Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

"Fade Out" lighting effect

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:59 pm

Hey guys, im new here and i have a question... i just finished installing both my LED underbody lights and my LED footwell lights (both sets purchased from here and both sets are AMAZING) and im just wondering, is there any way i can give both sets of lights a "fade out" effect instead of just a hard OFF? I have a fairly good grasp of electronics and electrical theory (Ive been an electrician for 5 years thus far), but i have NEVER really been very good at developing my own electronic circuits from scratch. Is there a way, perhaps, that i can incorporate a capacitor(s) into the circuits so that when power is disconnected the capacitor begins to discharge, thereby giving a "fading out" effect? i could use a hand with this . icon_confused.gif
homer

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:11 pm

***EDIT*** (edit button is not working...)

Hey guys, im new here and i have a question... i just finished installing both my LED underbody lights and my LED footwell lights (both sets purchased from here and both sets are AMAZING) and im just wondering, is there any way i can give both sets of lights a "fade out" effect instead of just a hard OFF? I have a fairly good grasp of electronics and electrical theory (Ive been an electrician for 5 years thus far), but i have NEVER really been very good at developing my own electronic circuits from scratch. Is there a way, perhaps, that i can incorporate a capacitor charge/discharge circuit into the lighting circuit so that when power is disconnected the capacitor begins to discharge, thereby giving a "fading out" effect? i could use a hand with this . icon_confused.gif
Cooper

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:58 pm

I also suck at making circuits, but I can tell you that adding a capacitor for a fade out is highly do-able .
It may be a challenge to integrate it with your lighting controller though, unless you just have a simple on/off switch for your lights .

Hopefully someone smart chimes in here . icon_redface.gif
homer

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:23 pm

i dont have a lighting controller, i simply have my lights controlled via a couple on/off switches and a couple of relays that are integrated into my alarm system and interior dome light wiring. im vaguely beginning to remember my electrical course dealing with capacitor charge/discharge cycles. i think im going to have to hit the books again icon_cry.gif .
bad venge

Post Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:58 am

It's far easier to find a car in the junkyard that has the fading dome lights and grab the circuit and wire that in. I sourced one out of a Lexus and some digging I found how it was controled 12 volts in , ground , and door switch in , used a relay to simulate door switch and tied output to my lights . It was a relay like device in the passenger footwell. It was free at the junkyard (I asked) and he said N/C
Radioflyer

Post Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:25 pm

Radioshack has axial lead capacitors. The 2200 and 4700 micro Farad capacitors will both do a fade out at different rates (they will also do a fade in)
The time now is Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:53 am
Page 1 of 1