Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Jake Brakes?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:35 pm

Theres a big sign in my town that read "NO JAKE BRAKES"

It's on a road that all the big rigs come down off the highway and it meets a smaller road that runs between neighborhoods. A quieter area.

What are these Jake Brakes?

I know alot of people on Oz are in the car/truck repair workplace. Hoped I could get an answer. icon_cool.gif

(I just assume its something on a big truck, due to the fact I have never heard of a car using jake brakes, I could be tottally off)
StrtGlowerZm180

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:44 pm

Jake Brakes are used on big trucks like 18wheelers and fire trucks. All i know is that if a door on our fire truck is open the jake brakes engage and the truck comes to a screeching halt. (at that's what happened and that's what i was told when I asked. they coulda been totally talking out their ass though)
ProjectRAGE

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:48 pm

its a compression release, slows down the engine, mostly is large diesel engines, like they use them for steep downgrades and whatnot..you never heard one go off? its loud...could wake you up at night for sure, but i dont know why certain towns have posted no jake brakes, maybe cause its to loud for the area or maybe not by communites..hope that helps a lil
Phil
Owner, Oznium.com

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:49 pm

Same thing as engine brakes
FatManDan

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:56 pm

ProjectRAGE wrote:
its a compression release, slows down the engine, mostly is large diesel engines, like they use them for steep downgrades and whatnot..you never heard one go off? its loud...could wake you up at night for sure, but i dont know why certain towns have posted no jake brakes, maybe cause its to loud for the area or maybe not by communites..hope that helps a lil
yup thats about right except for saying there extremely loud and would wake you up.......i tihnk your exagerating there........you never heard them before? when a semi starts slowing down u hear that WOOMp WOOMp WOOMp WOOMp WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
GlowinPontiac

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:44 pm

yeah they close up the exhaust to add backpressure to aid in compression braking. They are loud so maybe that community just doesnt like the noise icon_confused.gif
ProjectRAGE

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:04 pm

FatManDan wrote:
ProjectRAGE wrote:
yup thats about right except for saying there extremely loud and would wake you up.......i tihnk your exagerating there........you never heard them before? when a semi starts slowing down u hear that WOOMp WOOMp WOOMp WOOMp WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

nice sound effects icon_wink.gif icon_lol.gif
Moss

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:18 pm

Ahh... I did a serach using some of the terms you guys used. Compression and what not and came up with a site that told me how it worked in detail. Very interesting it also said that it would not be so loud if the trucks had good exhaust systems. They said the really loud ones are due to poor exhaust and straight pipes. I have heard that noise before. The light the sign is near is right next to a bunch of house. I would not want to be woken up. Also the company who makes these jack brakes is fighting the signs for copy right infringment or something silly like this. Thanks for the answer again. I knew a bunch of you would understand. icon_cool.gif
FatManDan

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:28 pm

ProjectRAGE wrote:
FatManDan wrote:
ProjectRAGE wrote:

nice sound effects icon_wink.gif icon_lol.gif

anytime
PhantomFE3

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:07 pm

i find they sound more like BUHDUDUDUDUDUDUDUUDUDUDUDUDUUDUDUDUDUUDUDUD (really fast, roll your tongue)

its hard to explain the sound of one but youll definitely hear it, one my friends dad has it on his huge f-350 diesel
stasis-

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:14 pm

now i wanna hear it...sound clip anyone?
GlowinPontiac

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:57 pm

no no no its BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMPH!

get it right! icon_wink.gif biglaugh.gif
FatManDan

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:27 pm

sounds diffrent on the type of exhaust
PhantomFE3

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:37 pm

GlowinPontiac wrote:
no no no its BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMPH!

get it right! icon_wink.gif biglaugh.gif

yah! thats more like it but you have to emphasize the roll of the tongue so it KINDA sounds like a rounded D, and you have to do it really loud too, and before you do that you have to make the diesel engine noise revving up and the clunk when it goes into gear

a skilled noise maker can make the BRRRRRRR sound AND make the whistle of the turbo at the same time
pOrk

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:47 pm

StrtGlowerZm180 wrote:
Jake Brakes are used on big trucks like 18wheelers and fire trucks. All i know is that if a door on our fire truck is open the jake brakes engage and the truck comes to a screeching halt. (at that's what happened and that's what i was told when I asked. they coulda been totally talking out their ass though)

ROFLMAO biglaugh.gif biglaugh.gif biglaugh.gif biglaugh.gif
GlowinPontiac

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:54 pm

yeah i was cracking up when i read that!
Optika1 illushun

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:04 pm

jake brakes fawkin pwn! bwaaamaaamaamaaamaaamaamamamamamamammamamamamamamaa... biglaugh.gif
ProjectRAGE

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:07 pm

i know its a lil off subject, but were kinda on the loud thing, any of you guys ever messed with people and air horns? lol i seen a vid somewhere on that airhorn thing..j/c sorry back to topic.. icon_lol.gif but yea i love the sound of a jake brake..sounds f'n a tight...nothing like hearing that engine show its true loudness..with help from the exhaust to of course
Optika1 illushun

Post Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:09 pm

no idea but the straight pipes on my truck get me funny looks...
Skymonkey

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:05 am

I have drove semi's for over 30 years, and a Jake break is very quite if the trucker has stock exaust, But if they have straight pipes, it can curl your hair, especially if you are driving near the semi.

What they do is slow the RPM's down on the motor, thus saving your air pressure for your foot brakes and your Glad Handle.

When your in the mountain area on the downhill side, you may have to ride the brakes a lot and that takes away your air pressure quicker than the motor can rebuild it. So as a result, sometimes you may lose all your pressure and not have any brakes.

Thats why some mountain states have what they call "Run-a-Way Lanes"
going down a mountain.

There for trucks that lose their brakes .

All they are is a straight lane that eventually turns into deep sand to enable the truck to stop slowly but safely.

And all a Jake Brake is, is a switch on the dash and when you turn it on, (at any speed), it only works when you let off the gas pedal.

And will never bring you to a screeching halt.

Only the Glad Handle can do that.
TheBrick

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:36 am

Learn something new everyday.

Thank you Sky for that explanation.
thefiredogg

Post Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:45 am

i dunno about the whole open a door it comes to a halt.....Ive never heard of that but maybe on brand new trucks.... Most fire trucks have red lights or strobes inside that go on w the door. mine dosent have any of that stuff or a jake brake. mine does have a light so that if the compartment doors open, the light goes on
The time now is Sun May 20, 2018 9:50 pm
Page 1 of 1