Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Help me with my diagram. (LED Turn signal + Remote Flasher)

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi guys,

I've been trying to figure out this wiring for a couple of days but I'm always running into the same issue. Basically what I'm trying to achieve here is using my LED Halo as blinkers (and that part works fine), and also being able to use the LED dimmer/strober on that same circuit. So I'm looking at basically 2 power sources for the same lights. Never wanting both on at the same time though.

The following diagram shows how I have this wired. But it seems like I have a power leak somewhere and as soon as these connections are made, the LEDs dimly light up. When ignition key is turned on, both Halo's light up at 100% and the LED controller won't respond to my remote (dimmer won't respond with ignition in off position either, only if I remove power and ground from Halos to the bike's harness). Basically nothing works the way it's supposed to unless there is only one connection made at a time. Blinkers are working fine if Oznium controller is disconnected and vise versa. Components are in working order.

At first I thought power from the battery was leaking through the controller and back into the motorcycle harness causing both lights to stay lit. If you look at the diagram I have placed brown X's to indicate where I added 1N4004 diodes to hopefully stop any backwards power flow. Still didn't work.

Do I need a relay? I'm not familiar with relays. I would like to have this set up work without the use of ON/OFF switches, but if it's absolutely necessary. I will do so. Just need someone to point me in the right direction. I feel like I'm close to making this work.
User posted image
Aken

Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:30 pm

What do you mean by "Never wanting both on at the same time"? That might help.

As you have it set up now, whichever power source is more prominent is the one that's going to show up. For instance, if your dimmer is on low, but your turn single is activated, the turn signal will "overpower" the dimmer. If you physically want to break the connection from one when the other is activated, you'll need a relay of some sort, yes.

Also, it might help to know which Oznium dimmer you're using, as well as if your motorcycle signal wares are positively or negatively switched. That will help with a wiring diagram.
Andytoy

Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:41 pm

https://www.oznium.com/switches/12v-remote-dimmer-strobe-switch
That is what I have. It's a dimmer/strobe switch. It shouldn't have power running through it if I don't activate it, right?

By "Never wanting both on at the same time", I mean I'll never want to activate the turn signals while the controller is activated or vice versa. Yes, I guess you can say that when one connection is active I would want the other one to be deactive. Can you show me what relays I need and how to wire this?

What is really irking me is that when the ignition is off, none of these halos should have power (unless I use the remote to switch open the controller), but somehow the LEDs just stay lit, whether dim or full brightness (while ignition is on).

As far as knowing whether my signals are positively or negatively switched. I wouldn't be able to answer that as I do not know. How can I find out to help you help me?

Thank you, for your help BTW.
Aken

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:13 am

You can use a multimeter to check for which wire has continuity when the signals are off. For example, while they're off, if you hooked the positive lead of the multimeter to the positive wire for the signal, and the negative lead to your negative battery terminal, and it showed ~13v or whatever, then it's likely negative switched. And vice versa for positive (positive lead to positive battery terminal, negative lead to negative signal wire).

You can use the multimeter to verify the voltage coming through your signal wires, also. Might help you be able to source the dimly lit issue when the ignition is off. For that, you might also try unhooking the dimmer, just to see if something changes.

Wouldn't you want the turn signals to have priority when the ignition is on, though? Just seems to make the most sense to me, anyway.
bad venge

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:03 am

Likely the BEST way is to use a relay on BOTH sides use the N/C connection to power the Halos of the dimmer strobe , and then use the turnsignal power to power the relay to get them to blink the bonus would be the relay will override the dimmer strobe
Andytoy

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:22 am

Aken wrote:
Wouldn't you want the turn signals to have priority when the ignition is on, though? Just seems to make the most sense to me, anyway.

I definitely want them to have priority. But when the dimmer strobe is connected like how I have it in the diagram, my turn signals just stay on solid. Imagine my turn signals connected directly to my battery. That's how they're acting.

Ideally, what I'm looking for is for my bike's turn signals to act as signals while I'm riding. I'll only want to use the dimmer/strobe while the key is out of the ignition and I'm away from my bike. I just want to use it as a people deterrent when they get too close or try to sit on it without permission.
Andytoy

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:33 am

bad venge wrote:
Likely the BEST way is to use a relay on BOTH sides use the N/C connection to power the Halos of the dimmer strobe , and then use the turnsignal power to power the relay to get them to blink the bonus would be the relay will override the dimmer strobe

Exactly what I want. When my bike is running, I want zero power coming from my dimmer strobe to my halos.

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with some of this terminology, but what do you mean by "N/C connection". Do you mean "Normally Closed" connection on the relay?

How does this connection look on a diagram? And am I using a SPDT relay?

Last edited by Andytoy on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total
Andytoy

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:43 am

This is what I'm trying to get to but without the switches. And without the 4-way.
Same exact bike and halos that he's using btw.
bad venge

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:59 am

I need to know negative or positive switched before i can draw you a diagram
Andytoy

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:00 pm

bad venge wrote:
I need to know negative or positive switched before i can draw you a diagram

Just looked up the wiring diagram on a shop manual. The switch is located on the positive side.
Aken

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:36 pm

Sounds like you'll need to find a switched power source that is controlled by the ignition. That's what you'd want to hook up to your relay to prevent the dimmer from controlling the lights when the bike is on (wouldn't want to use the turn signal, because the turn signal will obviously not be on the entire time the bike is on).
Andytoy

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:42 pm

So I can't pull power directly from the battery? I'm only looking to use the dimmer while the bike is off.
Aken

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:47 pm

The power source for the dimmer can come from the battery, yes. We're saying you'd use a relay to cut off that power whenever the ignition is on. In which case, to control the relay, you need to tap into something that gets power when the ignition is on.

For what it's worth, if you're never going to have the dimmer going when the bike is on anyway, something similar to your original scheme should work. If you found out where your stray voltage was coming from, it should fix your problem.
Andytoy

Post Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:21 pm

Guys, I think I have this figured out. Now, I haven't put the wiring to the test, but I want your input first. I don't know much about relays but this seemed a little too easy to diagram out. Also, I'm assuming that these relays aren't directional. By that I mean that pin 30 doesnt HAVE TO BE "power from battery" and pin 87/87a doesnt HAVE TO BE power to acc. I wouldn't know what other relay would work if this diagram doesn't cut it.

Let me know what you guys think.
User posted image

Last edited by Andytoy on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total
Andytoy

Post Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:25 pm

I'm thinking about using a DPDT relay to include the ground wires coming from the halos, too.
bad venge

Post Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:08 am

diagram looks correct but you need one for each side power to coil needs to be from turn signal so they "flash"
fuse on strobe and power harness
grounds do not need to be run to them from the halos can be grounded remotely
Andytoy

Post Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Thanks for all your help guys. Looks like I've got this figured out.
The time now is Thu May 24, 2018 8:15 pm
Page 1 of 1