Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

DIY Fiberglass/Carbon Fiber Sub enclosure - Page 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:04 am

Essentially I'm making a stealth box for my 13W7, I'm nearly finnished just have to add a few layers of carbon fiber to reinforce it and then filler to smooth the surface out. When i'm finnished I have bought oem carpet to blend it with the rest of my truck. It will just look like a speaker built into the oem panel. the amp is a JL 1000/1 v2 Slash.

User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image

Measuring cubic feet
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
Fo_SheeZy

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:25 am

Wow, lookin good so far. Can't wait to see the completed product.
TeDy

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:39 am

Damn... Makes me want to start fiberglassing..
Chris

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:26 am

nice step by step. I have always wondered how to do this.

How will you be attaching it or holding it down?
RRSport

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:54 am

it fit super tight from the way its made. in order to get it in and out it has to be put in on an angle. once its in it's in and not budging. if you have odd shapes the fiberglass basically snaps into place, if you make it fit tight. it looks funky right now, but when its done it will look perfect.
kornholio788

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:56 am

Wow dude looks awsome. Great work. Keep us updated on it.
lbjshaq2345

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:35 pm

Using rope dipped in resin would add more strength than the CF and save some cash. Since your going to carpet it anyway..
ChevyCaprice9C1

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:47 pm

looks great can't wait to see it done, i am starting my fiberglass boxes next week or so
RRSport

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:48 pm

lbjshaq2345 wrote:
Using rope dipped in resin would add more strength than the CF and save some cash. Since your going to carpet it anyway..

Rope is not stronger than carbon fiber, if that were true airplanes would be made of nylon. a top coat of carbon takes away the smallest amount of flex that the sub will give to regular fiberglass. Therefore, it makes it less boomy as traditional pure fiberglass box's are. think about it like this, carbon fiber are among the strongest fibers around. and when you weave them, the strentgh equals is stronger than steal. a few pieces of rope have only a uni-directional strength, they do not add a full scale strength in all directions. I've seen people use rope in their boxes before, it really doesnt do anything except add piece of mind if you dont know any beter. Trust me, I'm in school for architecture I know building materials real well.

You're right about it being cheaper though! I get about 40 Sq ft of high quality carbon for $100 shipped. I have some pieces from school that are carbon/kevlar weave 50/50 I'm going to add those just to say my box is bullet proof to some sort

Last edited by RRSport on Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total
kornholio788

Post Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:13 pm

And the noobie pwns the.......older noobie biglaugh.gif

Good info man. Well put.
lbjshaq2345

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:59 am

puppy_dog_eyes.gif You win, more pictures icon_razz.gif
Mav

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:13 pm

Looks nice. I'm curious though.. What's the deal with the Baby Powder? I've done Fiberglassing before, but haven't used Baby Powder in the process... Is there something I don't know about? Does it help the initial mold to release from what you're molding to, or what's the deal?
Radioflyer

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:57 pm

Mav wrote:
Looks nice. I'm curious though.. What's the deal with the Baby Powder? I've done Fiberglassing before, but haven't used Baby Powder in the process... Is there something I don't know about? Does it help the initial mold to release from what you're molding to, or what's the deal?

I think it may help keep the fiberglass resin off your hands. That stuff is a pain to get off.

Good Job. *subscribed*
RRSport

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:07 pm

Radioflyer wrote:
Mav wrote:

I think it may help keep the fiberglass resin off your hands. That stuff is a pain to get off.

Good Job. *subscribed*

exactly! I use rubber gloves as well as tyvek sleevs, but if you rub powder all over your arms and hands etc. it dows not allow the resin to stick to you and also if your sanding fiberglass, the shards of glass do not stick to you as much. If you need something for mold release, they make products that are called "Mold Release" for fiberglass molds, Meguiars makes it too.

As far as more pics go I have none, I took a break, its nearly 110 here daily and its too **** hot to be working with this crap. I'm going to resume again in a few days.
RRSport

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:43 pm

layed the cabon real quick just to finish the box off. Next I'll take resin mix it with Q-Cell to make a sandable resin. I'll spread it over the face to fill in all the gaps so everything is perfectly smooth. Small bumps and imperfections will show through carpet.
User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
Losing quickly

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:15 pm

looks good. Care to share exactly how to do your own cf parts?
robbie

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:16 pm

^^ Yes, exactly. I could do for a set of doors. icon_eek.gif
Chris

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:22 pm

Heres a question:

Why are you using carbon fiber if you plan on laying factory color fabric over it? Doesn't that defeat some of the purpose of using it?

Sure it is strong, but I'm positive there is stuff that is the same strength as it?
lbjshaq2345

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:08 pm

I don't really get it either. Yeah it's a monster sub, but CF is a little overkill when 12-15 layers of good fiberglass and some rope could have accomplished the same thing at a lower cost...
robbie

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:10 pm

2008 RangeRover-24inch wheels

JLW7

I don't think cost was a really huge issue here. Still cool and nice and sturdy.
lbjshaq2345

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:11 pm

lol good point....
RRSport

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:12 pm

CF is for the strength. I did not want to add 14 layers of freekin fiberglass, its not for looks. The more rigid that box is, the beter is will sound. Carbon fiber is not that expensive, if you're only making a box. depending on quality I can get it for as cheap as $70 for 40 Sq ft. (which is overkill) or for the primo **** its $100 for 40 Sq Ft. If you were to make a speaker box out of carbon you would only need 2 or 3 layers total. It cuts down on time, plus it is 100 times easie to work with. You can fold it over and it stays flush, it is just an overall beter material to work with. In addition, it takes way less resin to wet it. You cut down on a lot of supplies by using carbon for a larger box, so it ends up being close to equal. Why not go for the best results....?

Today I cut out the hole and sanded it back flush with the speaker ring... I can smell the finish line! I just have to smooth the facfe and make it flush against the oem trim, then carpet and hook this bad mama jama up.

If you're looking to carbon overlay parts, you need a suction system. It creates a perfect mold around the part plus the bag gives the carbon that glossy look that carbon parts have. this was just laying the carbon with resin, the quick easy way. If The carnon was going to be visible I would have had someone lay a top coat with a suction system to mnake it look good.

User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
Chris

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:44 pm

Ah, makes total sense now.

I have never done any fiberglassing, so all your help has definitely made me want to try this.

Looks great man!
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:55 pm

40 sq ft for $100 bucks....hmmmmm....*ponders ideas*
robbie

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:57 pm

*also ponders*

I wonder how easily i could interior pieces in carbon? icon_twisted.gif Custom headliner FTW?
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:58 pm

I was watching a show on model rockets...like the ones with the little "engines" in the back.

And this family made their own vacuum/suction chamber for carbon fiber rockets....

couldnt be that hard.

EDIT: BUT all your pieces you make would have to be one piece of carbon. Tis' bad looking to try to match up 2 sheets of carbon.
RRSport

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:03 pm

its not that difficult, however, if the pieces are larger or odd shapes it can be tricky. You also have to be very good at cutting the stuff to the exact shape and if it starts to fray on the edges it will look jacked up. any flaw will show so practice first.
robbie

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:07 pm

I am aware tdawg but the possibilities would be endless if i could get good.

I would do about anything for at least a carbon center console and door inserts. All the stuff people paint i would wrap in carbon and paint the rest of the interior black....GOD no i have to learn this ****. icon_biggrin.gif
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:08 pm

ive been thinking of learning it, I really want to.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/carbonfiber.htm
robbie

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:10 pm

Thanks man will hit that up and may pm this guy to get tips because he is crazy good at this. puppy_dog_eyes.gif
thesull

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:11 pm

but for curved pieces they will need to vacuum them ;/

My buddy who bought his sheers **** cut right through the material NICE... He used a paint pen and would draw around the item about 1/2 inch excess and would overlap the material behind the pieces.

I actually found a lot of how-tos on google just now.

I did it as projects with my buddies camaro, we did a lot of different pieces... not hard once you get use to using the material.
thesull

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:15 pm

robbie wrote:

I would do about anything for at least a carbon center console and door inserts. All the stuff people paint i would wrap in carbon and paint the rest of the interior black....GOD no i have to learn this ****. icon_biggrin.gif

best bet for a console is to lay over an original. We made FULL consoles but making a mock up using the balsa approach for you would take you more time than it is worth.

best bet, get a console from the junk yard... find the seams in it... measuring your material you will use thn consider the diameter. now find the sections of the console that come apart. usually the back or sides.... trim/sand down the areas where the material will wrap around the console and to make it all match back up...

cup holders are a NO but the outter cover could be done.... the ROUND ares will be a *****...
robbie

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:19 pm

Yeah, i will have to look into it more. I know the euro console doesn't sport cup holders and is made of carbon so i may fill stuff into a spare one in and see how i can't get it to turn out.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:20 pm

couldnt you vacuum cup holders though?

EDIT: Ive been meaning to remove my cupholders anyways...im tired of people leaving drinks in my truck...then I come out and there is a puddle in my cupholder.
thesull

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:25 pm

Tdawgthegreatest wrote:
couldnt you vacuum cup holders though?

You can vacuum any surface but will the material bend or contour to the shape is the question. It just doesn't FORM exactly how you want every time.

So your question can you? Sure.

But will it be a cup holder or a half of one? The material is FLAT and won't just stretch like you want. It is sometimes really thick for the good stuff. Stick with flat straight surfaces and they will turn out better.

A trick... buy some cheap material at wal-mart and cut it into the shape of the console.... i.e. along the sides and the top as ONE piece......and see how your fabric version matches up with tape. if it looks like crap with the fabric it would look worse with the carbon...
thesull

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:40 pm

Ok here is a pretty decent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noRRQ_1BMtQ&feature=related

You would nee bags big enough for each project... the supplies are where your costs are incurred not usually the material... ;/

Some use a brush on resin approach which is not as strong as a vacuum.

There are a couple kit ideas on the net for a vacuum station setup.... but if you see how they add the resin lines on the video you could understand how to setup a console.

a console would need at a minimum three: one for the top 2 for the sides. The actual LID will be separate. The more parts believe it or not your console can break down into the easier it will be... if you can MOCK up a console on a wood application you can vacuum the whole thing.

Another idea. Vacuum the console without the lid attached with a whole sheet on material then try and baby cut the areas out. The resin could crack in areas but it is worth a try.

Been a long time since I have used the material and I made a good bit of money doing it but scratching myself everyday I came home from fiberglass and carbon was not fun.
SuBXeRo

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:18 am

hahah dude where in az is that lol, thats def az
Kierra

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:36 am

robbie wrote:

hell yea.. bombing the interior with cf is much better than paint
KrzysD

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:32 pm

dude that looks AWESOME! minus the folded over parts, but no matter if its gonna be covered. wish i had the money to do that kind of stuff, and i love the house on the hill SEXY!
RRSport

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:59 pm

yeah I decided to throw the aesthetics out the window and just get it done. I got the oem carpet from Land Rover which is identical, so everything will blend well. Its in my trunk now, I just have to build up the top so it fits to the top panel which will make it flush. otherwise there woud be a gap that woulld allow you to see straight to the wheel well area (inside). I'll snap some more photos later. I have a **** load of school work to do this week so just wait. After that I get to wire this ***** up too, huge pain in the ass! I have 0 gauge wire that has to be run throught the craziest of places to make it flawless. icon_evil.gif

also the carbon on the face wont even be visible without carpet. I have to go over it with a super thick pasty resin mixture with Q-cell, it fills in the gaps and makes it look like those profesional glossy fiberglass boxes.
lbjshaq2345

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:36 am

You should make a tut on how you carpet it. I tried to cover the one I've been working on today and it turned out like absolute dog ****..two seams right across the front face..
RRSport

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:52 pm

I've never done it myself... I have a huge piece though and I was just going to drap it accross so there would be no seams. A lot of how it fits and molds depends on the quality of carpet. The carpet Land Rover uses is stretch, almost like it has an elasticity too it. It should bend and form real well for my project.
RRSport

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:00 pm

I'm not the biggest audio freek out there, but how and the hell do you cut 0 gauge wire? I have a Kicker PDK1 wire kit and they do not put the fuse block inline, I have to do it, bastards. In addition, I'm keeping my stock headunit, which is very nice. I have an oem subwoofer that also can be controlled fully by the H/U. I'm using a hi/lo converter to splice into the oem sub and re-routing it to my amp for my 13w7. By doing this I shoud not need the remote bass control to adjust the amount of bass right?
BLAZER_97

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:21 pm

RRSport wrote:
I'm not the biggest audio freek out there, but how and the hell do you cut 0 gauge wire? I have a Kicker PDK1 wire kit and they do not put the fuse block inline, I have to do it, bastards. In addition, I'm keeping my stock headunit, which is very nice. I have an oem subwoofer that also can be controlled fully by the H/U. I'm using a hi/lo converter to splice into the oem sub and re-routing it to my amp for my 13w7. By doing this I shoud not need the remote bass control to adjust the amount of bass right?

if the amp came with a bass remote, you can turn the bass up and down on the amp with the remote, other wise you can doit with your HU. But be like steve meade, scare the **** out of people with the control. Its funny.
lbjshaq2345

Post Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:51 pm

I use aviation snips or a razor blade to cut 0 gauge. It's a ***** yeah.
DJTricky

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:17 am

BLAZER_97 wrote:

if the amp came with a bass remote, you can turn the bass up and down on the amp with the remote, other wise you can doit with your HU. But be like steve meade, scare the **** out of people with the control. Its funny.

he was not useing the bass remote. he had this thing called the AudioControl "The Epicenter"

its a bass expender

http://mobileaudiocontrol.com/product.asp?Product_Id=14165

i have one in my truck. its sweet hahaha
BLAZER_97

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:31 pm

Where can i get one of these???
RRSport

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:14 pm

almost done. put the trim pieces back inside my trunk, and then used foam to fill the gaps around the box. When it dries I'll sand it, and then add a layer or two of resin with qcell (its basically a thick ass resin paste similar to bondo). Then comes the carpet and its done.
User posted image
thesull

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:24 pm

Not exactly what I was picturing as a final outcome..
RRSport

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:40 pm

its not done...You think I'm leaving it like this!?
thesull

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:46 pm

Wasn't sure... I could **** smoother turds ;) hehehe

I was like, uhhhhhh.... wow...
RRSport

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:25 pm

have to sand like this, a bit more.

and then fiberglass it

User posted image
Chris

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:08 am

interesting. I have never seen that before?
RRSport

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:56 am

I'm basically using it as a filler to give me the shape of the area around the box. Its quick and easy to grind down. if the speaker was a bit smaller I coud have just cut a hole in the panel and put the oem panel back on. But this is way to large to fit the oem panel, so I have to be able to make sure the box fits the entire side of my trunk or it would look funny having a gap all the way around.
RRSport

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:40 am

ok since many of you are not getting the idea of my finnished look, it will look like this, but only the speaker.

User posted image
RRSport

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:41 pm

made a thick batch if resin and painted it on. When it dries I'll lightly sand the bumps and then carpet it.

User posted image
User posted image
User posted image
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:43 pm

Looks good, cant wait to see the final product.
RRSport

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:43 pm

Sanded the first coat down, and now I just added the final coat. Just have to sand and add carpet
Just have to sand this and it will be finnished, then carpet.
User posted image
User posted image
thesull

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:58 pm

Ok it is shaping up more...
RRSport

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:11 pm

thesull wrote:
Ok it is shaping up more...

no more turd sandwich? haha

tried to do the carpet, however, I need a larger piece I was unable to get it to lay flat without a fold... icon_mad.gif see the one little fold on top? just one small piece it **** me off. That carpet is $75 p yard.

wow my carpet is so dirty... my **** used to look like that.

gives you an idea of what it will look like finished

User posted image
blktbon20s

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:32 pm

i'm sorry but you completely ruined that IMO.
Using that foam in a car? very unprofessional and sloopy work, Wouldn't think you would cut corners like that seeing the wheels you bought but guess i'm wrong.

I should do a DIY fiberglass enclosure on how its really done. Not saying i'm a pro but that just looks sloppy. But hey..might just be me
RRSport

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:51 pm

that is not cutting corners LMAO! The foam just builds a section that is not there. You cannot do that with fiberglass unless you make it 4 inches thick. Do you know how hard that is? no one would do that. a half inch of foam is nothing. Why would some make a solid brick of resin and then sand it down to barely nothing just to create a trim piece? I guess I'm unprofesional! hahahahhaha how does it look sloppy? **** my box looked even more sloppy when it was being FG'd. there is fiberglass over the half inch of foam and then the foam is picked out, it just acts as a filler to build on. Every box is different and different measures need to be taken to finish them. you should get off your high horse and step back to reality, you're are driving a LOWERED EXPLORER!

WTF do my wheels have to do with it? bro, dont get me started on your hoopty.

Yes you should do a DIY on it... please do us all a favor all mighty "Profesional" Blk T Bon 20s, WTF is that?
lbjshaq2345

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:20 pm

Black Trailblazer On 20s, figured it out the other day. And the first part looks good, but the last few steps you've taken have looked pretty sloppy and unnecessary dude. No need to bash him for his opinion.
RRSport

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:26 pm

bash? lol thats not bashing.

When was the last time either of you made a speaker box that took up an entire panel from front to back? you obviously have no idea what your talking about, and being a smart ass and giving an opinion are two different things.

and how are YOU going to tell me what is necessary or unnecessary "Dude"? Who the hell are you? are you my **** mother? like I said above, when was the last time you did a box that takes up an entire panel? Go to school youngsta

Before some gives a smart ass opinion, they should know what they're talking about. are you smoking his pole?

"Wouldn't think you would cut corners like that seeing the wheels you bought but guess i'm wrong" = Smart ass

Last edited by RRSport on Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 6 times in total
lbjshaq2345

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:28 pm

I think mine takes up more than a panel icon_eek.gif

RRSport

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:41 pm

icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif EXACTLY its a box that sits inside your TRUNK! It doesnt take up any panels, it just takes up space, my point exactly, you have never made a flush box that fits behind your paneling. I feel like I'm talking to a 13 year old, although you're probably only a few years older than that.

ANYONE can build a box and set it in their trunk. Now try to build that box behind your panels. see what I'm saying? both of you guys are serriously clueless.

I'm embarresed for you! you shouldnt chime in if you have no clue what your talking about. Even if you think might, you probably dont, so how about you give that a try it.

Last edited by RRSport on Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total
thesull

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:01 pm

I think his response was a joke about his not being able to fit behind the panels...

I have seen enclosures made many different ways...

I would have gone a little more technical making a jig... I would have made it with cardboard the old school way first then fab'd it all up that way... using the cardboard as my template ;)

I just want to see the end result... and the thumb print on the pillar is killing me just an fyi...
RRSport

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:06 pm

he was being serrious and is a moron! he was missing the point

its not a thumb print, its just a bunch of that tar crap from the sound deadner stuff. I'll be sure to put one on there next time though! I'll make it nice and dark for ya. I'm not cleaning till its finnished. my entire car is caked in dust.

I have too many curves in this box and trim line, and yes there are millions of ways to build boxes...
lbjshaq2345

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:42 pm

Dude wtf is your problem? I've tried to retain some level of respect for you because you do have a nice car, you did serve our country, and you pretty much know what you're doing. You need to realize there are so many different ways to do what you're trying to do. And from that picture you posted of the other system, it's obvious that you're not making something unique and original. Everytime somebody has said something that isn't bowing down to you, you've had something negative to say about them personally. I don't see anyone that has attacked you in this thread. You don't want people's opinions? Don't post your **** on a public forum on the internet, I hear it's serious business..
RRSport

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:31 pm

What?

no one has attacked me, did I say that? I just cant stand stupidity. You're the one who chimed in for your boy, not me. I'm just not going to let some chump (BLKwhatev..) get smart with me. making a comment negative or not, is cool with me. But if you do, dont be a smart ass about it. I'll be the first person to acknowledge when I'm wrong or if something is not going right. I'm not going to kiss someones ass who's making smart remarks.

"You need to realize there are so many different ways to do what you're trying to do"

believe me I'm aware, remember it was you and blk... who said it was unecessary, unprofesional, sloppy and cutting corners to do it this way. PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH. you're still not making sence.
mx107marlin

Post Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:48 pm

So this topic has gone way off topic... I've kept my mouth shut... I think there is some good information in this thread... but I think the enclosure looks like crap... I'd almost be happier with a box...

Keep in mind this is coming from a guy that has 2 Xplods in a cheap box, just sittin in my trunk...

But this is just my opinion and I encourage you to form one of your own...

Anyways, this has been a nice thread so far, let's keep it that way.... build your box the way you want it and don't worry about others opinions... if you like it, that's all that matters.
knatebetz

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:13 am

i think it might look better once you put the sub in and clean all the carpet back there and the panels.
thesull

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:22 am

knatebetz wrote:
i think it might look better once you put the sub in and clean all the carpet back there and the panels.

Thats what I am waiting on, I want to see the final piece. I like all the pictures though gives me perspective on the detail and time involved in his project.

I had laid cf before and I knew what he was saying about being stronger than glass... Agreed.

When I saw the foam everywhere I was like ekkkk... then he cleaned it up and cleaned it up some more... if he sanded it down more and polished it out some... got a lot of fabric, glued/stapled it in palce a stretched tight... then lay sub in place I think it may come out nice!
RRSport

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:07 am

thesull wrote:
knatebetz wrote:

Thats what I am waiting on, I want to see the final piece. I like all the pictures though gives me perspective on the detail and time involved in his project.

I had laid cf before and I knew what he was saying about being stronger than glass... Agreed.

When I saw the foam everywhere I was like ekkkk... then he cleaned it up and cleaned it up some more... if he sanded it down more and polished it out some... got a lot of fabric, glued/stapled it in palce a stretched tight... then lay sub in place I think it may come out nice!

Yeah, its funny how people think it looks like ****, when its not done. What fiberglass box looks great before its finished?. do you people bother reading the posts? or do you just look at the pics. I guarntee this will be a perfect example of a clean flush mount box when finished. Everything is dirty as hell and its pointless to clean it up.

There is no reason to sand it anymore since it's being carpeted. once my carpet comes in I'll finish that detail everything...Did someone actually think that last pic I posted was the final product? i draped some carpet over it to see how it looked. That carpet doesnt even fit.

This is the previous setup I was paid to do. It will turn out good, dont judge something before its finished

User posted image
User posted image
robbie

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:13 am

^^Who **** in your cheerios?

The setup in the white car looks good. Though that left sub enclosure looks to have like bumps or spots that are uneven. I don't know a damn thing about audio. And i don't want to i run a stock setup and that is plenty. Because to me personally audio is a waste like others see performance as a waste.

So i don't know what is sloppy and what is not. But i did see you flip out over a persons opinion who has some kind of knowledge in the business. I say keep at it will look good. I would think that foam would move like a ***** with all that vibration could be wrong. I can;t wait to see it. But i am confused as to why the entire rear end carpet was not removed to do this. It looks like hell right now. Unless your re doing it too?

But to sit here and just flame people is bad man. LBShaq was obviously not being any kind of ***** with what he said. But you decided to attack him. You probably will me too. But hey you posted it and people gave opinions. They tell everyone how they feel. If not then they would be lying to make you feel better. Unless that's what you want.
lbjshaq2345

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:43 am

robbie wrote:
I would think that foam would move like a ***** with all that vibration could be wrong.

Foam comes out icon_wink.gif , it's just to get a shape before glassing over...well I hope it came out..It continually expands over time...
robbie

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:19 am

^^ Thats what she said. icon_eek.gif
Chris

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:29 am

I like this thread, and hope it stays on topic.

Im learning quite the amount from it, so keep it up!

Is the box still removable? How did the foam not stick to any panels?

It looks nice, a lot better than I can do.

Just keep in mind though, some people have different ways of doing things. They may not approve of the way you are because they have a personal preference on how to do it another way. Just let it blow by so I can keep checking this thread with useful updates, not people arguing. Thanks icon_smile.gif
RRSport

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:06 pm

robbie wrote:

The setup in the white car looks good. Though that left sub enclosure looks to have like bumps or spots that are uneven.

I don't know a damn thing about audio.

But i am confused as to why the entire rear end carpet was not removed to do this.

Not bumps, it is dust.

Confused? yes I agree, The carpet was not removed because it did not need to be removed. Furthermore, it was dirty prior to this.

I agree it looks messy right now, but thats probably because its not finished. Fiberglassing a box of this size with all these cuves and non flat surfaces gets messy, Its not like MDF. The foam is not stuck to any panels, infact the foam is now in my garbage can, and yes the box is completely removable.

I think you all will be feeling quit embaressed when I'm finished, or for those who thinks its "Unprofesional" at least. That's all I'm saying.

And for LBShaq, its done, I just didnt need someone telling me what was necessary or unecessary. I know what is necessary, I'm the one building it.
robbie

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:14 pm

I don't think anyone will be embarrassed by their opinion. icon_confused.gif

Ok i didn't know it wasn't going to be left in there. Like i said i don't know a damn thing about car audio nor do i take the time because it's not my cup of tea. I think it will turn out good but what do i know. I think just boxes and subs are amazing biglaugh.gif
The time now is Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:42 am
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2