Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

NY traffic light laws on vehicles?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:00 pm

After starting my own led business and looking at my states laws, there is a loophole or 2 concerning installation. In NY, you can only "affix" white lites on motorcycles or cars. No other colors other than red (for cops) blue for fire volunteers (with permission from their chief or boss) and amber for hazardous vehicles is allowed to be "affixed". My question is what is the penalty if you are caught "affixing" another color to a motorcycle or car? What has been the penalty to the ones who were caught, ticketed and convicted????

Another interesting point is , colored lights ARE allowed on snowmobiles, atv's, boats/vessels, as long as you do not use a red/whote/blue in a blinking fashion. HMMM but not cars or motorcycles.

Did you know it is against the law to own and operate a bycycle in NYS without a bell????

Crazy!!!
02BlueStang

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:52 am

there are a lot of laws you probably dont know about.....like most states require you have a permanently installed garbage container in a vehicle and it can be ticketed...but its rarely enforced as we would be writing tickets all day.

With the ATV, Boat, Snowmobiles they are recreational vehicles and will not be used on public roadways which is why the laws are different.

I cant speak for your state as I dont know the exact laws and dont want to research them icon_lol.gif

As for installing something not for public roadways you carry the risk of being cited but usually it lands on the person operating the vehicle. If they chose to use the lights they would be ticketed for it which is usually the same as a moving violation citation.

If the law specifically addresses those "affixing" the items to a motor vehicle such as an installation shop I would assume you could be held liable if you are caught installing the products. I would contact your state patrol for all vehicle equipment questions and public roadway laws icon_wink.gif
Moss

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:56 pm

tanman wrote:
After starting my own led business and looking at my states laws, there is a loophole or 2 concerning installation. In NY, you can only "affix" white lites on motorcycles or cars. No other colors other than red (for cops) blue for fire volunteers (with permission from their chief or boss) and amber for hazardous vehicles is allowed to be "affixed". My question is what is the penalty if you are caught "affixing" another color to a motorcycle or car? What has been the penalty to the ones who were caught, ticketed and convicted????

Another interesting point is , colored lights ARE allowed on snowmobiles, atv's, boats/vessels, as long as you do not use a red/whote/blue in a blinking fashion. HMMM but not cars or motorcycles.

Did you know it is against the law to own and operate a bycycle in NYS without a bell????

Crazy!!!

When was the last time you saw a ATV/Boat/Vessel/snowmobile pulled over?

Or cruising on city streets?
tanman

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:17 pm

I just received an email from a district attorney who i asked the question to. His response is below:

"I believe this is only a traffic infraction, not a crime. It is a technical offense, which I rarely see ticketed. However, if you were to be ticketed, it would only involve a fine in the range of 50.00. I don%u2019t belive it would result in any points against your license."

icon_lol.gif
tanman

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:19 pm

02BlueStang wrote:
there are a lot of laws you probably dont know about.....like most states require you have a permanently installed garbage container in a vehicle and it can be ticketed...but its rarely enforced as we would be writing tickets all day.

With the ATV, Boat, Snowmobiles they are recreational vehicles and will not be used on public roadways which is why the laws are different.

I cant speak for your state as I dont know the exact laws and dont want to research them icon_lol.gif

As for installing something not for public roadways you carry the risk of being cited but usually it lands on the person operating the vehicle. If they chose to use the lights they would be ticketed for it which is usually the same as a moving violation citation.

If the law specifically addresses those "affixing" the items to a motor vehicle such as an installation shop I would assume you could be held liable if you are caught installing the products. I would contact your state patrol for all vehicle equipment questions and public roadway laws icon_wink.gif

Thanx for the response.
SuBXeRo

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:21 am

ur best bet, anywhere you go, assume they are illegal. Red/Blue will **** you, imitating a police ofice/rescue vehicle will land u in a lot of hot water. Some cops dont know the laws like the back of their hand and even though it is legal, they might just pull you over and find something else wrong. Been my philosophy so far lol.
Highland J

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:05 pm

^^^^ very well stated.. thats what i go by also
tanman

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:38 pm

"they might just pull you over and find something else wrong" this is about as true as can be. You can have a new car diving nice and slow, and STILL get a ticket for the dirty license plate. LOLOL
clutch1

Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:17 pm

So true!
I got nailed by a trooper the other day for 3rd brake light out (2nd day out of storage! lol!).. he also wrote a warning for my tint. Darn 3rd brakelights will get you!
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:34 pm
Page 1 of 1