Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Tail lamp wire diagrams?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi, I'm new here and first want to say this site is amazing. A lot of good info here and has help cleared a lot of questions I have. Now, the question that I cannot seem to find is i want to make custom LED for my tail/brake lamp. I have the design and how I may want to mount the LEDs, but my problem is once I get it all wired up. How are you guys hook the lights up? From searching around I have concluded and wanted to get a second opinion to see if it's a good idea. I want to get the empty base sockets and tamp my positive and negative to the empty sockets, from there the panel becomes a plug and play into the factory harness.

to clarify, i was planning to buy these empty base sockets from here.

once i run my LEDs on the PCB, run the positive to the positive of the base sockets and negative to negative and possibly solder it and use a hot glue gun to seal the connections onto the sockets? this way i can run it with the factory harness.

Does this sound right?my second question is I am planning to run the superflux LED parallel with resistors. Would I still need to run a fuse between the positive befor i seal the connections? or can i sufice with the resistors? would i still need a load resistor kits or would that just be necessary for LED turn signals so it does not make a hyper flash signal? any help is appreciated thanks everyone!.
bad venge

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:29 pm

You don't state what bulbs ...
you will need running lights AND brake lights at minimum so you will need two brightness levels
lower for the running and brighter for the brakes so you will need to switch between the two
so there should be three wires from the bulb socket

you'll need the resistors or a dimmer to have the lower brightness level
pcheng

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:14 pm

oh oops sorry, i was planning to run the superflux LED's in a parallel form. So if i was to get the empty base sockets and run my postive and negative to those sockets and plug it into my factory sockets will it still give off the dim and brightness when i apply brakes? the sockets are the dual filaments believe it's the ba195 that's on the website. so how can i run 3 wires from the lcd board to the empty base socket? any diagram i can possibly find? i'm stumped i can't really find a definate answer on the forum...

i'm planning to run resistors to each LED would i still need the load resistor as well? or are those normally for turn signals to terminate the hyper flash it gives off?
pcheng

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:33 pm

bad venge wrote:
You don't state what bulbs ...
you will need running lights AND brake lights at minimum so you will need two brightness levels
lower for the running and brighter for the brakes so you will need to switch between the two
so there should be three wires from the bulb socket

you'll need the resistors or a dimmer to have the lower brightness level

idealy this is the empty base socket i want to get
User posted image

it has a dual filament and it displays a running light connection and brake/tail connection at the base connection. I want to basically make some like this

I
I
V

User posted image

i want to do something exactly like this but design my own LED layout because of the shape of my tail lamp. So do you guys think i'm heading in the right direction? seems logical and it'll work but i want a second opinion.
pcheng

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:42 pm

also anyone know of a good diagram on how to hook up the superflux as they have 4 prongs? how can you tell which two are negtaive and which two are positive, especially since i'm planning to run parallel.
bad venge

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:03 am

As mentioned you will need to :
Chose one of the following
1) run a small voltage regulator to dim them as running lights (then bypass it for brakes)
2) run a dimmer (then bypass it for brakes)
3) Use resistors to reduce voltage/brightness (then bypass it for brakes)
4) Lay out a number of LED's for running then double the number for brakes (two circuits)

Also you need TURNs in the rear do you have seperate bulbs for that or does it run of these bulbs?
pcheng

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:13 pm

bad venge wrote:
As mentioned you will need to :
Chose one of the following
1) run a small voltage regulator to dim them as running lights (then bypass it for brakes)
2) run a dimmer (then bypass it for brakes)
3) Use resistors to reduce voltage/brightness (then bypass it for brakes)
4) Lay out a number of LED's for running then double the number for brakes (two circuits)

Also you need TURNs in the rear do you have seperate bulbs for that or does it run of these bulbs?

ooh ok..i know what you mean now. the turn signal will be it's own bulbs. thank you venge, can't wait to start on it!!.
pcheng

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:42 pm

hey venge the turn will be of a separate bulb. I read u said that there is going to be a 3rd postive wire? how will i be able to do the 3rd wire? is there a diagram floating around that i can't find?
pcheng

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:44 pm

User posted image

is this what you mean venge?
bad venge

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:03 am

You'd need the resistor or way of dimming to the TAIL running light not the brake

The second one lower is two circuits you can either wire less LED's to the running and double the LED's for the brake or use the resistor or dimmer
pcheng

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:56 am

bad venge wrote:
You'd need the resistor or way of dimming to the TAIL running light not the brake

The second one lower is two circuits you can either wire less LED's to the running and double the LED's for the brake or use the resistor or dimmer

so the second one lower diagram should be right? i just have to hook up less LED's running from the running light? and put a resistor, like the picture on the brake and it should have more LED's hooked up to that circuit? hope i got it right... sorry i'm still a newbie icon_smile.gif
pcheng

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:53 am

so to conclude is the only difference is that one of them which is going to be the TAIL is going to have a resistor on it to dim it out. the brake will not have a resistor correct? so i am going to still put a resistor on the TAIL circuit and Ground circuit? so the diagram is reversed?
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:51 am
Page 1 of 1