Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

New wheels on the 350z

Author
Message
neox

Joined: Mar 15 2006
Posts: 66
Location: Dayton, OH


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:30 pm

UPDATE:: Got around to buying a digicam instead of using the ol cell phone, here's better pics.
ORIGINAL POST::
I found a set of ADR wheels with Pirelli tire that fit my car much better than the old wheels so I bought them. I also decided to remove my billet grill to go for the blacked out look a little more.

Car as I bought it OLD WHEELS with 225 tire all around, and horrible offset.
Car as of 3 months ago old wheels w/ 245 tire all around and 25mm wheel spacers front and back:
CURRENT picture.. new wheels with MUCH better offset, Front grill removed. F: 245/40/18 R: 275/40/18 w/ 20mm wheel spacer.
closeup of new ADR wheels with Pirelli tire:
They look and drive much better than the old set and they're in near perfect condition, definitely an improvement for $550. icon_biggrin.gif


Last edited by neox on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 4 times in total
Moss

Joined: Mar 23 2004
Posts: 6436


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:44 pm

Pretty slick. Great deal as well. Can't complain there, these cars blew up when they first came out it seemed like a lot of people were rolling them modified or stock, now I only seen them on occasion. Just realized this the other day.
Ryu

Joined: Dec 31 2005
Posts: 2479


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:25 pm

Great choice on the wheels bruh. Very sexy.
hyewarrior

Joined: Jul 19 2008
Posts: 1480
Location: 30 minutes from Los Angeles


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:58 pm

Thank you for fixing that horrible fitment... Looks a million times better!
Tdawgthegreatest

Joined: Jul 22 2007
Posts: 5093
Location: Florence, Oregon


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:01 pm

Those look like the same wheels on the Mustang. Mine are VR Racing or something like that.
Tat2Dragons

Joined: Jan 21 2007
Posts: 3404
Location: Baltimore Maryland


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:19 pm

A definite improvement.Looks real nice. icon_cool.gif
robbie

Joined: Apr 23 2006
Posts: 5754


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:37 am

Very good choice, love the offset, nothing like a big set of fat wheels on a wide car. MMMmmm
orangesuburban

Joined: Oct 21 2007
Posts: 561
Location: Clearwater, Fl


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:26 am

still using a spacer = fail. IMO.

pics of the eyelids?
robbie

Joined: Apr 23 2006
Posts: 5754


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:31 am

^^ Tell that to all the VW guys icon_rolleyes.gif
hyewarrior

Joined: Jul 19 2008
Posts: 1480
Location: 30 minutes from Los Angeles


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:34 pm

Spacers ftw

Why is it a fail? So many pricey cars use em
PwrRngr

Joined: Jul 19 2007
Posts: 4407


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:58 pm

hyewarrior wrote:
Spacers ftw

Why is it a fail? So many pricey cars use em

Properly fitted wheels FTW. A spacer is a CHEAP ghetto way to get the offset you want. It adds extra stress and just sucks all around.
hyewarrior

Joined: Jul 19 2008
Posts: 1480
Location: 30 minutes from Los Angeles


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:07 pm

Hmmm spending upwards of $4,000 to get 'properly' fitted wheels or spend $200 to get the same look on already wide wheels? Reason I say this is because my brother's car already comes with super wide wheels, but adding 15mm in the rear and 10 mm in the front spacers made it look a million times better. I'm planning on getting some too for my stock wheels soonish, I just want the wheel to be flush with the fender. None of that huge spacer, sticking out the side crap
PwrRngr

Joined: Jul 19 2007
Posts: 4407


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:22 pm

hyewarrior wrote:
Hmmm spending upwards of $4,000 to get 'properly' fitted wheels or spend $200 to get the same look on already wide wheels? Reason I say this is because my brother's car already comes with super wide wheels, but adding 15mm in the rear and 10 mm in the front spacers made it look a million times better. I'm planning on getting some too for my stock wheels soonish, I just want the wheel to be flush with the fender. None of that huge spacer, sticking out the side crap

Exactly, cheap and ghetto. Please tell me which expensive cars come w/ wheel spacers stock like you claim.

I never liked ghetto/half assed on my car. If you're going to do it, to it the right way.
Tat2Dragons

Joined: Jan 21 2007
Posts: 3404
Location: Baltimore Maryland


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:37 pm

PwrRngr wrote:
hyewarrior wrote:
Hmmm spending upwards of $4,000 to get 'properly' fitted wheels or spend $200 to get the same look on already wide wheels? Reason I say this is because my brother's car already comes with super wide wheels, but adding 15mm in the rear and 10 mm in the front spacers made it look a million times better. I'm planning on getting some too for my stock wheels soonish, I just want the wheel to be flush with the fender. None of that huge spacer, sticking out the side crap

Exactly, cheap and ghetto. Please tell me which expensive cars come w/ wheel spacers stock like you claim.


I don't think he was claiming that his brothers car came stock with wheel spacers,but by adding them he thought it made the car look better.icon_wink.gif
hyewarrior

Joined: Jul 19 2008
Posts: 1480
Location: 30 minutes from Los Angeles


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:40 pm

Tat2Dragons wrote:
PwrRngr wrote:
hyewarrior wrote:
Hmmm spending upwards of $4,000 to get 'properly' fitted wheels or spend $200 to get the same look on already wide wheels? Reason I say this is because my brother's car already comes with super wide wheels, but adding 15mm in the rear and 10 mm in the front spacers made it look a million times better. I'm planning on getting some too for my stock wheels soonish, I just want the wheel to be flush with the fender. None of that huge spacer, sticking out the side crap

Exactly, cheap and ghetto. Please tell me which expensive cars come w/ wheel spacers stock like you claim.


I don't think he was claiming that his brothers car came stock with wheel spacers,but by adding them he thought it made the car look better.icon_wink.gif


Exactly what I meant. I know a ton of guys that put spacers on STI's, Evos, A4's, etc.. I don't have any pics yet, but my brother put spacers on his 911 and M3, they look much better with em.

And yes, for a college student like myself, spending $200 on spacers seems like a much better idea than spending thousands on wheels just to say I have proper fitment lol...
neox

Joined: Mar 15 2006
Posts: 66
Location: Dayton, OH


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Lol, on every forum I post there's gotta be SOMEONE that starts the spacer debate.

Like hyewarrior said, if I had the money I would have bought a $4000 set of 20s but I'm in college and just happened to stumble upon a set of affordable wheels that have a better offset than stock, and some thick beefy tires which is exactly what I was looking for.

The spacers I have are hubcentric (to eliminate any possible wobble at high speeds), have their own set of studs (so i'm not putting any extra stress on the factory studs), and are on my rear wheels which don't do any turning.

PwrRngr, There's no difference between a 20mm spacer being bolted on there vs. an extra 20mm worth of wheel bolted up as far as the hub is concerned so I ask.. where is all this extra stress that you speak of? The only disadvantage to me is now I have 2 sets of lugs on my rear wheels which isn't a problem because I own a torque wrench and know how to properly torque my wheels. icon_wink.gif

BTW I got around to buying a new digicam so I took real pics instead of the crappy cellphone pics. Centercaps have been painted black, these pics were taken prior to so I PS'd it. I also ordered a front lip which will be painted and installed next week.
PwrRngr

Joined: Jul 19 2007
Posts: 4407


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:53 am

neox wrote:
so I ask.. where is all this extra stress that you speak of?

It's SIMPLE physics. You're moving the center of the wheel further out (properly sized tired don't do this). The further away from the studs you move it, the more torque you put on the studs. Go have someone who's taken freshman level physics draw you a freebody diagram to show you.
mntndewboy69

Joined: Oct 23 2008
Posts: 966
Location: Camp Hill, PA


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:42 am

I liked the look of the old wheels much better than the look of the new wheels.

But I like the offset of the news wheels better than the offset of the old wheels.

Anyways, great looking car. icon_biggrin.gif
neox

Joined: Mar 15 2006
Posts: 66
Location: Dayton, OH


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:09 am

PwrRngr wrote:
neox wrote:
so I ask.. where is all this extra stress that you speak of?

It's SIMPLE physics. You're moving the center of the wheel further out (properly sized tired don't do this). The further away from the studs you move it, the more torque you put on the studs. Go have someone who's taken freshman level physics draw you a freebody diagram to show you.


There's still no difference between having 20mm of metal bolted between there and an extra 20mm of wheel in there. When my studs break and my wheels fall off you'll be the first to receive an apology.
robbie

Joined: Apr 23 2006
Posts: 5754


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:28 am

PwrRngr wrote:
hyewarrior wrote:
Hmmm spending upwards of $4,000 to get 'properly' fitted wheels or spend $200 to get the same look on already wide wheels? Reason I say this is because my brother's car already comes with super wide wheels, but adding 15mm in the rear and 10 mm in the front spacers made it look a million times better. I'm planning on getting some too for my stock wheels soonish, I just want the wheel to be flush with the fender. None of that huge spacer, sticking out the side crap

Exactly, cheap and ghetto. Please tell me which expensive cars come w/ wheel spacers stock like you claim.

I never liked ghetto/half assed on my car. If you're going to do it, to it the right way.


Sometimes the ONLY way to get certain choices of wheels people want on their cars is to go with a wheel spacer. Guess you are saying H&R which makes high quality suspension parts, makes cheap wheel spacers, icon_rolleyes.gif

Have a look at the VW boards, ALOT of guys love to stick the biggest nastiest wheels they can scrounge up on their cars, and the ONLY way to get a C5 corvette wheel under those cars is to go into the realm of spacers.

Alot of people like them, and a ton of people use them to accomodate, bigger brakes, wider wheel choices, a slightly wider stance, or even just helping to improve the offset on their cars.

icon_biggrin.gif

BTW simple physics also says car's aren't built to drive sideways, however, they do that don't they?
PwrRngr

Joined: Jul 19 2007
Posts: 4407


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:04 am

robbie wrote:
Have a look at the VW boards, ALOT of guys love to stick the biggest nastiest wheels they can scrounge up on their cars, and the ONLY way to get a C5 corvette wheel under those cars is to go into the realm of spacers.

Alot of people like them, and a ton of people use them to accomodate, bigger brakes, wider wheel choices, a slightly wider stance, or even just helping to improve the offset on their cars.

icon_biggrin.gif

BTW simple physics also says car's aren't built to drive sideways, however, they do that don't they?

I've seen a lot of VW w/ the wheels that do NOT fit on the tire. I don't remember what it's called but the sidewall is not vertical like it should be to maximize performance. I don't think you should be using a car group that intentionally **** up their tires/wheels to prove a point.

Physics doesn't say how a car is built to be driven. Physics is how things work. Learn the difference between physics and conventional thought. icon_rolleyes.gif
hyewarrior

Joined: Jul 19 2008
Posts: 1480
Location: 30 minutes from Los Angeles


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:47 pm

PwrRngr wrote:
robbie wrote:
Have a look at the VW boards, ALOT of guys love to stick the biggest nastiest wheels they can scrounge up on their cars, and the ONLY way to get a C5 corvette wheel under those cars is to go into the realm of spacers.

Alot of people like them, and a ton of people use them to accomodate, bigger brakes, wider wheel choices, a slightly wider stance, or even just helping to improve the offset on their cars.

icon_biggrin.gif

BTW simple physics also says car's aren't built to drive sideways, however, they do that don't they?

I've seen a lot of VW w/ the wheels that do NOT fit on the tire. I don't remember what it's called but the sidewall is not vertical like it should be to maximize performance. I don't think you should be using a car group that intentionally **** up their tires/wheels to prove a point.


It's called Poke and Stretch... It's an old school look of the first gen Dubs. NO ONE daily drives their car with that fitment, it's simply for looks
clutch1

Joined: Oct 08 2006
Posts: 1928
Location: around hurr.


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:06 pm

Some people drive them daily, punk kids who wanna look rad.

I'm not knocking it by any means, though, I think it's cool. Just don't know if I'd trust it.
A-Ray

Joined: May 01 2005
Posts: 4062
Location: Volunteer State


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:21 pm

robbie wrote:
BTW simple physics also says car's aren't built to drive sideways, however, they do that don't they?


As pwrrngr siad, physics tells you how things work, not how a car is built.

On a side note, cars don't drive sideways, they "slide." If a car is driving sideways, something is f'ed up.
orangesuburban

Joined: Oct 21 2007
Posts: 561
Location: Clearwater, Fl


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:47 pm

hyewarrior wrote:
PwrRngr wrote:
robbie wrote:
Have a look at the VW boards, ALOT of guys love to stick the biggest nastiest wheels they can scrounge up on their cars, and the ONLY way to get a C5 corvette wheel under those cars is to go into the realm of spacers.

Alot of people like them, and a ton of people use them to accomodate, bigger brakes, wider wheel choices, a slightly wider stance, or even just helping to improve the offset on their cars.

icon_biggrin.gif

BTW simple physics also says car's aren't built to drive sideways, however, they do that don't they?

I've seen a lot of VW w/ the wheels that do NOT fit on the tire. I don't remember what it's called but the sidewall is not vertical like it should be to maximize performance. I don't think you should be using a car group that intentionally **** up their tires/wheels to prove a point.


It's called Poke and Stretch... It's an old school look of the first gen Dubs. NO ONE daily drives their car with that fitment, it's simply for looks


lol at what i started! but i know plenty of people that drive with some pretty nasty stretches daily and some insane camber. im not saying spacers dont serve purpose (brake clearence n such) but if you have to go over 10mm then you need to get diff wheels.

if you are only spacing to get proper fitment then you shouldnt be spacing... proper fitment doesnt come from spacers, it comes from proper wheels.

but hey i roll on steelies with spikes that are hella sunk. so, what do i know. :shrug:
Tdawgthegreatest

Joined: Jul 22 2007
Posts: 5093
Location: Florence, Oregon


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:33 pm

A-Ray wrote:
robbie wrote:
BTW simple physics also says car's aren't built to drive sideways, however, they do that don't they?


As pwrrngr siad, physics tells you how things work, not how a car is built.

On a side note, cars don't drive sideways, they "slide." If a car is driving sideways, something is f'ed up.


Thats called Crabwalk icon_biggrin.gif
Yay for bent frames and/or loose axles.
Carl

Joined: Apr 04 2005
Posts: 29
Location: Dover OHIO


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:10 pm

15 offset front and 20 rear are a great fit on a Z, but not at the price you got your wheels and tires.
02BlueStang

Joined: Dec 13 2004
Posts: 4757


Are you sure you want to delete this post?
  
Post Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:48 pm

neox wrote:
PwrRngr wrote:
neox wrote:
so I ask.. where is all this extra stress that you speak of?

It's SIMPLE physics. You're moving the center of the wheel further out (properly sized tired don't do this). The further away from the studs you move it, the more torque you put on the studs. Go have someone who's taken freshman level physics draw you a freebody diagram to show you.


There's still no difference between having 20mm of metal bolted between there and an extra 20mm of wheel in there. When my studs break and my wheels fall off you'll be the first to receive an apology.


Ill have to see if I can digg up the pictures of my friend's stang that had that happen on the freeway. The stress on the lugs from the spacer after 6-8 months finally sheered them off....his wheel kept going down the freeway and he grinded down a good 3/4 of his rotor icon_wink.gif

As long as the spacer is not too big you will be ok....keep checking your lugs though to see if they start to come loose. I will never use spacers and would simply buy a wheel with the correct offset and spacing to fit the car.

nice upgrade and looks good. The rear wheel looks weird to me though...I think its the lip of the wheel that is bugging me
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 6:25 am
Page 1 of 1