Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

HID vs HID projectors

Author
Message
irishboy02

Joined: Sep 03 2007
Posts: 6
Location: jerziee boy ;]


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:14 pm

gotta trailblazer lookin to get 8000k in my headlight...whats the main difference between an HID conversion and buyin projector headlights and then puttin the HIDs in there? i mean i understand cost obv but performance wise? lookin for any info itd be just dandy icon_biggrin.gif
Tim

Joined: Nov 16 2003
Posts: 10795
Location: Kalamazoo, MI


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:57 pm

If you have HIDs without HID projector housings, it'll cause glare and it'll make other drivers want to kill you.
Ryan88

Joined: Aug 09 2004
Posts: 3516
Location: Pittsburgh, PA


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:21 pm

I love getting blind by crystail blue HIDs icon_cool.gif No sarcasm.
Radioflyer

Joined: Sep 25 2007
Posts: 1563


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:02 am

Had the same decision to make on my 97 Vette. Here's some pics.

First setup: 5000K 9006 HIDs in stock housings (noob)
User posted image

Current setup: 6000K D2S HIDs in custom Hella 90mm Projectors (pimp)


By far the most notable improvement was the elimination of the hot spots that i had with the reflector housings. Go projector and you'll be happy.
Black DX

Joined: Oct 16 2007
Posts: 1007


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:44 pm

The one I like to show people is the one from HIDPlanet's forums University section:
HIDPlanet's University/haknslash wrote:

User posted image


The output from a retrofit gives you a better controlled and cast light, were as PNP kits are more than likely to give you less usable light and be sending alot of it all over the place.
Several other examples are as such:
HIDPlanet.com's University wrote:

"Notice the glare and VERY uncontrolled pattern with a bunch of hotspots? "
User posted image



just gives you a gives you an idea of what you the difference is...
DannyBoy

Joined: Dec 24 2007
Posts: 24
Location: Anchorage, Alaska


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:12 pm

I love my HID's projectors or not...I just got my H1 for my fogs for Christmas. There 10,000K or 12,000K every makers temperature vary a bit.

On a side note I'm not a fan of projectors...Well...Some times I like them...So I kinda like them!



This is the picture of the HID's temperatures from the guy I buy all mine from...My room mates he got 2 sets from you guys...
Black DX

Joined: Oct 16 2007
Posts: 1007


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:55 pm

Not too bad on that pic but I've got 6000k's and they're blue tinged, but with PNP the output is more of a general number than an actual one...
Tim

Joined: Nov 16 2003
Posts: 10795
Location: Kalamazoo, MI


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:37 am

I don't get how you aren't a fan of projectors. They increase light output and don't blind oncoming traffic. What's not to like about that.
DannyBoy

Joined: Dec 24 2007
Posts: 24
Location: Anchorage, Alaska


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:45 am

Tim wrote:
I don't get how you aren't a fan of projectors. They increase light output and don't blind oncoming traffic. What's not to like about that.


I said I don't like them...Then I said I do...It all depends on the truck or car...
Radioflyer

Joined: Sep 25 2007
Posts: 1563


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:07 am

DannyBoy wrote:
Tim wrote:
I don't get how you aren't a fan of projectors. They increase light output and don't blind oncoming traffic. What's not to like about that.


I said I don't like them...Then I said I do...It all depends on the truck or car...


I assume this opinion is based more on how the setup looks, rather then how it performs. For instance, the GM C/K full size trucks with large rectangular headlights just look strange with projectors.
Losing quickly

Joined: Apr 26 2005
Posts: 5706
Location: SC


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:17 am

Radioflyer wrote:
DannyBoy wrote:
Tim wrote:
I don't get how you aren't a fan of projectors. They increase light output and don't blind oncoming traffic. What's not to like about that.


I said I don't like them...Then I said I do...It all depends on the truck or car...


I assume this opinion is based more on how the setup looks, rather then how it performs. For instance, the GM C/K full size trucks with large rectangular headlights just look strange with projectors.


Yeah, I've had the unfortunate experience of facing a Suburban with HID's in the stock reflector housing. Its like driving while looking straight at the sun. It belonged to the people that own the local speed shop. I called them and ***** them out about it. "uhhh, you just have to aim them" Me: "then why do they come with projectors from the factory?" Them: "uhhh....who are you?!" *click*
Radioflyer

Joined: Sep 25 2007
Posts: 1563


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:26 am

Losing quickly wrote:
Radioflyer wrote:
DannyBoy wrote:
Tim wrote:
I don't get how you aren't a fan of projectors. They increase light output and don't blind oncoming traffic. What's not to like about that.


I said I don't like them...Then I said I do...It all depends on the truck or car...


I assume this opinion is based more on how the setup looks, rather then how it performs. For instance, the GM C/K full size trucks with large rectangular headlights just look strange with projectors.


Yeah, I've had the unfortunate experience of facing a Suburban with HID's in the stock reflector housing. Its like driving while looking straight at the sun. It belonged to the people that own the local speed shop. I called them and ***** them out about it. "uhhh, you just have to aim them" Me: "then why do they come with projectors from the factory?" Them: "uhhh....who are you?!" *click*


this is true. Most of the pre-99 GM vehicles (especially trucks) have exposed bulbs in the housings. For HIDs this is a primary cause of glare. Some headlights now have a bulb shroud which makes HIDs slightly less of a road hazard when used in the stock reflector housing.
Losing quickly

Joined: Apr 26 2005
Posts: 5706
Location: SC


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:31 am

Still sucks when you drive a honda accord. Their son has an Element with HID's in the stock housing.... icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif I flashed my brights at him, he flashed his back (which weren't as bright as the HID's) and yelled something out the window at me. Made me chuckle at his ignorance.
blktbon20s

Joined: Jan 29 2007
Posts: 2316


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:39 am

first of all they don't make projector headlights for trailblazer..you would have to retro fit them ...i hope you know that

that beening said..i had 8000k and loved them..dam i miss my truck more and more each day
User posted image
Radioflyer

Joined: Sep 25 2007
Posts: 1563


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:53 am

blktbon20s: that's a wicked pic. Looks like a Silve SS (my favriote truck)
Tim

Joined: Nov 16 2003
Posts: 10795
Location: Kalamazoo, MI


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:24 am

So retrofit *****
blktbon20s

Joined: Jan 29 2007
Posts: 2316


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:04 pm

Radioflyer wrote:
blktbon20s: that's a wicked pic. Looks like a Silve SS (my favriote truck)

Thanks bro..yea it kinda does! lol i miss that truck soo much..hopefully i'll be able to get another one later on
irishboy02

Joined: Sep 03 2007
Posts: 6
Location: jerziee boy ;]


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:18 pm

i have seen projectors for the trailblazer, mine is a 05, but for that ill be pullin 225-275 and then some more quid for the setup. prob not the ideal situation but thanks alot for your input i should be gettin them within the next week or so...ill try and post some pics
blktbon20s

Joined: Jan 29 2007
Posts: 2316


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:47 pm

they are not really projectors...they are just for looks.
Not to sound c0cky but i know these trucks in and out and most mods they have for them.
corvettecrazy

Joined: Dec 17 2003
Posts: 4357
Location: moved (twice)


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:00 am

blktbon20s wrote:
first of all they don't make projector headlights for trailblazer..you would have to retro fit them ...i hope you know that


Considering how much other work you have done I dont see why that is a big issue. I've helped people who lack mechanical skill and can barely speak proper english retrofit projectors into headlights. Should be less than a weekends work for someone who knows the difference between drywall screws and machine screws.
irishboy02

Joined: Sep 03 2007
Posts: 6
Location: jerziee boy ;]


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:48 am

blktbon20s...didnt mean to jump the gun there...thats why im here, to learn and i respect your knowledge homie icon_biggrin.gif
blktbon20s

Joined: Jan 29 2007
Posts: 2316


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:24 pm

oh no! corvettecrazy and irishboy02....sorry if i sounded "rude" in away..didn't mean to at all

corvettecrazy- thanks bro..and yes its not hard at all..was just letting him know the "projector" headlights the sell for the trailblazers are fake..its basically there for looks.
irishbiy02--nah its bro..i might have expressed myself wrong..but if u need any help w/ ur truck let me know. Not sure what part of jersey u live but i'll be glad to give a fellow trailblazer owner a hand..BTW my best friend has one also, its dropped on 20s and w/ a SS conversion
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:56 am
Page 1 of 1