Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Revisiting auto lighting & Oznium :)

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:46 am

Hey everyone .

I've been inactive here on the forums and with automotive lighting generally for the past year or so . I went back to school in (last) January to pursue a career in architectural lighting . Between work and class there's been very little time to pursue other interests . It's a shame since doing my own little lighting projects was what gave me the interest to get back to school, and I intend to correct this in 2012 by keeping my own projects going and not getting too drained by classwork . icon_biggrin.gif

So in that spirit, I've decided to light my new car . My old '99 Miata whose wheel is still my user image was totaled when a fella in an Altima drove into it while it was parked on the street earlier in 2011 . With some good fortune and a generous price from the insurance company I was able to replace it with a 2005 Mazdaspeed MX-5 . Not extremely practical for hauling around portfolios and big projects, but tons of fun to drive; I love it . icon_biggrin.gif

Most of the lighting that will go onto the car was recovered from the '99 before it was scrapped . A few pieces I had in the garage, and there were a few things needed from Oznium to round out the list of needed parts. icon_biggrin.gif It's going to be a simple two-color LED setup . I would love to do a more complex RGB system but the investment in time & money that would require is impractical right now .

As I'm able to sneak out to the garage and get some things accomplished, I'll post my progress . Here's a quick snap from this morning.. looks ready for work !

User posted image

User posted image

Playing around with LEDs, trying to figure out the best placement . Will be installing static bi-color, red & blue .
jmoddes

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:27 pm

This car is..

SEXY!

just sayin
Chris

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:41 pm

Nice car. My brother has the redish orange 2004 mazdaspeed miata. The car is fun to drive, but way too impractical for me.
Cooper

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:57 pm

jmoddes wrote:
This car is..

SEXY!

just sayin

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif Hopefully some lighting can make it more so .

User posted image

Battery is easy to work with on these cars, once the paneling is out of the way . Ran some wires up to the passenger side footwell . I guess everything's going in the footwell; there's a serious lack of enticing options for squirreling away electronics on this . Everything's packed so tightly as is .

User posted image

Couple of old 12" silicon-encased strips destined for the underdash . I like these, they're the sturdiest and most robust of any Oznium strips that I've used . Newer products have surpassed them in brightness, but these are still capable . Strips seem to be better for the footwells . I tried the 1W floods but as your feet/legs move in front of the single source it creates too many shadows and motion.. better to have a multi-element lamp .

User posted image

First light icon_biggrin.gif Not sufficient, needs to be brighter . Red light on black carpet really doesn't pop . A strip under the seats facing forward might be a good option to bring up the brightness and get some light on the back of the legs too, plus creates fewer shadows .
jmoddes

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:02 pm

Something I did that helped to. If you put lights under the front seat facing the front of the car to light up the ENTIRE floor.. that really helps as well.
A-Ray

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:06 pm

Red on black doesn't really pop, that's what I have. Mine are also cathodes, but that's a different story.

I have a set of cathodes (2 tube) under each seat, one towards the front of the seat and one towards the rear.
jmoddes

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:30 pm

quick question... did you do the url in [] and type cathodes, or just type cathodes that puts a link directly to the cathodes oznium sells?

EDIT:

nevermind.. found my answer

that is kinda cool!
Aken

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:14 am

Wooooooo glowwwww!!!!
Aken

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:15 am

Jordan, Phil set that up for a few keywords. ICELED, cathodes, superflux, etc...
jmoddes

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:42 am

Aken wrote:
Jordan, Phil set that up for a few keywords. ICELED, cathodes, superflux, etc...

i seen that.... hahaha Thanks aken. icon_smile.gif
Cooper

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:46 pm

I think I made a mistake using red in the footwells . Originally I wanted an all-red interior since it would be more subdued and match the stock dash illumination . Now I'm thinking there should be at least some blue as well .

User posted image

A single blue silicon strip under the seat with a single red under the dash . I kind of like where this is going . More interesting than all-red .

User posted image

Not bad . The blue is more distracting when you're driving but definitely more interesting, although ...

User posted image

Tried switching the colors . I immediately like this way better, but looking back at the pictures they both seem good . The brighter blue fills the recessed foot well better, and something about the red coming out from under the seat you're in is appealing .

If I go this way and tear the red lights out for blue lights, I'll need a side-emitting blue strip . (Or at least, it would be much easier to use a side-emitting source .) My intention with the exterior is to have blue in the front, red in the back . So having the seat/footwell lights this way might kind of reflect the same theme as the exterior, which could be nice.. or boring.. we'll have to see .

Does anyone have experience with the new "headlight" side emitting strips here that can speak to their comparative brightness with the old style flexible strips with the thick plastic body that had a flat side and were easy to side mount ?
I only got to use a headlight strip once before it went into a project, and didn't have much chance to evaluate it's performance in places like these .
jmoddes

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:54 pm

that looks really cool.... wonder what cops would say if they pulled you over.... cerwin.gif

EDIT:
the new side emitting.... i haven't had the...best luck with them.

if their on the inside, i don't see anything to go wrong...

brightness.. I don't know the old style. I know they are relatively bright for what they are, but some others would have to put their input;

Last edited by jmoddes on Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total
Tat2Dragons

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:55 pm

Nice ride Sir. I'm digging the red and blue mix. icon_cool.gif
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:36 pm
Page 1 of 1