Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

xbox system link through router?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:35 pm

I'm heading up to UF on Friday and I've heard how awesome xbox system link games are using the dorm's network. I bought a router so I could have the xbox and computer both hooked up at the same time, but looking online I've read that people with the same setup had trouble playing system link games. Plugged into the wall it would work fine for them, but through the router it wouldn't find any games available.

So I was wondering if anyone with experience on this could give me some input. Do you think the router would work, or should I just resort to unplugging the computer when I want the xbox hooked up and vice versa? (We're actually not supposed to use routers in the first place, but I figured I could get away with it.)
cardinalsfan

Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:15 pm

ive done the same thing but it worked at my school...prolly cause i was using a wireless laptop but it still worked thru the router with no problems
2-10

Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:41 pm

If ur using xbox live you can unplug the cord from the computer, but if ur going to be using xbconnect you need to bring the router. I think you should bring the router so you still can be using the computer, like you said. It might not be finding games for the other people, because their ports on the router might not be open, but i always use my router and it always works fine.
Knox

Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:16 pm

I'm going to be using it for both Xbox Live and system link games. And just out of curiousity, what kind of router are you using?
kramer13
Oznium Employee

Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:45 pm

at my school you just plug it into the box and you have to call them and tell them that it is hooked up and they read the mac address and your good to go. System link is easier because you just plug and play. and DONT use xbconnect...its ****.
2-10

Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:17 pm

yea live is better than xbconnect but my router is a linksys
Knox

Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:04 pm

I'm not worried about connecting to Live, I'm just worried about the system link working through the router. I have one of the routers off the list on xbox.com so I guess I'm just going to find out when I get there. I was just seeing if anyone ever had a problem personally. The router is unopened at the moment so it's possible to return it and get my money back if anyone tells me of a problem.
Brandon

Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:21 pm

You may have to forward the ports from your router directly to your xbox when you try to connect. You'll want to read the manual to find out which ports your xbox will use, or there should be a setup screen in your xbox somewhere --- don't own an xbox, never been on xbox live. Depending on which router you have, there's only a few steps and it's easy to do. Also, like mentioned above, you may need to call the IT department at your school to get the router allowed, they blocked routers at my school freshmen year so that computers that may have viruses would have to be checked through their systems --- kind of a safe guard because of all the worms that were going around at the time.
kramer13
Oznium Employee

Post Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:49 pm

the system link will work through the router
Floyd

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:34 am

Or just buy a hub...

my connection go's to the Modem->Router->Hub and then splits off to my PC and my Box's
banned from SG

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:43 am

the cable seems to make a difference too. we had 3 different cables and they would only work when hooked up a specific way through the routers/boxes
Floyd

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:47 am

Ya there are crossover and straight through cables...from xbox to xbox use cross over. everything else uses straight through.
Knox

Post Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:10 pm

Floyd wrote:
Ya there are crossover and straight through cables...from xbox to xbox use cross over. everything else uses straight through.

We don't need to do box to box connections. The system link will run through the dorm's network. So I can just plug the xbox into the wall ethernet port and play system link. That's what the question is based on.

I'm debating if I should take the router back for the $60 and just unplug the computer from the net when I want to play xbox either Live or system link.
The time now is Sun May 27, 2018 10:34 am
Page 1 of 1