Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged.. possibly 2007, should I buy?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:14 pm

Been researchin new cars for a while. Want something around or less than $10k, that gets good gas mileage (thus probably an I4) but is also fast (less than 6 seconds on the 0 to 60). I generally judge speed based on the eclipse gsx 1999... the car I used to be in love with before I learned of its numerous tranny/steering problems (plus it's just too small). Anyone know anything about cobalt SS supercharged? I know the regular cobalts are sub-par but the SS is supposedly top notch. Anyone have any advice to give? I don't know anyone that owns one xD And if the SS is a meh car, any other suggestions?

Dont say honda civic. icon_biggrin.gif Too common out here.
stasis-

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:48 am

What do you currently drive? Where is the majority of your driving gonna be?

Used cars that price range will have a fair amount of miles, and force-induced engines are more likely too have been beaten up/abused (harder to find in prestine condition) so expect more maintenance earlier on.

Anyways, you can check out cobalts, turbo scions, a wrx if you're lucky, 90's eclipses...there's also v8 camaro/trans ams and mustangs to be had at that price, which may be more reliable

Price, Speed, Reliability. Pick two out of that list, and expect to lack the third in most cases. You are looking at price and speed, so that is leaving out an important thing
PwrRngr

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:07 am

If you're going to get a Cobalt SS, skip the supercharged ones and get the turbo. Hands down MUCH better than the supercharged version. I wouldn't buy a Cobalt, but the turbo is better than the SC version.

For $10k you can go out and find a LS1 Camaro w/ ~80k miles. That will make the Cobalt SS look slow. Plus, some bolt-ons, H/C/I, and you're set. Plus it's RWD instead of FWD.
banned from SG

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:05 pm

It's FWD and it'd painfully ugly. Thats about all I know about it
Derke

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:00 pm

A major variable for me is gas mileage.. which is why I wanna stick with I4/turbo or I4/SC. 20/30 mpg will be good because I need a car that can cover good distances and Im tired of sinking money into gas (I currently drive a jeep grand cherokee laredo 1998 and have had nothing but problems. Problems problems problems. But Ive lived through em and learned quite a bit). Sinking money into gas feels like being penalized for driving too fast or too far and I hate that.

As for being beaten up, I can find one with just one original owner to minimize chances of reliability problems (I don't buy from kids for obvious reasons) but I understand maintenance is going to be an unavoidable issue.

I think they're good looking myself.. I'm a tall skinny guy and Id look odd in an eclipse. Everyone tells me I'd look good in a jetta or a cobalt (No thanks on the jetta). Im no car expert but I plan to take some classes and for things that require welding etc I can drop money into a reliable mechanic. Bottom line though, at 6'2" I need a car with enough room and the eclipse is cramped while the cobalt is not (I don't give a whit about back seats because I'm going to put a small, tasteful sub back there as an excuse to NEVER ferry people around).

Why is the turbo better than the SC? I know the turbos a tad faster but the SC has a certain sound to it that sets it apart.
stasis-

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:10 pm

the turbo has more potential, and the SC versions are less efficient/have a more parasitic power loss

You're still looking at buying a car with 80-90k miles on it for that price range though.
Derke

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:13 pm

I'm fine with that. That's what I'll be looking at regardless.. money isn't a variable I can change, sadly. And if the SCs get 5.9 and turbos get 5.5 in the 0 to 60.. I'm fine with the SC since the price difference is astronomical (difference between getting a 2006 and a 2009). Gotta work with what I got eh? Still gonna be faster than pretty much anything except muscle cars here in the valley :D

I need to look up the mechanical difference between SC and turbo. I always thought it was just the location of the forced induction. I'll have to do some reading!
stasis-

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:18 pm

it was around low 6s when it first dropped, and with wear&tear on parts, it may be higher now
Derke

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:29 pm

Well turbos only come on 08+ right? D: I don't have the knowledge for an aftermarket turbo and it'd be eons before I had the cash to get one dropped in professionally.. I'd just get a new car by then.

And also, what about I hear the interior is low quality? But then other sources tell me its just regular trim models, the SS has a good interior itself?

And any known reliability issues? (Like the eclipse's tranny or the RSX's type s 6 speed fail)
stasis-

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:42 pm

I don't know much about them that well, I haven't owned one.
PwrRngr

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:59 pm

Derke wrote:
Well turbos only come on 08+ right? D: I don't have the knowledge for an aftermarket turbo and it'd be eons before I had the cash to get one dropped in professionally.. I'd just get a new car by then.

And also, what about I hear the interior is low quality? But then other sources tell me its just regular trim models, the SS has a good interior itself?

And any known reliability issues? (Like the eclipse's tranny or the RSX's type s 6 speed fail)

The interior is nothing special. It's going to creak and rattle just like every Cobalt does. Ultimately it's a hopped up engine put into a CHEAP car.

The difference between the SC version and TC versions are substantial in my mind. The response of saying a Turbo is more efficient and has less parasitic loss is stupid and pointless. Look at top fuel drag cars, they run superchargers and NOT tubros. But, it's easy to make power out of either model. You'll grenade the bottom end of the engine prior maxing out either the turbo or supercharger.

The TC model has a slightly better bottom end that can hold more power. I've heard that the tranny is built better as well.

The big reason I say the TC is better than the SC is because of gas mileage. A supercharger is run from the crank via a belt. While the engine is running, it's producing boost no matter what. While under normal driving a turbo won't produce boost. No boost means less air which means less gas. So while you're driving normally w/ the TC, it won't be running boost and saving gas.

But I wouldn't really consider either of the Cobalt SS fast. They are quick, but nothing special for the price. The TC model will run about even w/ a 99-04 Mustang GT and those are the slowest GT built. Spend the same amount of money on a LS1 T/A or Camaro if you want to go fast (they get surprisingly good gas mileage).
Phat99celi

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 pm

buy the S/C SS and then add a turbo

win win full of win
stasis-

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:19 pm

Are you seriously comparing a supercharger set up in a 140 hp engine to a supercharger on a super car? I stopped reading after that. Good luck on finding a new car though, your best bet is to go and test drive everything available at your price range
Derke

Post Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:56 pm

****.. I really like how the cobalt looks. How is it a cheap car? Can I get examples/stories/sources? Or is it opinion? That makes me sad. I don't wanna believe you, to be honest. But I shall nonetheless go look into the cars you suggested.

And gas mileage is taken into affect here. I don't need the absolute fastest thing around, of course. And again, the TC is only available on the newer models so I must know, how much of a difference in fuel economy are we talking here? And the cobalt is a respectable tuner car from what Ive heard so I doubt it sucks complete balls. What are its pros?

EDIT: You were right about camaro's fuel economy, although none are for sale in the Los Angeles area. They seem rare and I don't feel like a muscle car kind of guy. And I did some more research with car reviewers etc. and they said that yes the inside of the cobalt is cheap plastic and uncomfy seats that are easily beat by a masda 3 or a civic.. UNLESS you get the ss model. The SS has leather seats with much improved comfort, faux aluminum interior accents and other goodies. Everything holds to my previous assumption that as long as you get an SS yer golden. And finally, the SS S/C seems to get 28 highway while the turbo gets 31. You are right again, but the difference doesn't justify the price overall icon_razz.gif At least not for my broke ass.
PwrRngr

Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:59 am

No, I'm not directly comparing a drag car supercharger to the Cobalt supercharger. But you made the stupid GENERIC statement that the turbo has more potential and a SC is less efficient. Both are irrelivent if you actually know anything about the cars. Since you stopped reading I'll repeat the important part, you'll grenade the bottom end of the engine before you max out either the SC or TC.

Derke wrote:
****.. I really like how the cobalt looks. How is it a cheap car? Can I get examples/stories/sources? Or is it opinion? That makes me sad. I don't wanna believe you, to be honest. But I shall nonetheless go look into the cars you suggested.

When I say cheap I don't mean it's going to break (they are fairly reliable cars). Once some miles get on the car nearly everything in the interior is going to squeek and rattle. That's what I mean by cheap. I have a buddy that has a SC model and is rattles all the time and has wind noise while going down the highway.

Derke wrote:
And gas mileage is taken into affect here. I don't need the absolute fastest thing around, of course. And again, the TC is only available on the newer models so I must know, how much of a difference in fuel economy are we talking here? And the cobalt is a respectable tuner car from what Ive heard so I doubt it sucks complete balls. What are its pros?

No, I'm not saying it sucks complete balls. Yes, the TC model started in 2008. The fuel economy difference between the SC and TC models is a few mpg's. How much that matters depends on how much you drive, gas prices, and cost difference between the two.

All I'm trying to say is that the TC is better than the SC version. But it does come at an additional cost. You have to determine if that cost is worth the additional performance.
Derke

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:26 pm

Hrm. I get mixed reviews from cobalt SC owners on ride noise, some saying its annoying and others saying its quiet as a mouse (only the SS versions though). I think Ill stick cobalt.. Id go g6 but pontiac is out o business. And I like the look o the car + the sound of the SC. Ill just have to test drive an 06 or 07 and hear it myself icon_smile.gif
stasis-

Post Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:17 pm

so any updates on a new car yet?
Derke

Post Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:23 pm

Neg, not really. Doing more research and talking to a friend who actually owns a cobalt convinced me to stick s/c ss. I'll have to test drive one for myself though.. I dunno what car I'll go for if I can't get a cobalt though icon_razz.gif Maybe an audi a4 but older and then add a turbo later.
robinbolt

Post Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:54 am

Derke wrote:
Neg, not really. Doing more research and talking to a friend who actually owns a cobalt convinced me to stick s/c ss. I'll have to test drive one for myself though.. I dunno what car I'll go for if I can't get a cobalt though icon_razz.gif Maybe an audi a4 but older and then add a turbo later.

i love audi a4...its my favorite it will be better if u get that i think icon_smile.gif
Derke

Post Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:03 pm

[/quote]
i love audi a4...its my favorite it will be better if u get that i think icon_smile.gif[/quote]

But so expensive to insure and I <3 speed so itd have to have some stuff in it. ;-; I do like audis though.. and those new lexus are sexy but luxury cars are above my pay grade.

I looked at the dodge neon srt4 which looked ridiculous but i hear sketchy reviews on it.. plus its pricey. anything above 15k (or even at 15k) is too much. If I had 20k or more to spare id hunt down an evo.
Ryan88

Post Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:02 pm

Just buy a street bike. it will have/do everything your looking for for under 15k
Derke

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:46 pm

Ahh but bikes make die. I'd get too much flak from girlfriend/girlfriends parents/my parents etc.

The dealers on these s/c's dont wanna drop em far from 12k$ out here in cali, theres only like 4 or 5 available in all of southern California so I'm limited.. being how I don't want to get screwed by a dealer nor accept a lesser trim, I'm kinda eyeing the v6 accords 2004 as a backup choice. Their mileage is very decent for a v6, much better than on my jeep. Not too much worse than the cobalt. Plus, you don't need to buy the most expensive, rare trim to get a fast and good quality car.

I still like the cobalt more though so still gonna try.. just not gonna get it if it means gettin a terrible deal.
PwrRngr

Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:24 am

Derke wrote:
Ahh but bikes make die. I'd get too much flak from girlfriend/girlfriends parents/my parents etc.

The dealers on these s/c's dont wanna drop em far from 12k$ out here in cali, theres only like 4 or 5 available in all of southern California so I'm limited.. being how I don't want to get screwed by a dealer nor accept a lesser trim, I'm kinda eyeing the v6 accords 2004 as a backup choice. Their mileage is very decent for a v6, much better than on my jeep. Not too much worse than the cobalt. Plus, you don't need to buy the most expensive, rare trim to get a fast and good quality car.

I still like the cobalt more though so still gonna try.. just not gonna get it if it means gettin a terrible deal.

For less than $12 you could get a faster LS1 Camaro. Any particular reason you're stuck on the "tuners"?
Derke

Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:46 am

Mostly gas mileage. And Im not sure I like camaros in particular. But I like the sporty look, I must say.
Derke

Post Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:33 pm

Went in to a chevy dealer today, no SS's, but the new LT's looked a lot nicer than the reviews say. I'm sticking to mu guns though, havin' em look for an SS. I can settle for a plain SS and put a super in it once its paid off, or even a turbo; but don't wanna settle for less than an SS after everything I've heard (poor parts, thrown together etc). So hopefully they call me, and I go look at an s/c on Sunday (the.. only one in the area. Haha.)
Derke

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:24 pm

Ok so it was sold, I wasnt able to test drive it. Theres only a yellow and orange in my area.. no thank you. I'm starting to look at the scion tC, my buddy says theyre **** but I think they look nice and I dont think toyota makes **** cars.. think he just doesnt like it cause its slow. Or a v6 honda accord?
stasis-

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:25 pm

I enjoy my scion tc..I'll enjoy it more when I void my warranty with a turbo though
corvettecrazy

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:29 pm

stasis- wrote:
I enjoy my scion tc..I'll enjoy it more when I void my warranty with a turbo though

Having rode in a turbo Tc that burned all of first, second and chirped third....yeah you will.
stasis-

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:41 pm

Descendant Racing dropped a kit running 333 WHP on a stock install. The only issues they have so far is the clutch not making it through 3 dyno runs icon_cool.gif
Derke

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:38 am

Theres a 06 s/c thats only 7.5k$.. the reason it is so cheap is it's 112k miles, and its yellow exterior. Should I go for it? It's mechanically sound and I'll prolly have a mechanic look it over but.. can't beat that price.
stasis-

Post Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:33 pm

You shouldnt buy a car based on the opinions of us icon_cool.gif
banned from SG

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:27 pm

I'd take the tC over the Cobalt/SRT4/Saturn Ion Redline/Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky
You might be able to snag a decent 350z for your price range.
How about a mazdaspeed protege? WRX?

Please don't be so delusional by saying "I don't buy from kids for obvious reasons". "Adults" and even old people have the potential to drive just as aggressively and rag on cars just as much as a kid.
hoover12

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:37 am

You have 10k to spend, I would say the cobalt s/c is a pretty good choice, the motors are built strong. I have an 04 Ion Redline with the exact same tranny and motor and I love the performance and there is a legit amount of aftermarket for the cobalt. I paid $8600 for my Redline with 64k miles and it was an awesome deal considering it was from a dealer who put new tires, oil change and fresh inspection. I definitely like my suicide doors on the redline vs the typical coupe but thats matter of my opinion. I would say get a Redline, its a saturn and I cant tell you how many times a Honda civic with an exhaust pulled up next to me and I smoked him, all in good fun though. The Cobalt will be easier to find but slightly more expensive than the redline. Love the center guage pod at night.
Derke

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:42 pm

hoover12 wrote:
You have 10k to spend, I would say the cobalt s/c is a pretty good choice, the motors are built strong. I have an 04 Ion Redline with the exact same tranny and motor and I love the performance and there is a legit amount of aftermarket for the cobalt. I paid $8600 for my Redline with 64k miles and it was an awesome deal considering it was from a dealer who put new tires, oil change and fresh inspection. I definitely like my suicide doors on the redline vs the typical coupe but thats matter of my opinion. I would say get a Redline, its a saturn and I cant tell you how many times a Honda civic with an exhaust pulled up next to me and I smoked him, all in good fun though. The Cobalt will be easier to find but slightly more expensive than the redline. Love the center guage pod at night.

Ive seen some sexy redlines. And by the sig you can prolly see how my decision went.. Found a SS/NA in perfect condition since it was owned by the dealership's owner's family (my grandad knew em etc). So I'm just gonna work up from bolt ons and possibly work in a turbo when the 3 year warranty goes away. But for now just makin it look cool icon_cool.gif Thank you everyone for your advice!
02BlueStang

Post Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:24 pm

I'll throw mustang out there for ya to consider....2003-2004 GT's are fairly cheap and gas mileage can be had in the 25 MPG range if you keep your foot out of it. And there is plenty of modding to be had icon_cool.gif
The time now is Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:51 am
Page 1 of 1