Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Don't text and drive

Author
Message
Knox

Joined: Feb 12 2003
Posts: 6851
Location: Orlando, FL


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:18 pm

Pretty intense PSA against texting and driving icon_eek.gif


corvettecrazy

Joined: Dec 17 2003
Posts: 4357
Location: moved (twice)


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:58 pm

Wow.
The_Mastor

Joined: Jan 23 2006
Posts: 4195
Location: Idaho


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:02 pm

icon_eek.gif
ethanFBM

Joined: Jul 07 2008
Posts: 466
Location: PHX, AZ


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:14 pm

man **** that
i feel all down now
knatebetz

Joined: Apr 19 2008
Posts: 1504
Location: Nebraska


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:15 pm

puppy_dog_eyes.gif
Kindschi

Joined: Oct 09 2008
Posts: 1458
Location: St Louis Missouri


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:37 pm

Yikes!
daven75

Joined: Nov 28 2007
Posts: 862
Location: plainfield, IL.


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:09 pm

damn i was kinda sad before this, i almost cried after!
bhowell879

Joined: Oct 19 2007
Posts: 370
Location: Dayton, OH


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:19 pm

I saw that earlier. **** nuts
Lacrossefox

Joined: Apr 21 2008
Posts: 626
Location: Plano


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:01 pm

ya i wasnt in the best of moods and now im just sad. wow.
clutch1

Joined: Oct 08 2006
Posts: 1928
Location: around hurr.


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:01 pm

Was that an episode of the young and the Restless?

That old lady must've forgotten to take her meds. Pretty good enactment overall, though.
zanson

Joined: Feb 28 2007
Posts: 907


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:07 pm

thank god someone finally made a real PSA... seriously they should show this to every teen in every school in the world... would make n e one think twice.
02BlueStang

Joined: Dec 13 2004
Posts: 4757


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:09 am

welcome to the reality of car accidents.

Only takes a second of not paying attention to change your life and someone elses forever....It is illegal to drive and text in Washington State; but its a secondary offense so you cannot be stopped specifically for that, same with talking on a cell phone without a hands free device.

Had a motorcyclist get hit the other day head on by a car...driver was talking on a cell phone not paying attention and crossed centerline.
thefiredogg

Joined: Jan 27 2004
Posts: 571
Location: Cleveland Ohio


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:33 am

every 16yo needs to see this. they did a damn good job making this
Knox

Joined: Feb 12 2003
Posts: 6851
Location: Orlando, FL


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:06 am

Here's a little rant on hands free laws. You are just as distracted talking through a bluetooth headset as you are holding the phone. It's the conversation that distracts, not holding the phone to your ear. I don't know many people who drive with both hands on the wheel anyway.
Aken

Joined: Feb 12 2003
Posts: 10885


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:39 pm

Knox wrote:
Here's a little rant on hands free laws. You are just as distracted talking through a bluetooth headset as you are holding the phone. It's the conversation that distracts, not holding the phone to your ear. I don't know many people who drive with both hands on the wheel anyway.

I disagree, man. It's the devices that screw people up. I've never almost gotten into a crash because I was having a conversation with the passenger next to me. (Then again I'm not a moron, either.)

Hands-free device is way better than holding a phone to your ear, and infinitely more better than trying to text without being so suave you can do it without looking (I used to do that when I had a T9 phone, not anymore).

Somewhat related, there was a girl in Philly a couple days ago that swerved and hit two women, killing one of them, cause she was reaching for her iPod. Sad...
Knox

Joined: Feb 12 2003
Posts: 6851
Location: Orlando, FL


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:43 pm

I saw an experiment where they observed people driving talking with a cell phone in hand, talking with hands-free device, and then talking to a passenger.

The people talking on the phone or the hands-free drove worse than those talking to passengers. I don't really understand why that is, but somehow the distraction levels are different.

EDIT: here it is: http://perspect.siuc.edu/06_sp/car_talk.html

Quote:
"Whatever the topic of conversation is, you're processing it very actively. The cell-phone industry has basically said, 'Look, you talk to passengers all the time, and we can't ban that, so why should we ban phones?' [But] we found the accident rates were more than twice as high when you're on a hands-free phone versus talking to a passenger for the exact same conversation."

Why would that be? "When you lack all of the non-verbal cues of a close-contact conversation, the conversation is that much more demanding," Rose explains. "Some research suggests that 90 percent or more of a conversation is actually non-verbal. It uses a huge amount of your attention to try to deal with the fact that you're missing all those cues."
Bobby Lee

Joined: Mar 01 2003
Posts: 3881


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:01 pm

Meh, I'm against stuff like this. There are a million things that could potentially distract a driver enough to cause an accident. Radios have been in vehicles pretty much since the very first one came off the assembly line, and account for a HUGE portion of those crashes caused by inattentiveness. However, you still don't see specific laws that allow for a "changing your radio station while driving" ticket. A careless driving ticket is a careless driving ticket. That's the bottom line. There's no reason to go making a specific one just for texting...
TRogers

Joined: Feb 09 2005
Posts: 6083
Location: Ohio


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:59 pm

Bobby Lee wrote:
Meh, I'm against stuff like this. There are a million things that could potentially distract a driver enough to cause an accident. Radios have been in vehicles pretty much since the very first one came off the assembly line, and account for a HUGE portion of those crashes caused by inattentiveness. However, you still don't see specific laws that allow for a "changing your radio station while driving" ticket. A careless driving ticket is a careless driving ticket. That's the bottom line. There's no reason to go making a specific one just for texting...


Took the words out of my mouth.

QFT.
Knox

Joined: Feb 12 2003
Posts: 6851
Location: Orlando, FL


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:03 pm

I feel that changing a radio station only takes a couple seconds while texting or having a conversation will last much longer and distract for a longer period of time. It really depends on the person though.
Moss

Joined: Mar 23 2004
Posts: 6436


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:06 pm

**** like this only happens overseas clearly, listen to their accents.
TRogers

Joined: Feb 09 2005
Posts: 6083
Location: Ohio


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:07 pm

I agree Knox, if I have to check an email or text while going down the road, it's always split second glances at the phone, then go back to the road, check my surroundings, etc.

I try not to do it, but when I do...I'm extremely cautious.


Some people/kids lose sight of the road for a few seconds or more at a time, that's when accidents happen.
TRogers

Joined: Feb 09 2005
Posts: 6083
Location: Ohio


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:07 pm

Moss wrote:
**** like this only happens overseas clearly, listen to their accents.


biglaugh.gif biglaugh.gif
clutch1

Joined: Oct 08 2006
Posts: 1928
Location: around hurr.


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:19 pm

TRogers wrote:
I agree Knox, if I have to check an email or text while going down the road, it's always split second glances at the phone, then go back to the road, check my surroundings, etc.

I try not to do it, but when I do...I'm extremely cautious.


Some people/kids lose sight of the road for a few seconds or more at a time, that's when accidents happen.


If you know your phone/ what word order your T9 has (for words like if/he/id), you don't even need to look at the phone if you're sending a text. A quick glance to make sure it's OK and off it goes. If a text needs to be well thought out/ has big words that T9 doesn't know.. then ya just wait for a redlight to do that.

That's how I do it, and I haven't gotten into any even remotely close calls yet. *knock on wood*
thesull

Joined: Jun 06 2008
Posts: 1494


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:32 pm

I was riding with my best friend about 5 years ago he was driving his s10...

He was texting and talking to me... I was in the passenger seat. I looked down at my phone to see the time and look back up and we were beginning to fish tail from hitting the median grass as it just rained that day... the truck spun violently and actually rolled one full roll on the hood of the truck before landing on the tires and spinning multiple more times before stopping.

I seriously thought I was dead.

Scared the sh*t out of me. Always have thought twice about it since then and even tell friends...

These type videos should be shown more.

sad ;./
Radioflyer

Joined: Sep 25 2007
Posts: 1563


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:01 am

Bobby Lee wrote:
Meh, I'm against stuff like this. There are a million things that could potentially distract a driver enough to cause an accident. Radios have been in vehicles pretty much since the very first one came off the assembly line, and account for a HUGE portion of those crashes caused by inattentiveness. However, you still don't see specific laws that allow for a "changing your radio station while driving" ticket. A careless driving ticket is a careless driving ticket. That's the bottom line. There's no reason to go making a specific one just for texting...


I partially diagree. Texting requires one take their eyes off the road for at the very least a full 2 seconds to read the message then type it. This mean your eyes also need to re-focus to a closer object, then back on the road again. Assuming for a moment that you're just a bad-ass texter who has memorized all the key patterns for all the words you'll ever use, this still means you'll have at least 5 seconds of driving blind.

This also applied to the following:
- Dialing while driving
- Makeup while driving
- Noobs changing the radio station while driving

HOWEVER. some activities can be easily done while you continue to look at the road.
- Eating while driving (drinking but only from a straw in a drink that's not in your lap)
- Talking on the phone (it CAN be done, but for some reason, people just suck at it....not sure why)
- Operating a radio you're very familier with. (memorized the position of the important buttons/dails

The biggest 2 problems are
a) people believe they are capable of doing anything while driving....for just a second.
b) it would be almost as impossible to enforce legelsation against texters (or any other distractions) as it would be to catch all the druk drivers there are on the roads.

IMO the best thing you can do is just be aware of your surroundings on the road. and always leave enough room to manuver your car even at a stoplight.
TRogers

Joined: Feb 09 2005
Posts: 6083
Location: Ohio


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:00 am

Smith System.


My Dad went through it and taught me the ropes at the same time (plus he used to be a semi instructor). Main thing to remember is Leave yourself an out!


http://www.smith-system.com/
Knox

Joined: Feb 12 2003
Posts: 6851
Location: Orlando, FL


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:36 pm

I always assume the person driving near me is going to do something dangerous so I plan ahead on what to do if the situation occurs.
TRogers

Joined: Feb 09 2005
Posts: 6083
Location: Ohio


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:44 pm

You just graduated.
Knox

Joined: Feb 12 2003
Posts: 6851
Location: Orlando, FL


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:53 pm

Woohoo! biglaugh.gif
justadream1121

Joined: Jun 04 2007
Posts: 677
Location: Milwaukee, WI


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:02 pm

To go along the lines with this story....

I saw a billboard on the way to work the other day and it said "Inclement weather doesn't cause accidents..... Distractions do!"

...I thought to myself. wait. Isn't that billboard a distraction?!?!

icon_eek.gif
Bobby Lee

Joined: Mar 01 2003
Posts: 3881


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:14 pm

Knox wrote:
I always assume the person driving near me is going to do something dangerous so I plan ahead on what to do if the situation occurs.


That's the mentality I have when I'm on my bike. I assume the cagers around me have absolutely no clue that I'm on the road. That makes me drive that much safer...
Tdawgthegreatest

Joined: Jul 22 2007
Posts: 5093
Location: Florence, Oregon


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:30 pm

02BlueStang wrote:
welcome to the reality of car accidents.

Only takes a second of not paying attention to change your life and someone elses forever....It is illegal to drive and text in Washington State; but its a secondary offense so you cannot be stopped specifically for that, same with talking on a cell phone without a hands free device.

Had a motorcyclist get hit the other day head on by a car...driver was talking on a cell phone not paying attention and crossed centerline.


Someone got killed on a motorcycle here the other day here too. The Girl was texting and pushed him into the center divider.

**** crazy, tis' why I don't text when im driving. Plus im too busy avoiding potholes.
Radioflyer

Joined: Sep 25 2007
Posts: 1563


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:55 pm

Knox wrote:
I always assume the person driving near me is going to do something dangerous so I plan ahead on what to do if the situation occurs.


I follow a similar code:

"I always assume the person driving anywhere remotely near me is in the process of doing something stupid so I plan on what to do when they get closer."
robbie

Joined: Apr 23 2006
Posts: 5754


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:56 pm

sadly i dont plan ahead.

Because if they hit me, then i'll let the legal system do its work and reap the benefits.

If they somehow manage to realize OH ****, i give em the old fashioned finger.
Bobby Lee

Joined: Mar 01 2003
Posts: 3881


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:26 pm

^^^ And if they're an uninsured, illegal immigrant that just drives away?
robbie

Joined: Apr 23 2006
Posts: 5754


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:14 pm

well obviously, i dont take well to stupid drivers.

im not gonna sit there and be like....well damn. I'll make sure someone pays. Thankfully i live in a city where we dont have alot of those. icon_biggrin.gif
TechnoBill

Joined: May 09 2009
Posts: 23
Location: N.W. Ohio


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:17 pm

BRING THAT PSA TO THE United States!

And if you're splitting hairs about the relative degree of distraction that various activities introduce into the driving environment I pray that denial system never catches up with you.

There are MANY potential distractions. The key is to eliminate or minimize as many as is within your power. +1 to those who commented on leaving an out, and constantly playing the "What If" scenarios.

Soap opera? Elderly lady just had her son and daughter-in-law slaughtered, and grandchild may die, or worse, too? That elicits a joke?

Your Mom, Your Aunt, Your Sister, that's who those girls are. Maybe someday they'll be your Wife, your Daughter or both. For the survivors, the impact of that moment will resonate in them EVERY DAY for the rest of their lives. Maybe you'll get to be the father who receives the phone call and has to tell his wife! icon_evil.gif
slammedcivic21

Joined: Aug 12 2008
Posts: 15


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:29 pm

this video is highlighted on aol's home page. crazy how fast it gets around
banned from SG

Joined: Jul 01 2003
Posts: 5127


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:00 pm

I almost hit a mailbox the other day TWD. I'll admit it. I've also changed pants while driving too without a hitch. Its not something I make a practice out of though.

Also, Bobby, a lot of cars nowdays have radio controls on the steering wheel so one doesn't have to look away from the road to operate the radio (assuming one knows the location of the buttons they want)
Moss

Joined: Mar 23 2004
Posts: 6436


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:35 am

I have seen like 10 status updates for linking this video.
The time now is Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:30 pm
Page 1 of 1