Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

underglow with parklight flash

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed May 14, 2008 3:40 pm

so im thinking about getting the blaze kit (the one for $170 at oznium) but adding a little twist to it. is there a moderately easy way of wiring it so that it cold flash with when you lock/unlock? what im thinking is, your park lights are on when the car is running and when you go to lock or unlock your car. i could wire in a switch with power supplied from the park lights (im sure an LED kit wouldnt take much power) to turn the kit off if i needed to.

kinda follow where im going with this? i know its confusing.... lol thanks in advance
Kierra

Post Wed May 14, 2008 5:47 pm

i know that one of the guys on here did it with his civic and it looked badass.. ill find the thread and link it

edit: Huzzah! https://www.oznium.com/forum/topic16360
video at the bottom of original post
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed May 14, 2008 5:52 pm

^^^he didnt have a computer for his though.

Im pretty sure the Blaze come with a ECU no?

And he was using Single color Beefy strips. so just 12v was needed.
Kierra

Post Wed May 14, 2008 5:54 pm

oh true.. forgot about that
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed May 14, 2008 5:56 pm

I think your SOL on the Blaze flashy thingy. Because youd have to tear apart the ECU to put power to one of the colors id imagine. Cause you need the remote to tell the display to tell the ecu to turn on
cardude007617

Post Wed May 14, 2008 7:36 pm

i was under the impression it just comes on to the factory set color, whatever that is... or am i wrong?

and ya, thats pretty much what im trying to do, thanks for the link lol.

couldnt i just tie in with the park lights on the headlights?
Kierra

Post Wed May 14, 2008 7:47 pm

well what tdawg was saying is that the Blaze kit is run and operated by an ECU.. a computer.. The remote that comes with the kit is what turns it on.. and we dont think you can just 'wire it in' and have it work.

The way cyber knight did it, was the way i think you're thinking of, by just wiring it rught to the park lights so that they comes on when the lights come on(and also when unlock/lock is hit).. and it worked for him, because the beefy UB kit is just LEDs.. no computer needed.

i dont own an UB kit so i really dont know the tweaks and specifics of them..
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed May 14, 2008 7:52 pm

it might be possible. I dont think it would be pretty when it did flash, but it might be.
mx107marlin

Post Wed May 14, 2008 7:58 pm

Don't if you have those kits on, and cut power to them, when power is returned, they will also return to the previous state.

So he could just use the parking lights to interrupt or flash on and off the master power to the ECU. Would take some creative wiring to make it work right, but not hard.
alkatmsu

Post Wed May 14, 2008 8:15 pm

Sounds like it'd be easier to have some LED strips to make a second UB kit, and just have it light instead of the blaze.
cardude007617

Post Wed May 14, 2008 8:18 pm

it was just an idea lol so let me get this straight-
with the underbody kits, you would turn your switch on then set the ecu/display to show what you want, its not just flick a switch and they'll start doing whatever it is they do
cardude007617

Post Wed May 14, 2008 8:38 pm

would having them come on with the dome lights (door open) be any simpler or is it still the same problemo
TheBrick

Post Wed May 14, 2008 10:37 pm

Any of the kits that change colour ect run on a ECU...a brain if you will.

You hook all the tubes up to the brain then you have a display and a remote. The brain has many built in functions you choose with the remote. Say you wanted blue you would program blue with the remote and bam the brain does what its asks and you now see blue. and on the display it will tell you the mode you happen to me on.

The reason you cant do what you are asking is because of the brain. You have to hook the power to the brain...ecu THEN to the tubes which makes it alot harder to do.

If you just chose the led strips as stated they have a power wire and ground thats it..So you could tap into your lights as well has have them on a switch.

Understand yet?
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed May 14, 2008 11:17 pm

^^^also the flowlighting single color LED kits have ECUs.

But yeah, you cant (or it would be very VERY hard) to do this because of the ECU.
cardude007617

Post Thu May 15, 2008 7:23 am

aight ill forget it, maybe i just found a use for my spare 19in LED strip i have sitting around... or something else

thanks though
PwrRngr

Post Thu May 15, 2008 7:53 am

Could he splice into the power wire on the tubes with his parking lights?

Seeing as how I don't own an UB kit I'm not sure. But it seems that if he spliced into the power wire on the tubes they should light up w/out the ECU being on. Again, I've never looked at one of the UB kits so there may be something about the wiring that I don't know about.
cardude007617

Post Thu May 15, 2008 7:55 am

i think i get what your ^ saying, but the tubes arent hooked up with power and ground wires to the ECU, its that cat5 cable (like ethernet wire) so i dont tihnk that would work either. its a cool idea, doesnt look like its gonna work though without either a different kit or major screwing around that i dont want to do lol. if i do decide to get the kit, i'll just try it ghetto style and see if it works or not.
mx107marlin

Post Thu May 15, 2008 6:23 pm

PwrRngr wrote:
Could he splice into the power wire on the tubes with his parking lights? .

You sir, are a winner....

At least with the V2, you can just tap into the power and ground wire, leave the ECU off... and the tubes will cycle through their default pattern....

If you have any networking experience, it wouldn't be hard at all to tap into the power and ground wires on whatever color you want it to be.... That cat-5e cable is just power and ground for red green and blue sections... so if you wanted it to flash blue with your parking lights, tap into the blue positive and blue negative in the cat-5e cable... That would turn blue to 100%, regardless of if the ECU is on or off....
cardude007617

Post Thu May 15, 2008 6:32 pm

BUT then when the car is running my park lights are ALWAYS on, so the tube(s) i tapped into the park lights themselves would ALWAYS be on with the car then..... so thats a no go; i think
PwrRngr

Post Thu May 15, 2008 6:39 pm

cardude007617 wrote:
BUT then when the car is running my park lights are ALWAYS on, so the tube(s) i tapped into the park lights themselves would ALWAYS be on with the car then..... so thats a no go; i think

That could be fixed with a 5 pin relay hooked up in the circuit.
cardude007617

Post Thu May 15, 2008 6:42 pm

ugh this is getting more complicated than i wanted it to, thanks for the help though.

any ideas of where i can put a 19in blue (my theme is blue) flex led strip? i have my intake cowls lit up in the front and the underbody will take care of the outside pretty well. i had it in my trunk but it wasnt enough really.... iv thoguht about under my hood, but i dont have it open enough at night to make it worthwhile for my time and effort. where else?
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Thu May 15, 2008 6:50 pm

well if the inside of the Wires look like thissssss

(inferno)
User posted image

Then to you sir..I say good luck
cardude007617

Post Thu May 15, 2008 7:01 pm

they'll always be on when the car is running though.......
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Thu May 15, 2008 7:14 pm

enless...you have a switch or something that you can flip...
no nevermind, im not going to finish that idea.

Good idea though. If you were using single color strips or beefies that JUST require 12v it would be easy as cake.
Kierra

Post Thu May 15, 2008 7:45 pm

well you say that your DRL are always on when the car is on.. who look for something that ONLY powers on when the alarm is hit..

i dont know your car but if something else turns on with the alarm, it could work

edit:
like for my car, the factory footwell lights will illuminate when i unlock the car.. so i would just tap into that.. but then the UB kit would also turn on when i open the doors..
but if positioned correctly, they could also act as a courtesy light depending on how far out the glow reaches..

just some food for thought
cardude007617

Post Thu May 15, 2008 8:03 pm

I dont have an alarm, its just the factory keyless entry.
Say i tap into the courtesy lights, wouldnt the interior lights go on when i turn on my underbodies?
Kierra

Post Thu May 15, 2008 8:25 pm

mine is factory as well i just call it alarm

and no, they wouldnt if you would use a diode..
cardude007617

Post Thu May 15, 2008 8:30 pm

explain, i could do it this way too, cuz my interior lights go on when i lock/unlock
Kierra

Post Thu May 15, 2008 8:43 pm

a diode would keep the direction of current to one direction.. so basically the current wouldnt head back up and keep the courtesy lights on..

So when you unlock the car, the dome light/ footwell lights come on.. as they do with mine, i assume.. well if you tap into the power of say.. the footwells, when these lights turn on, the UB color will turn on.. so Ub comes on when you hit unlock..

now your issue as you said before, is that when the UB kit is on, as the kit.. the footwell lights would come on.. and thats true, they would.
Placing a diode on a wire that connects the footwell wire to the UB wire will prevent the flow of current from comming back into the car and keeping the footwells on, when the kit is running on its own..

basically, (feel free for anybody to correct this, as i have not done it myself) you would just need to attach a wire to the footwell power wire, and then attach the other end to say.. the blue power wire of the UB kit.. but on this new line, you would need to attach a diode so the current can only 'travel' one way( from the footwells to the blue power wire in the kit)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode
cardude007617

Post Thu May 15, 2008 8:45 pm

actually no, i think i will do this. which diode would i need?
Kierra

Post Thu May 15, 2008 8:52 pm

idk.. it depends
for me personally, no not really.. its a pretty cool effect and not really one that everyone does.
On my next car ill be doing exactly what we are talking about here, but my current car isnt worth the trouble / i dont have an UB kit yet..

It sounds like a lot more work than it really is.. all you really have to do is just cut a wire and reconnect it using a diode.. then just attach the wire between the kit and the footwell wires..

another easy way would just be using a relay.. but i dont have much experience with them, so i cant really draw out a full description on them..
cardude007617

Post Thu May 15, 2008 8:55 pm

wait crap, would i be splicing all 4 tubes or what?
Kierra

Post Thu May 15, 2008 8:59 pm

im not really sure.. i dont know how many wires are run from the ecu or display or what-not.

for that we'd have to wait for someone who has the kit to chime in
cardude007617

Post Thu May 15, 2008 9:01 pm

i suppose i could do all 4 right where they plug into the ECU, im sure that would work alright. would this diode work? http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=6A-1KV
Kierra

Post Thu May 15, 2008 9:08 pm

im not sure.. i havent played with them before

i would assume so, but i wouldnt go based on my word alone..
i'd wait til someone else on the forums chimes in
cardude007617

Post Thu May 15, 2008 9:35 pm

i think i got this pretty much under control now. the plan as far as i can see is to get one of those diodes and from what i can tell the 6 amp would handle the kit id imagine. so ill hook up all the stuff, i plan on having the ecu under my backseat and drill a hole in the frame of the car to run the wires to the tubes thru. i'll connect the 4 cables to the ECU and get it power from my switch up front and ground it. Then i will splice into the positive on all 4 tubes that controls the blue lighting and splice a new wire into it, put a diode on that wire, and then tie into the rest of my interior lights. My interior lights stay on for like 15 seconds when you hit the unlock and maybe 5 when you hit the lock so i think it would be more useful then tying into the parking lamp flash.
the only thing i have to figure out is WHERE to tie in for the interior lights.....

sound good? here's the 6 amp diode i plan to use: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=6A-1KV
PwrRngr

Post Thu May 15, 2008 9:58 pm

I'm pretty busy this weekend but after it's over I'll make sure to get you a diagram of how you can hook this up. I can make it so that when your ignition switch is on, the circuit will be inactive. But when your ignition switch is off, the circuit will activate like desired.
cardude007617

Post Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am

cool, thanks
Cyber Knight

Post Fri May 16, 2008 9:46 pm

That was a big reason for going with the beefies, I didn't want an ECU, just wanted to be able to have them come on with an existing circuit.
cardude007617

Post Wed May 21, 2008 7:44 am

"bump", still trying to figure out how to do this
PwrRngr

Post Wed May 21, 2008 7:48 am

Sorry man, I've been super busy. I'll try to get it up later today.
cardude007617

Post Wed May 21, 2008 7:51 am

nooo its ok, my kit should come today, thats why iv kinda been waiting to repost on this thread lol. any help i do get though, thanks

and for the record, iv decided to wire them to my interior lights (they go on lock, unlock, and door open) instead of my park lights. thanks!
cardude007617

Post Wed May 21, 2008 9:07 pm

ok so another small update-

i got my kit in today, looks awesome but i think i have changed my mind a LITTLE bit on this idea. i dont want to cut apart the "ethernet" wires SO, my new idea is: since when you turn the kit on, it just goes into the first color it can show (red) so could i wire in a diode to my interior lights and go from there? so get power from before the ECU with the power wire, not splice into each of the 4 tubes at th ecu... follow me?
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed May 21, 2008 9:35 pm

I still think that if your kit doesnt come with a switch (Like the inferno)

That your REMOTE has to turn on the ECU through the DISPLAY.
cardude007617

Post Wed May 21, 2008 9:44 pm

it came with a switch, but i cut the switch out and just joined the two ends, i hooked the positive wire to the switch i bought and it will go on as soon as i flip the switch
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed May 21, 2008 9:47 pm

then...try to do the on thingy with the switch.
PwrRngr

Post Wed May 21, 2008 10:08 pm

cardude007617 wrote:
ok so another small update-

i got my kit in today, looks awesome but i think i have changed my mind a LITTLE bit on this idea. i dont want to cut apart the "ethernet" wires SO, my new idea is: since when you turn the kit on, it just goes into the first color it can show (red) so could i wire in a diode to my interior lights and go from there? so get power from before the ECU with the power wire, not splice into each of the 4 tubes at th ecu... follow me?

As I've never had or messed w/ an UB kit, I know about nothing with the specifics of the ECU. I'll hold off on the diagram until you figure out exactly what you're going to do. I could draw up how to wire it like you said but I don't know if it would work like desired.
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:10 pm
Page 1 of 1