Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

RGB leds in Trailblazer

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:35 pm

I just installed 14 rgb leds in my dome lights and air vents. They are controlled by a standalone rgb led controller kit that I purchased from Clive in the UK. The leds are 10mm, and I soldered all resistors and applied heat shrink (took a long time). This controller has many functions and adjustable speeds. I've taken 3 videos to give you guys an idea of how it works. Let me know what you guys think.
Shaun
youtube.com/watch?v=7e3yHYLWR94
youtube.com/watch?v=qqTHV7fA850
youtube.com/watch?v=y9AjFSUIfRM
Chris

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:01 pm

pretty damn cool.
shaund903

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:01 pm

Moss

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:17 pm

This is up there with all the Meteor mods people did and Chris's Blaze cup holder.

Amazing project. Dual thumbs up!

Excellent, took some real effort and thought. Somebody made something that is freaking awesome that probably cost less then an ICELED Gems.

What does the controller look like? Any information on it?

Really sweet, I will say it again. Thanks for sharing. This reminds me of OZ of old when cool project were a daily thing.
Acey

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:46 pm

Looks really good and it probably took ya a long time. Well done. icon_cool.gif
ShadowBOX

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:02 pm

Sweet. More info please . . .
dirtybelly

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:07 pm

Thats some good work it looks great.
jdusty914

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:11 pm

I really like the lights in your TB....
shaund903

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:12 pm

Thanks for the comments. Here's a link to the site where I purchased the controller kit.
http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/rgbcont.htm
Chris

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:45 pm

Sweet, thanks for sharing the link. Maybe I can do something to for the RX7.

I like new projects that are unique. GREAT idea!
Black DX

Post Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:14 am

Just looked at the kit and it's using common positive design so for lazy people like me who were already building plans around a common positive controller this will work wonderfully, and from what the exchange page I checked it looks to be around $34 usd shipped which is damned good in my opinion...

I do ask for a few more pics showing the different modes of the controller...
markwerline

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:35 pm

my boy is gonna flip when I show him this... we just got done putting leds in all his dome lights in his TB but this is sick. great job. very original.
Kevin_S

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:11 pm

How many amps can the controller handle?
Can you choose the mode (solid color, flash, fade, etc) or is it just on/off?
robbie

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:49 pm

Wow. Really incredible setup you have there.
shaund903

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:39 pm

I would guess that the transistors could handle up to 5 amps per channel, which should be enough to drive about 250 RGB leds. If necessary, you could swap out the transistors or mount them remotely with heatsinks if you need to drive higher loads. I'm using two momentary switches to switch through the modes. One button actually changes the modes. The other changes speed, cycles through colors, or stops the cycle on a specific color, all depends on which mode it's in. I'm doing a few other projects so my truck is in progress right now. When I get everything finished, I'll post more pictures of the setup. I may have another controller laying around. I've ordered a replacement chip, but it may be up for sale depending on if everything works.
Black DX

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:46 pm

Quote:
This module can drive up to 5A per colour at up to 30V to drive surprisingly large arrays of LEDs.
A chip dedicated to the task of generating cool colour changing effects with RGB LED lighting.
There are 23 programs with up to sixteen speed or colour options on each. These range from psychedelic colour strobing through to very smooth and dignified architectural colour changing with a massive pallete of over 16 million colours and a randomiser that produces a continuous stream of over 8 million data bits for truly random results.
Don't confuse this chip with the tacky colour changers that just go through a very short repetitive colour routine. This chip has a virtually endless array of subtle colour moves in a range of colour palletes.
Just to add the icing to the cake, the last program settings are stored to non volatile memory (about 15 seconds after the last button press) so that the unit always powers up in your favourite mode.
This module can drive up to 1000 LEDs per channel without heatsinks. This assumes a 24V supply, efficiently wired series strings of LEDs and a MOSFET current of 5A. With the MOSFETs mounted off board on a heatsink with suitably rated and protected wiring, the controller could drive much larger LED arrays.

I've already got one ordered and shipped out... I'm looking forward to seeing it work.
Knox

Post Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:30 pm

That looks awesome icon_cool.gif
Black DX

Post Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:06 pm

I just got my board yesterday, assembled today and holy mother of led controllers....
And just to show people what the modes are:
Quote:
There are four colour palletes used:-

Primary. A fixed selection of saturated primary colours.
Vibrant. A stunning range of saturated colours.
Bright. A range of bright saturated and pastel shades.
Full Spectrum. Every colour that can be achieved from black to white.

The programs available:-

1. Morph and hold with vibrant colours. (Hold delay adjustable.)
2. Morph and hold with bright colours. (Hold delay adjustable.)
3. Morph and hold with full spectrum colours. (Hold delay adjustable.)
4. Red marker to help you find your way through the programs.
5. Sweep continually between vibrant colours.
6. Sweep continually between bright colours.
7. Sweep continually between full spectrum colours.
8. Green marker.
9. Indie dim with each colour "rambling" independently.
10. Indie dim pastels (all colours 25% min).
11. Blue marker.
12. Rainbow. Can be stopped and started on any colour using option button.
13. Rainbow continuous. (Speed adjustable)
14. Black marker.

FX routines below can only be accessed when unit is in FX mode.

15. Colour plasma lightning. (Speed adjustable.)
16. White plasma lightning. (Speed adjustable.)
17. Colour strobe. (Speed adjustable.)
18. Magenta marker.
19. Colour burst with vibrant colours. (Speed adjustable.)
20. Colour burst with bright colours. (Speed adjustable.)
21. Colour burst with full spectrum colours. (Speed adjustable.)
22. Cyan marker.
23. Windswept flame effect. (3 independent.) (Speed adjustable.)
24. Subtle flame effect. (3 independent.) (Speed adjustable.)
25. Yellow marker.
26. Static fixed primary colour. (Selectable.)
27. Random fixed full colour. (Reselectable.)
28. Random fixed vibrant colour. (Reselectable.)
29. Ramping fixed primary colour. (Selectable.)
30. Ramping random colour.
31. White marker.

If both program and option buttons are pressed together briefly the unit will revert to program 1.

After any buttons have been pressed the changes will be stored to non volatile memory after a short delay of up to 15 seconds. this will be indicated by a brief blink of the lights and means that the unit will power up in that mode until further changes are made.

Shipped from the UK to my house was $33.XX USD (depending on the current market), took a week to arrive and I assembled the unit in 10mins or so (everything is layed out, so it's hard to screw up). Definately worth the money, I'm extremely glad I got one! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif I wish I had a camera that took videos so I could upload some of the mode pics..... The flashing strobe action is mesmerizing puppy_dog_eyes.gif biglaugh.gif
BLAZER_97

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:33 pm

if i buy one, could some one put it together for meh? not good with soldering
Kevin_S

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:36 pm

$10 and your pay shipping both ways.
Black DX

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:52 pm

Yea... I'd sooner learn to solder than pay somebody, it's really not that hard.
SickWitIt

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:40 am

How do you switch modes?
Black DX

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:01 pm

Pressing the program button changes modes, the option button works the speed/color function.
Kevin_S

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:54 pm

Black DX wrote:
Yea... I'd sooner learn to solder than pay somebody, it's really not that hard.

Just offering lol
SickWitIt

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:18 am

Someone post more videos. Post videos of all modes
Drifting10

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:34 am

blue one

Post Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:38 am

looks good
Black DX

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:29 pm

Per request I'm slowly posting vids from my phone up on da youtube showing off the RGB controller. My cellphone doesn't like the fast color changes and so it gets really chunky with the strobing color effect.

This is mode 17 to 19 (I think), I'm using the RGB Flat head led strips so the colors have to reflect off something to blend together as well as my phone doesn't light the brightness of the leds directly.... I'll get more posted, I'll try to get better video as possible.
robbie

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:05 pm

Killer man. Where did you pick this up and how much? Also how hard is it to use and such?
Black DX

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:26 pm

robbie wrote:
Killer man. Where did you pick this up and how much? Also how hard is it to use and such?

shaund903 wrote:
Thanks for the comments. Here's a link to the site where I purchased the controller kit.
http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/rgbcont.htm

Black DX wrote:
I just got my board yesterday, assembled today and holy mother of led controllers....

Shipped from the UK to my house was $33.XX USD (depending on the current market), took a week to arrive and I assembled the unit in 10mins or so (everything is layed out, so it's hard to screw up). Definately worth the money, I'm extremely glad I got one! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif I wish I had a camera that took videos so I could upload some of the mode pics..... The flashing strobe action is mesmerizing puppy_dog_eyes.gif biglaugh.gif

it's a simple two button controller (one for what mode and one for adjustment/color/speed) and it's a ground controlling unit so any common positive RGB led strip will work with it.
robbie

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:29 pm

Awesome thanks a bunch not a bad price either. Will be looking into buying one very soon. If i have any question be ok to shoot you a pm?
Black DX

Post Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:37 pm

robbie wrote:
Awesome thanks a bunch not a bad price either. Will be looking into buying one very soon. If i have any question be ok to shoot you a pm?

It's what I'm here for.

I have to say I'm extremely happy with this product, it went together with a hitch (and frankly the guy's site has a step by step to show you how to put it together...), the wire terminals are nice n solid and for the price it can't be beat.... I have to thank shaund903 for finding this wonderful controller, it's what is going to be the controller of my mulit color gauge cluster lights that I've been looking for...
robbie

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:24 am

Wow i am really excited to get some money and order this thing now lol. You said it will work with pretty much any RGB strip correct?
Chris

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:36 am

Quote:
it's a simple two button controller (one for what mode and one for adjustment/color/speed) and it's a ground controlling unit so any common positive RGB led strip will work with it.

C'mon man. READ.

All the questions you asked have been answered.
robbie

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:03 am

Yeah i did read chris. If i asked you you can answer. I was clarifying for myself before i did this. Thanks for your input though.
Chris

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:07 am

You didn't ask any certain someone. He DID say it will work for any common positive RGB strip.

HE answered your question and I just REINSTATED it.

Dont be like a little whiny school girl: "If I asked you, YOU can answer".

Its a COMMUNITY FORUM where all people contribute. Sorry I was helping you out for your little project.
robbie

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:14 am

Ok just the way the text looked it read like you were trying to be rude sorry man my bad, i forget that text over the net is hard to interpret the right way.

As far as the strip i knew he said that, my question is is the regular led strip (million) rgb? should hav just asked that.

Not being a whiny school girl. I know it;s a community forum. And like i said sorry just woke up should have waited to answer. I appreciate the help though. And hopefully if i have questions about other things i will be able to get your help.
Kevin_S

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:04 am

I want one but I'm afraid of hooking it up to $500 work of led strips lol...I need to buy one and play anyway...thanks, blackdx, for the video. much appreciated.
Chris

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:14 am

robbie - to answer your new question.

If by "regular flex RGB strip" you mean the "FLEXIBLE LED STRIPS" starting at 3.99, they have a common NEGATIVE. For this module you need a common POSITIVE.

Im wondering if maybe you can set up the wiring a little different to allow for common negative though. It might be a lot harder or easier than I think.
robbie

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:17 am

Yes sorry thats what i was asking. I didn't know how the flexible led strip million was setup. Thanks though i am going to snag one of these and getting some kind strip to use it with.
Black DX

Post Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:50 pm

Kevin_S wrote:
I want one but I'm afraid of hooking it up to $500 work of led strips lol...I need to buy one and play anyway...thanks, blackdx, for the video. much appreciated.

Honestly I'm less worried about this controller than any I've built or used. The simple fact that the seller shows you how to put it together, shows you all the parts he uses and even shows you the chip used means he's pretty secure in his product. The only thing I'd say is with that high of a price total I'd assume you've got a large quantity of led's and I'd suggest getting heat sinks to fit the controllers due to the potential load of large quantities of leds...

I've taken 8 more quick (crappy) video's, I'm slowly uploading them and I'll post them as I go.... It's hard to show the full effect of each mode in most cases since the delay time between color changes is generally drawn out and that my phone isn't ment for camera action...

Edit:

^mode 3. Morph and hold with full spectrum colours. (Hold delay adjustable.)

^mode 2. Morph and hold with bright colours. (Hold delay adjustable.)

^mode 1. Morph and hold with vibrant colours. (Hold delay adjustable.)
shaund903

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:09 pm

Black DX noted, clear lens leds don't mix very well so they need to be shown through a diffuser lens or shown on another item to mix the colors. Originally, I soldered up 30 5mm rgb leds that had clear lenses, but then scrapped those for 10mm diffused lens leds from ebay. The diffused lenses are not as bright obviously but they mix very well which is what I needed to work in my air vents where the light could not be reflected.

Also someone had inquired in an earlier post as to how difficult it would be to switch this to common cathode (negative). Given the layout of the board, it would be impossible to convert it to operate with common negative leds. A new board would have to be designed since the paths for positive and negative cannot change or the microcontroller will not receive expected inputs/outputs on the correct leads. Just buy common anode leds and this problem is solved.

User posted image
User posted image

Last edited by shaund903 on Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total
Kevin_S

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:24 pm

using my phone line idea...kudos to you!
shaund903

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:31 pm

The 5mm ones use cheap telephone wire which was difficult to work with. The 10mm's have 4 conductor wire from partsexpress.com. Much better and cheap too, ~$11 for 100 ft.
robbie

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:33 pm

Would i need that kind of wire to run them to this controller deal? Kinda looking at doing this kind of setup with some leds.
shaund903

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:39 pm

Since you can't wire these in series, you'll need to make something like what you see above. In other words there will be 3 resistors wired to each led. I used a slightly higher resistor for the red color for protection, but blue green have the same value. If I remember correctly, it's blue and green at 470 ohms and red at 510 or 550 ohms. But you can play around with resistor values to ensure that the colors blend correctly.
robbie

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:44 pm

Ok thanks man appreciate it. May be contacting you through pm if i have any questions in the future.
shaund903

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:55 pm

Here's where I installed the switches, which will be replaced with some of Phil's switches one day. The top one switches the mode and bottom is the option button.
User posted image
robbie

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:00 pm

When doing something like this you got any advice about how to do it and where to put the controller ?
shaund903

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:04 pm

Just put it somewhere out of the way. Mine is behind the light switch, but it could go anywhere. I covered it with electrical tape to ensure that it couldn't come into contact with anything. And I zip tied it to a large bundle of wires behind the dash. It's not going anywhere. Oh, and you'll probably also need a power switch. Mine works by a remote channel from my alarm. If you don't have this, you'll need an additional switch.
robbie

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:30 pm

Ok thanks again man, will do.
Tim

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:22 pm

I wish there was a way to move up or down for the programs available. It would suck if you wanted program 17 and accidentally pushed it 18 times. I know you could go back to 1 easily, but still. Looks kinda cool. I might pick one up along with a RGB 3 LED Round Module.
The time now is Wed May 23, 2018 10:50 pm
Page 1 of 1