Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Finding a New Job (16.5 years old)

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:29 pm

okay so here's the story,

i got fired from my job back in November from hy-vee, for stealing bottles of alcohol. i have put in about 7 applications since then and had no luck. Not sure if not getting hired was the result of being fired by hy-vee or places just not hiring. I'm almost 17 so my job choices are somewhat limited but i could use some suggestions.

Also should i include my job at hy-vee on my applications or just omit it? On all of my previous applications i have omitted hy-vee but i'm not sure that would be good if they did a background check and found out what happened, it would look like i was hiding it.

Just looking for some help/ ideas because i need a new job to help afford the 1998 Jetta VR6 that i want to buy.

any help is appreciated
Tim

Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:40 pm

How long did you work at "Hy-Vee"? Chances are if you got fired they won't give you a good recommendation. Although I don't even know if jobs that you can get at that age actually call your previous employers.
PwrRngr

Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:40 pm

Yeah, omitting it would look like it's hiding and most likely would result in questions on why. If you get an interview you better hope they don't ask why you were fired. You'll pretty much be disqualified right away when they find out you were fired for stealing from the company.
HoolaKinG

Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:46 pm

Yeah, stealing from a job could easily screw you over - better think of a good way to explain that if it comes up...even if it is something like "I screwed up, but I've learned from that experience and here are some ways you can see that I've learned and grown since then, blah blah blah"

Were you actually arrested/convicted for it, or just fired? A lot of places ask if you've been convicted of anything, which would make it pretty much impossible to avoid telling them about

But either way, check any department stores or grocery stores in the area, that seems to be the general places high school people work.
campbellsco

Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:54 pm

i would preferably like to work at a restaurant because it seems to me they would be less likely of having a problem with me stealing from a grocery store. i worked there just over a year and I'm sure they won't give me a good recommendation, so do you all think i should list it as a reference and say that i was terminated. And if they ask I'll just explain that it was stupid and I've decided to be a better person and I've learned my lesson?
Tim

Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:58 pm

If you don't put it on the application then they won't ask about any past employers.

I think when you're that age, most places expect little or no job experience. Especially in the restaurant industry. Don't forget that the job market in the US is pretty horrible right now too.
bad venge

Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:16 pm

Fast food most don't even ask about employment
campbellsco

Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:24 pm

yeah i know hiring is not that good.

i don't wanna work fast food i want to work at a nice restaurant. I just don't want to not put it on the application and then have them do a background check and find it.
justinwebb

Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:26 pm

campbellsco wrote:
yeah i know hiring is not that good.

i don't wanna work fast food i want to work at a nice restaurant. I just don't want to not put it on the application and then have them do a background check and find it.

lol good luck working at a good restaurant off the bat with no experience i was head chef at a nice restaurant here in town for 3 years and we wouldnt hire anyone without a decent bit of experience. You will more then likely have to work fast food or find a warehouse position.
Aken

Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:31 pm

Do NOT offer up information about previous work experience that ended badly for one reason or another. Just say you worked there, you don't need to say anything else in regard to why you left.

A generic job will not do a background check, and very few will actually call any references or previous employers you list. Especially if you're applying for generic positions like fast food or retail.
hyewarrior

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:09 am

What Aken said...

If it doesn't come up, don't mention it... My suggestion? Fast food, or try to get a porter position at a dealership
mntndewboy69

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:20 am

I usually "omit" about 2/3 of my previous employer history. I only list the places that will actually give a good referral. And even then, I never give the phone number. I just list the name of the company and supervisor. If they really want to call for any information on me, they better have time to find the phone number themselves, because I sure as hell don't have it anymore. I've applied to 40+ places in the last year or two and worked at over 20+ of the places I applied, not once have they done a background check. A few have done a criminal background check and a drug screening, but they never contacted any of my previous employers.
pOrk

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:48 am

You stole alcohol? Idiot

if your going to steal, steal *****
Tim

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:00 am

Haha, how do you steal *****?
TRogers

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:12 am

Tim wrote:
Haha, how do you steal *****?

That's what I was wondering...

That's a business I may get in to... biglaugh.gif
justinwebb

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:48 am

pOrk wrote:
You stole alcohol? Idiot

i'm allergic to cats id rather not
PwrRngr

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:50 am

mntndewboy69 wrote:
I usually "omit" about 2/3 of my previous employer history. I only list the places that will actually give a good referral. And even then, I never give the phone number. I just list the name of the company and supervisor. If they really want to call for any information on me, they better have time to find the phone number themselves, because I sure as hell don't have it anymore. I've applied to 40+ places in the last year or two and worked at over 20+ of the places I applied, not once have they done a background check. A few have done a criminal background check and a drug screening, but they never contacted any of my previous employers.

LOL, bad math? 2/3 != 20/40. biglaugh.gif
But holy ****, working at 20 places in two year, that's staying at one place for just over 1 month. No wonder you don't put them on, that looks terrible to employers.
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:06 am

I worked at the local bike shop for about 5 months, and then went to california for vacation and never came back to work. I just simply leave them off my application/resume'.

Especially since I know he'd talk **** about me, as he is a ****.
HoolaKinG

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:16 am

And you just never went back to work and didn't say anything. One could argue you, sir, are also a ****.

icon_cool.gif
SE1289

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:32 am

does the .5 years matter enough to put it on there..really?
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:49 am

HoolaKinG wrote:
And you just never went back to work and didn't say anything. One could argue you, sir, are also a ****.

icon_cool.gif

I was never scheduled. I had to call him to see if he wanted me to work. If he wanted me to work, he could have called.
HoolaKinG

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:24 am

Makes more sense when explained that way.
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:34 am

You could sell drugs...
banned from SG

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:20 pm

Great post Phil. Now Oz is going to be houned by D.A.R.E. and the like for supporting drug use
zup89_4

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:59 pm

that is allways a good way to make money
Tim

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:46 pm

Phil wrote:
You could sell drugs...

So that's what your doing in Thailand. There's gotta be some heroin over there.
mntndewboy69

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:57 pm

PwrRngr wrote:
LOL, bad math? 2/3 != 20/40. biglaugh.gif

I omit 2/3 of the 20 places I did work at of the 40. If that makes any more sense. And yes, a little over a month. puppy_dog_eyes.gif I believe the longest job I have ever held was at the Saturn Dealership and that was for 4 months. I move around A LOT. And start / quit jobs even more than that. I have a bad track record when it comes to work. Something I am trying to work on.
02BlueStang

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:04 pm

did you get arrested for theft 3 and found guilty? If you did then you will have a VERY hard time with your age getting a job in customer service/sales. Might want to contact a family friend for a job or something like mechanics or construction. Those types of businesses will tend to give you a second chance if you prove your work ethic.
Aken

Post Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:24 pm

SE1289 wrote:
does the .5 years matter enough to put it on there..really?

When you're 16 it does.
campbellsco

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:01 am

hahah yes i feel special being almost 17 so get off my back.

no i was not arrested they never even got the police involved.

Quote:
You stole alcohol? Idiot

i have no need to steal ***** and i was making bank stealing alcohol some ***** narked on me

thank all of you for your input
pOrk

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:37 am

campbellsco wrote:
hahah yes i feel special being almost 17 so get off my back.

no i was not arrested they never even got the police involved.

Quote:
You stole alcohol? Idiot

i have no need to steal ***** and i was making bank stealing alcohol some ***** narked on me

thank all of you for your input

It was a joke, much like your IQ.
PwrRngr

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:16 am

pOrk wrote:
It was a joke, much like your IQ.

LOL biglaugh.gif
campbellsco

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:26 pm

yeah i was kidding, so you don't have to comeback with something to make yourself look better than me just because your older than me.
Chris

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:46 pm

No, he is right. Why would you steal alcohol and "make bank"? "making bank" doesn't mean $20.

Did "making bank" while stealing alcohol allow you to come out on top? You made what, $200 on selling stolen alcohol, while during that time you could have made well over that if you continued to work at that job.

I have no respect for people like you.

At 16 you should count your blessings for even HAVING a job. There are numerous people who are looking for jobs that are your age and older, and I hope someone deserving got that job.
silentalero

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:41 pm

Chris wrote:
No, he is right. Why would you steal alcohol and "make bank"? "making bank" doesn't mean $20.

Did "making bank" while stealing alcohol allow you to come out on top? You made what, $200 on selling stolen alcohol, while during that time you could have made well over that if you continued to work at that job.

I have no respect for people like you.

At 16 you should count your blessings for even HAVING a job. There are numerous people who are looking for jobs that are your age and older, and I hope someone deserving got that job.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Seriously, stealing alcohol? I hope these places are doing their research on you because you obviously have not learned your lesson.
thefiredogg

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:16 pm

At my old grocery store job they used to keep a very close eye on the beer and the liquor. Right before i got hired they found a couple high school kids were smashed in walk in beer cooler. might as well get paid to drink i guess or wait "stocking"

my input is go work somewhere with the family.
Tim

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:30 pm

So what we're trying to say is yes, you probably should put your previous employment on your application. Don't worry, they won't question why you got fired from your last job icon_wink.gif
Knox

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:38 pm

campbellsco wrote:
i would preferably like to work at a restaurant because it seems to me they would be less likely of having a problem with me stealing from a grocery store.

So your thinking assumes that a place full of food and drink wouldn't have a problem with you stealing from another place full of food and drink?

Hiring manager- "Well he just stole some alcohol from a grocery store. Not like he's going to steal alcohol from our restaurant right?"
corvettecrazy

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Karma's a *****.

Honestly, I don't feel sorry for you nor do I wish you any luck in finding another job. Actually I hope you don't find one for quite a while, so you can be frustrated, broke and think about how dumb it was.
Moss

Post Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:42 pm

We all did something stupid at some point in our life. Cut the kid a little bit of slack.

If you are trying to get a job at a restaurant it's pretty basic dude. Having a friend or relative working at a restaurant makes it alot easier to get a job. Being a busboy or dishwasher to start might be the route you have to go.
pOrk

Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:23 am

Moss wrote:
We all did something stupid at some point in our life. Cut the kid a little bit of slack.

If you are trying to get a job at a restaurant it's pretty basic dude. Having a friend or relative working at a restaurant makes it alot easier to get a job. Being a busboy or dishwasher to start might be the route you have to go.

Doing something stupid, and bragging about doing something stupid are two totally different things.
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 6:41 am
Page 1 of 1