Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

LED's off 9v -- how many / how long?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:00 pm

hi.

just wondering how many of mr. phils led's will run off one 9v battery... and if anyone knows, for how long?

im lazy.

justin.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:10 pm

3 to 4 LEDs

Maybe they'd run constantly for a month or two?
justin

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:14 pm

eeeexcellent.

project time!

justin.
justin

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:52 pm

*end of memory lapse*

are you sure phil?

i took this pic of my modded headlamp/taillamp housings (8 led's) off a 9v...

justin.
pontiac4evr_14

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:31 pm

I was just about to make a thead like this Our schools electrathon car is going to have a taillight modded to 8 or 12 of phils leds do the resistor handle a 24 volt load. if not we were going to set it to a 9 volt if the regulations would let us. Also are the red leds much brighter than the white 6000mcd to 8000mcd?
Tim

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:19 pm

I want to put some LEDs in my headlights some day...
Mav

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:52 pm

The red LEDs are probably closer to 4000 or 5000mcd. As for how many you can run off a 9v.. as many as you want. You could run 200 off of it if you wired them properly. As for how long they will stay lit for, it depends on the battery, as well as how they are wired. Resisters drain batteries as well as LEDs. Each LED put approximately 20ma of drain per hour on a battery. The resisters draw around 10ma of power per hour as well. So depending on what the amperage capacity of your battery is and how many LEDs/Resistors you use, you can mathematically calculate how long the LEDs should remain lit.

Also keep in mind that depending on the type of battery you use, you will get different results. LEDs powered by an Alkaline battery for example will slowly dim as the battery slowly loses power, as alkaline batteries go down on a curve with voltage as they lose charge. If you power them on a NiMh or NiCd you will find they will perform much different. NiMh, the LEDs will stay lit at their full intensity until the battery is dead, and then the LEDs will fade out quickly. NiCd, the LEDs will stay lit at their full intensity until the battery is almost dead, then the LEDs will start to dim slowly, and drop off. As for Lithium, unless you know what you are doing with batteries, I wouldn't recommend an amature play with Lithiums. They can be very dangerous if not used properly, and could errupt into flame, or even explode.
justin

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:37 pm

welp just a preliminary shot of my project icon_smile.gif

all your glow are belong to my SHOES!

justin.
GoldenRod

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:43 pm

I was thinking of running 3 LEDs (RGB) on the bottom of my model PT Cruiser, running off 1 (or more) 9v batteries, with pots for each LED, so I can have a sudo ICELED. It will only be one color at a time, but I should be able to adjust the LEDs to make any color, to almost match the full-size PT. I'll use that at shows as another display piece.... icon_cool.gif
Sublime0069

Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:15 pm

I actually used some of Phil's LED's that I had lying around and put an underbody kit on my Mustang Cobra R/C car. Looks real good flyin down the street. Powered it right off the battery supply and just mounted them to the suspension system. I'll put pics up later.
corvettecrazy

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:14 am

you guys stole all my ideas icon_cry.gif

anyways I recenty wired up 6 LED's(2 tail lights, 2 head lights, and 4 Blue for glow on the inside) into an RC body for my best friend, although while lighting it I was using a 12v source.

the LED's will be put into light buckets on the inside once I finish painting it.

Then last night I finished wiring 9 LEDs (5 red and 4 Green) into a 1997 1:18 scale red Corvette. One red LED in each wheel well and one comming out under the engine towards the front. And 2 green under the dash and 2 behind the seats.

These pictures make the Red look dull but it is now where near dull...i've almost run into my walls a few times after the reflection of the mirror hit me in the eyes.
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:49 am

Mav wrote:
The red LEDs are probably closer to 4000 or 5000mcd. As for how many you can run off a 9v.. as many as you want. You could run 200 off of it if you wired them properly. As for how long they will stay lit for, it depends on the battery, as well as how they are wired. Resisters drain batteries as well as LEDs. Each LED put approximately 20ma of drain per hour on a battery. The resisters draw around 10ma of power per hour as well. So depending on what the amperage capacity of your battery is and how many LEDs/Resistors you use, you can mathematically calculate how long the LEDs should remain lit.

Also keep in mind that depending on the type of battery you use, you will get different results. LEDs powered by an Alkaline battery for example will slowly dim as the battery slowly loses power, as alkaline batteries go down on a curve with voltage as they lose charge. If you power them on a NiMh or NiCd you will find they will perform much different. NiMh, the LEDs will stay lit at their full intensity until the battery is dead, and then the LEDs will fade out quickly. NiCd, the LEDs will stay lit at their full intensity until the battery is almost dead, then the LEDs will start to dim slowly, and drop off. As for Lithium, unless you know what you are doing with batteries, I wouldn't recommend an amature play with Lithiums. They can be very dangerous if not used properly, and could errupt into flame, or even explode.

damn dude... you talk too much sleeping.gif
GoldenRod

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:26 am

corvettecrazy wrote:
you guys stole all my ideas icon_cry.gif

anyways I recenty wired up 6 LED's(2 tail lights, 2 head lights, and 4 Blue for glow on the inside) into an RC body for my best friend, although while lighting it I was using a 12v source.

the LED's will be put into light buckets on the inside once I finish painting it.

Then last night I finished wiring 9 LEDs (5 red and 4 Green) into a 1997 1:18 scale red Corvette. One red LED in each wheel well and one comming out under the engine towards the front. And 2 green under the dash and 2 behind the seats.

These pictures make the Red look dull but it is now where near dull...i've almost run into my walls a few times after the reflection of the mirror hit me in the eyes.

Actually, I think I may steal some more of your ideas.... icon_biggrin.gif Why stop at UB LEDs.... I wonder how many I could fit in my model.... there's only one way to find out! icon_biggrin.gif
corvettecrazy

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:19 pm

To tell you the truth, while I was making it I kept thiking of more places I could put the LED's and ways to wire them. I like the way it is but if I ever decide to go all out on a model it will definately have more than 30 LED's on it. of course 24ga wire makes everything extra easy. solder the connections to make them small and the flexible wire fits through anything.

I would like to see what kind of creativity you end up with.

Edit: spelling
Mav

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:03 pm

get some smaller LEDs then what Phil sells, and put them in the cup holders =P
corvettecrazy

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:12 pm

Mav wrote:
get some smaller LEDs then what Phil sells, and put them in the cup holders =P

I was just going to put phil's in my moms car cup holder.
Mav

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:22 pm

haha I misread that at first and thought you said you were gonna put Phil's mom in your car =P lol
pontiac4evr_14

Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:58 pm

i just wired up 12 white leds for a brake light a nine volt will run decent but a 12 volt is so much better.
The time now is Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:49 pm
Page 1 of 1