Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

which is the positive lead on surface mount plcc-2 leds?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:35 pm

Hello all. This is my first time messing around with leds and such so I'm totally new to all of this. I just picked up a handful of surface mount plcc-2 leds from oznium. I got them in the mail and took a quick look at them. I know a little about normal leds, and have read that if you connect the leads wrong (positive where negative should be connected) you'll blow out the led. As far as I can tell on these smt leds, there is no discerning the positive leads from the negative ones. If anyone could help me out that would be sweet. Or maybe it doesn't matter which side you connect where with smt leds?
corvettecrazy

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:57 pm

If you knew a little about LEDs (light emiting DIODE) you would know that wiring them in reverse does not blow them. They just wont light up.

Adjust whatever you are using for voltage to within the LED's range and test which side is which.
RomanHelmet

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:07 pm

well, thanks for the info. i guess that's good to know then. i have the resistors i need to for my power source, so i'll just see what happens. maybe i was confused that using too much power will blow them. either way, i'm sorry if i offended you with my lack of knowledge...
corvettecrazy

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:10 pm

Yes, too much voltage will blow them. It you have spares it can be a good show when they blow up, FYI.

I'm can be an ass hole, if you stick around (which you should) you will just come to accept it and not let it bother you. icon_wink.gif
RomanHelmet

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:56 pm

icon_lol.gif i do have some extras. i may have to try that.
Aken

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:43 pm

The side with the little notch on the corner should be positive.

User posted image
RomanHelmet

Post Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:13 pm

you are correct Aken. After I got home today and tried it out the side with the notch is indeed the positive icon_smile.gif
The time now is Thu May 24, 2018 8:06 pm
Page 1 of 1