Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Airbag delete

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:24 pm

Recently changed steering wheel from stock to 11" Momo. I researched for the size of resistor for airbag light. I narrowed it down to a 2 OHM @ 1/4 watts. So good? It's a 2001 Ford Focus.

User posted image[/img]
mx107marlin

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:57 pm

Sorry, but you're gonna have to find a focus forum or something... or get at least some specs... I doubt that anyone here knows much enough about the focus airbag system to help you...

But welcome to Oz ozzy_change.gif

Enjoy your stay
MadDog9486

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:14 pm

isn't that illegal in most states?
justin

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:30 pm

That's a really bad idea, for a lot of reasons.
bad venge

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:30 pm

It's a federal law that is prosecuteable and UP to a $10,000 fine ....Dunno what agency enforces it though
kornholio788

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:06 pm

Really^^^ Thats funny because I just put a sparco wheel in my car lolz. I think my car is the 2 ohm at 1/4 watt as well. Not sure. I would go to a site for you car. Did you get a quick release with that? I have one and it is fun as hell lolz. And no one can steal my car lolz.
ImagoX

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:09 pm

justin wrote:
That's a really bad idea, for a lot of reasons.

+1. If you get in an accident, you'll be hurtin' for certain. Be sure to be paid up on your health insurance so you don't stick the state welfare agency and the taxpayers with your convalescence and/or funeral, OK?
clutch1

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:26 pm

Federal law? Weird.

I wouldn't feel safe without an airbag, IMO, but then again I don't like the idea of driving in convertibles, either.

How'd the whole federal law thing work 20 years ago when it seems like almost no vehicles had airbags?
justin

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:32 pm

It makes sense. If federal law mandates safety equipment, doesn't that mean if its removed, that its no longer street legal?

Federal law didn't mandate airbags or even seatbelts in the past.... Thusly, nobody had 'em.
clutch1

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:30 pm

Yea, I hear ya. Just seems like it'd be hard to enforce aside from catching random people speeding them slapping them in the face with a huge fine when the officer sees the wheel.
TerryB

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:54 pm

Well, I know for a fact that you can disable airbags in some vehicles. It's an option that you can turn on and off. As far as any fines, a mechanic or dealer cannot disable the airbags. The question is, what is the resistor needed?
justin

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:58 pm

clutch1 wrote:
Yea, I hear ya. Just seems like it'd be hard to enforce aside from catching random people speeding them slapping them in the face with a huge fine when the officer sees the wheel.

There are a lot of municipalities/states that require inspections. Wisconsin really isn't one of those, other than Milwaukee - and I think they are emissions only.

Side-passenger airbags are selectable in order to keep the youngins safe.

As far as the root question, as mentioned before, you will need to talk to someone Ford-specific. We don't really modify safety systems here :\
PwrRngr

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:49 pm

justin wrote:
Federal law didn't mandate airbags or even seatbelts in the past.... Thusly, nobody had 'em.

Federal Law doesn't mandate that you USE the seat belts. They say the vehicles have to have them but they don't require people to use them (Use of seat belts would be a state level, not federal). Not sure why it would be different for airbags.
mx107marlin

Post Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:57 pm

TerryB wrote:
Well, I know for a fact that you can disable airbags in some vehicles. It's an option that you can turn on and off. As far as any fines, a mechanic or dealer cannot disable the airbags. The question is, what is the resistor needed?

This is true... that the question still presents itself... but

I have never seen a vehicle that you can turn the driver's airbag off... Only vehicles that can turn (most the time automatically based on weight in newer cars) the PASSENGER airbag off (thus killing less small children) Older cars had a switch that turned the passenger airbag off, but it was operated by the ignition key. I don't know of any car that can turn the drivers side bag off....
Black DX

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:19 am

2 or 2.2 ohm will work fine.
Cooper

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:16 am

Its fairly common to swap out the stock wheel for an aftermarket piece with no airbag, I've done it in my car and its common on the forums I frequent . I realize there's a safety concern but are you guys really that surprised ?
bugs825

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:58 am

i'm not surprised at all. It just the thought that,God forbid, he gets in an accident and his insurance company finds out that he removed the airbag. He could be left out in the cold with a bunch of people hunting him down for money that the insurance company refuses to pay. Just gotta cover your rump.

Nathan

Oh yeah and you could die.
Knox

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:49 pm

Everyone driving pre-90s cars without airbags could die and everyone with new cars that have airbags can still die. It's just an extra precaution, not mandatory.
TRogers

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:11 pm

I like how everyone on Oznium ALWAYS has something else to say and ALWAYS tries to be someones guardian.

Let the guy do what he wants and answer is damn resistor question if you have the answer...otherwise, don't say anything.

icon_rolleyes.gif
Moss

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:56 pm

TRogers wrote:
I like how everyone on Oznium ALWAYS has something else to say and ALWAYS tries to be someones guardian.

Let the guy do what he wants and answer is damn resistor question if you have the answer...otherwise, don't say anything.

icon_rolleyes.gif

I was going to post that, but thank you for saving me the time. They act like he is incapable of realizing that removing his airbag means it's one less safety feature his car will have. If he is able to do the whole swap, I am sure his aware of the consequences. But like always we have people who love to lecture.
itzbjorn

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:43 pm

I could die riding my motorcycle. Sure, I wear a helmet and leather jacket, but if I got railed by a semi-truck head on - think that's gonna help?

Hell, I could die by walking out my front door. A squirrel could jump on a brach, and snaps it in half, and sends it hurling into my eyeball striking by brain.

So what. Life is dangerous.

As far as airbags - it's federal law to make manufacturers comply, and not allow dealerships and mechanics to mess with them - but if it's a car I own, I can do whatever I want to the airbags.
TerryB

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:08 pm

Thanx for the back-up guys. I'm well aware of the no bag issues. I've posted in other forums for different reasons and have gotten positive comments throughout. I've been driving for almost 30 years and have seen alot. My first car was a '66 Plymouth Belvedere with no p/s, no p/b, no seatbelt with a bench front seat. Things have come a long way since then, no doubt. So, it's my car, my liability, my problem. We all do stuff that's not the safest. How speeders, pass on the right, no directional use, road rage? It's my **** no yours.
Cooper

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:46 pm

itzbjorn wrote:

Hell, I could die by walking out my front door. A squirrel could jump on a brach, and snaps it in half, and sends it hurling into my eyeball striking by brain.

This is exactly why I don't leave the house . Glad I'm not the only one with a squirrel-branch-brain-piercing phobia .
Golfer

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:17 pm

Someone kind of already mentioned the insurance thing. But I would just like to add that insurance will DEFINITELY NOT cover ANY personal injury as a result of a car accident.

Even having a airbag you can still get hurt, wearing a seatbelt should restrain you enough anyway.... I would just make sure you have the LOWEST possible bodily injury insurance on yourself for your policy, because there is no way it will ever pay out.

Looks good!
PwrRngr

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:32 pm

Most everyone changes their vehicles so something doesn't comply to code. I do believe that HIDs are illegal unless they come stock from the factory. I don't hear anyone ***** about how they're illegal when someone puts them on their vehicle. It's his car to change what he wants. He didn't come asking for insurance advice. He didn't come asking for a lecture on how it's illegal. He just wanted to know what the resistor size should be. It was answered and the thread is done. I think it should be locked now.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:52 pm

TerryB wrote:

You can turn off the Passenger air-bags in my s-10 =) with the turn of a key icon_smile.gif
djtecthreat

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:54 pm

My 1993 GMC Suburban SLE had no Driver nor Passenger side airbag. Hell, they didn't start putting anti-lock brakes in them until like '90. Airbags are a "Feature" to help save your life. My truck didn't have one, did I die? No.
The time now is Sun May 27, 2018 10:17 am
Page 1 of 1