Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

LEDs and Dome, door switches, and domelight switch

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:33 pm

I currently have a project of converting every light in my car (chevy Corsica, don't laugh) to LEDs. I want the LEDs to have the same function of the regular lights. The problem I am having is when I wired the LEDs up to the white wire, which is supposed to be the switched wire (from the door pin switch) and hooked the ground wire up, the LEDs stay on, no matter what.
How would I go about wiring this up, so when doors are open, or dome light switch is on, the LEDs will come on?
I will be taking out the normal incandescent lights that were factory installed, if that helps.
If more info is needed about what I am trying to do, I will try to be more precise (not sure if that can be done though)

thanx
Neon Mike

Post Sun Mar 23, 2003 12:50 pm

Take a volt meter and double check that the white is switched. Sometimes they will switch the ground wire from domes so if you aren't using the same wires as the light was you may be feeding the LED and going staright to ground.

Wish I could help ya out some more but that's alll I can think of for now.
TechSys

Post Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:53 pm

Thanx for the reply. I got it working. St00pid me was trying to use a seperate ground, this caused the LEDs to stay on. I ended up touching the wires to the clips that hold the normal bulb in place, the LEDs lit up (blinded me for a bit also).
White wire was the ground, but is switched. What I did was very simple, put the + wire on one side of the normal bulb, and the - wire on the other side. Lights up perfect and turns off when doors are closed.

Now to get to work on my blinker system and 3rd brake light
omega

Post Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:48 pm

Yea I replaced my dome light with a LED not long ago, it doesn't light up the front which I would use for like reading a map or what not, but it is nice for the back seat.
The time now is Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:10 pm
Page 1 of 1