

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:51 am

I locked my keys in my car at a rest stop an hour and a half away from home. My girlfriend at the time and I were stuck there for 2 1/2 hours total until my parents showed up with my spares. Talk about a couple of the most boring hours ever. You can only learn so much about your state before you go insane.
kramer13
Oznium Employee

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:25 am

Aken wrote:
Talk about a couple of the most boring hours ever. You can only learn so much about your state before you go insane.

Especially at a rest stop. Damn. I mean, it's not like you could waste some quarters on some video games or something.
mx107marlin

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:33 am

You could entertain yourself with the Ice Cream vending machine.....It's kinda like a video game and gambling all in one.

Put in your money, watch it open the freezer, go to get your ice cream and put bets on weather it's the one you selected, or if it even makes it out of the freezer.

yeah, this only happened this once.....I lock my doors with my keymote by habit, so it wasn't anything different that time. She usually comes in with me or stays out by herself, when she'd be awake I wouldn't worry about it much, but asleep I figured it'd be safer.

Oh well, I'm glad it didn't happen more than once. The only time my factory alarm set was when you locked the doors and then it waited 30 seconds before arming. It's impossible for me to lock my keymote in the car though, it has a sensor that can tell if the key is inside the car or not. If it's inside, then the doors will immediately unlock.
04yellowf150

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:18 am

AAA > paying for stuff like that
goinpro

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:58 am

^^^so true...AAA is the best
mx107marlin

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:00 pm

04yellowf150 wrote:
AAA > paying for stuff like that

Quoted for truth again

I love my AAA help, they've towed my car twice this year.... icon_confused.gif don't know if that's good or bad.....but I haven't paid for any of them biglaugh.gif
sparky15_00

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:11 pm

Man I'd feel bad if I locked my girlfriend in the car with it armed. I have a mini Piezo tucked under the dash and I'm sure she wouldn't be happy...
mx107marlin

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:37 pm

Yeah, mine's just the horn and lights, so no harm no foul. I'm thinking about wiring one of these 101 Db sirens we sell at Radio Shack, for like 3 bucks into the system, but I dunno. It will definitely be under the hood if anything.
The time now is Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:56 am
Page 1 of 1