Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

cathode wiring diagram needed help..please

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:51 pm

well i got my ozniums cold cathode kit already, and was wondering if any of you have any diagrams i could go by to achieve what i want to to, here is what i basically how i want my set up to operate:

I want it to operate using a switch. I want them to come on when my door opens or when I unlock the car, tapped into the dome lights to activate when the doors open and unlock, and also with the switch added so I can take control once my doors close. I plan on also doing the cup holders with 5mm pre-wired leds. I would prefer to have them running off the same power source and switch.

Here is a list of all the items I have for the install:

(2) 12 cold cathodes.

(1) Dual output transformer.

(1) Scion OEM style rocker switch.

(2) 10 amp ATC fuses.

(1) ATC fuse holder (16 gauge).

20ft. of red hook up wire (18 gauge).

Add a circuit for mini type fuses
kornholio788

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:11 pm

Search here for basic install
https://www.oznium.com/forum/topic11824

And for the lights to work on a switch AND on your domelight you will need to wire in a diode. Nothin complicated. You can use a 1N4001 diode from Radio Shack. If you have any more questions let me know. Also try search first because alot of this has been covered
Thanks

Dan
powerofSHN

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:26 pm

I have LEDs in my car that go on/off with the dome light and also have a switch so that I can turn them on whenever I want (i.e. inside the car driving). Sound familiar? Lol.

Found in the fuse panel below the mirror controls, this is where the negative dome light wire is (blue):
User posted image

This is the diagram I made quickly showing what I did for mine:
User posted image

With the above setup (using an On-Off-On switch) you toggle between two different circuits. One "On" for the dome lights that will always go on with the dome lights and will dim off with them as well. The other "On" is the constant 12V to turn them on whenever you want. And the "Off" is self explanatory. A pointer though, the "On" you flick the switch towards will turn on the circuit on for the opposite prong. It makes no difference when doing the wiring, just when mounting the switch itself (i.e. if you want to flick it left for dome and right for constant 12v, etc).

Hopefully that makes sense. Let me know if you have more questions. Like I said, I have this in my car. Plus, I've installed it in customers cars and have helped others do the same setup.

....or you can do what korn said, lol. icon_biggrin.gif
kornholio788

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:31 pm

Ya his set up will work for you also. The advantage of my set up is that you dont have to have a three way switch and you dont have to flip a switch in order to turn on the lights from a switch or the dome light. With the diode they will automaticallly turn on with the dome light and then when you want them on with the switch simply turn them on. But either way works well. And if you do not know a diode is basically a "check valve" for electricity. Allows electricity to go one way but not the other.
mx107marlin

Post Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:37 pm

Take a look at my (hand-drawn) diagrams of how I did mine, they're the same thing you want. The each individual sides come on with the courtesy (puddle) light on their respective side. I have an override switch that turns both sides on when it's flipped, regardless of if the doors are open or not.

Take them for what they're worth.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/mx107/Diagrams/AllOnDiagram.gif
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/mx107/Diagrams/DriversSideOnDiagram.gif
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/mx107/Diagrams/PassengersSideOnDiagram.gif
The time now is Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:13 pm
Page 1 of 1