Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

LED Scanning

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:54 pm

alright guys i wanna make the knight rider led scanner thing. i know other people have does this but i want to use my own leds, because it will look nicer then buying an LED stick. what do i use to make them scan
Aken

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:23 pm

Buy a Knight Rider LED scanner thingy and just replace it with your own LEDs.
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:09 pm

several processors... i don't fathom you doing one that looks right.... sorry to say...

www.knightlight.co.uk
SuBXeRo

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:20 pm

plus id have them connected on a pc board so they are all in a perect line but thanks for the link
SuBXeRo

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:22 pm

if i just had whatever is is t make the leds scan and how to make it i could do it, plus just the fact i would need the diffusors but thats ok, and my leds are brighter than theirs
SuBXeRo

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:27 pm

welll dont normal led stick have scannning capabilities
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:31 pm

SuBXeRo wrote:
if i just had whatever is is t make the leds scan and how to make it i could do it, plus just the fact i would need the diffusors but thats ok, and my leds are brighter than theirs

voltage regulators and progressive processors. all 64 circuts are soldered by the board individually and all tapped into the processor. don't think you could solder that small...

or buy a cheap varad one for $20 and use it's processor... only problem is it only has 5 lights.

the ones that scan have a control box you'd have to buy, which is more than a scanner in the first place.
SuBXeRo

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:34 pm

well i soldered my led panel together thats it my gallery on a circuitboard.. i may stand a chance u think radioshack sells sumthing like this
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:44 pm

i'm telling you you won't be able to do it. the processor, if you can get ahold of one, has leads abouts 1 mm apart, and are soldered by a pcb machine. kinda like the small circuts in a calculator. first the price to obtain one would probably excede a vard scanner, and then the price of the led's and the board on top of it.

i would fathom videonavi to do somthing of this stature maybe... but no offense, it's just not feasable.. and here's why...

http://www.bravous.com/oz/kls04.jpg

see the 8 square thing? they each have 8 leads coming out of the front, which is no thicker than 1/4 inch wide...
SuBXeRo

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:47 pm

why are things complicated lol
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:51 pm

that one is much more complicated than most... first off it's 64 leds. second off, it's got a fading tail that just looks phat as hell...

the varad one has 7 led's, and it's $20. and no fading... just an on/off scanning.
SuBXeRo

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:31 pm

thats true hmm i dunno mabye ill just put cathodes in my grill i have an extra pair
Sublime0069

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:42 pm

I got one of those LED scanners from JCWhitney. Its 8 LED's and a seperate control box for inside the cab. It looks AWSOME. I used to have the video online here at Oznium.

Also, cmeglow.com used to have instructions on how change the color LED's in that particular scanner to what you want.

I'll try and find a spot to host the vid

(It can kind of be seen in my sig)
ADDICTED2ICELED

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:45 pm

mine's got 64 led's icon_twisted.gif icon_twisted.gif icon_twisted.gif

j/p icon_cool.gif
SuBXeRo

Post Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:29 pm

i coulc make cool stuff with my leds and a pc board i just need to learn of how to make diff thkngs u know, like thekignt rider scanner on a larger scale you know or sumthing make it like multicolored
Sublime0069

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:17 am

With enhancements to existing products, yeah, there's no choice but to make em custom.

BUT, sometimes, its just cheaper to get off the shelf proprietary stuff and mod it that way. [Basic scanner and swap LEDs']
SuBXeRo

Post Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:19 am

thats true, but i might just put cathoides in instead
TechSys

Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:49 pm

cmeglow.com still has the tutorial on converting the JC Whitney scanner light.
http://www.cmeglow.com/explorertechtip.htm
Brandon

Post Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:08 pm

SuBXeRo

Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:47 pm

yeah i actually found that the other day, when i was searching around. i decided to not make one, instead im going to put leds in my grill and connect them to my directinal so they blink which way im going
knightlight

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:36 pm

ADDICTED2ICELED wrote:
several processors... i don't fathom you doing one that looks right.... sorry to say...

www.knightlight.co.uk

Thanks for the link there. There are a few types of scanner lights out there, you need to pick the right one that is right for your budget. Yes Varad are cheap or JC Whitney, with between 5 or 8 LED's. The knight rider car has 8 light bulbs, so the movement can look okay with 8 segments. But LED's are small if you use few then it can look dotty. The original light bulb light faded due to the filiments cooling down, to get this effect in LED's you need to have various brightness levels on each LED. This can be done a couple of ways, one is to hang a capacitor on each output so it will fade away or have it all in total control of a microprocessor.
There are circuits out there using up/down counters and a 555 timer, if you wanted to make one yourself this could be a good way to go, plenty of information on the internet and parts arn't that expensive, less than 3 for the counter and timer chip, LED's should be 0.20p or less for low brightness ones, you could put a capacitor on the outputs of all of these to create the fading effect.
The image at http://www.bravous.com/oz/kls04.jpg has 64 LED's, there are 286 components on that board, one microprocessor and 8 LED driver registers. Each output is capable of driving more than one LED but we over engineered it to last longer. The processor runs throught 1million instructions per second and the LED's are some of the brightest in the world in 5mm format they are imported direct from the manufacturers in Taiwain. The light refeshes the display around 2000 times persecond which creates 16 brightness levels by flashing the LED's on and off very fast, too fast to see.

Dan.
dbismyname

Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:04 pm

wtf??? dude this post has been dead for months man, im sure hes not lookin for this info now. welcome to oz by the way icon_cool.gif
knightlight

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:33 am

dbismyname wrote:
wtf??? dude this post has been dead for months man, im sure hes not lookin for this info now. welcome to oz by the way icon_cool.gif

Many people still reading this thread before I added the last message, two people clicked on the link a couple of times the day before. Thought the info would be handy for anyone else readingt his thread.

Thanks for the welcome to oz. Certainly some nice cars on here.

Dan.
Adrian

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:31 pm

Hey Dan, welcome to the Oznium forums icon_biggrin.gif
The time now is Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:43 pm
Page 1 of 1