Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

superflux LED vs 5mm comparison (and my most recent project)

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:30 pm

Yes I happend to have both on hand and told my friend to come over and take some pictures for me.

First lets start with stats.
5mm
Red 20Ma / 8000mcd / 2.6max voltage / 30deg. Viewing angle / 628wavelength (nm)

running at 2.1 volts (used supplied resistor to reduce from 12 volts)

Superflux HPWT MD00 F4000
red 70ma / 3lumen / 70deg viewing angle / 3volt max /

running at 2.4 volts (5 LED series from 12 volts)

held same distance from wall
User posted image

held same distance from wall, as parallel to the wall as possible
User posted image

2nd 3rd brake light project...

User posted image

User posted image

yes it will be on a voltage regulator, and yes its freaking bright, and no, you can't have it. :tonqe: This is my 2nd one, because the first one I do not like the pattern of the LED's.

first superflux TL. (superflux on right, stock on left) (note: the plastic trip piece is not on either of them, so some of the stock brightness is the actual bulb, which you dont see when on the car) (note2: that is not my basement, and not my big mess)

GlowinPontiac

Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:16 pm

those look nice as hell.

where did you get them?
corvettecrazy

Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:21 pm

GlowinPontiac wrote:
those look nice as hell.

where did you get them?

http://www.lumiledsfuture.com/products/line.cfm?lineId=4

I need to get pictures of my new one. on max output its blinding icon_twisted.gif
justinwebb

Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:47 pm

yea the superflux LED's are super bright i have a varad underbody kit that uses them and its hella bright good work on those i forsee a project of mine soon icon_smile.gif
corvettecrazy

Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:38 pm

their brightness is amazing...I have a lot of projects lined up.
jethawk

Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:02 pm

yes they are very bright... i have a full taillight superflux retro planned with sequential turn signals....and they are BRIGHT... after working with them for a short period of time i was seeing blue and purple spots for a couple hours... i had to get my friend to help me with the resistor colours because i couldnt see with the blue spots... probably have some eye damage now but w/e...... PM me when you get more of your projects done!!
corvettecrazy

Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:19 pm

I have a full retro planned too. Just need to get a 2nd set of TL in good condition.
jethawk

Post Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:06 am

yea i know what you mean.... i finally found a good one on ebay about a month ago... even tho it was for only 1 tail light it was about 20$.... so i can make a model basically for the one side... and that way i have everything to size and can just use 1 of the stockers and get it done quickly...
corvettecrazy

Post Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:50 pm

I can get my TL any day of the week for 20 bucks or less at a junkyard...its just getting there and having 60 bucks since my TL are in 3 pieces.
gangaspeed

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:00 pm

where did you get that mounting board for them at?
corvettecrazy

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:37 pm

gangaspeed wrote:
where did you get that mounting board for them at?

radio ****.
GlowinPontiac

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:20 pm

how much did these cost? the site just says call.
corvettecrazy

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:57 pm

GlowinPontiac wrote:
how much did these cost? the site just says call.

the reds that I used were .38 / LED and you must buy them in tubes of 60. so 22.80 for 60 of them.
GlowinPontiac

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:59 pm

ok thanks.
thats a pretty good price.
corvettecrazy

Post Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:00 pm

GlowinPontiac wrote:
ok thanks.
thats a pretty good price.

that's what I though...hate to compare it to here, but the difference is so little....
Adrian

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:27 am

Lumileds superflux wide-angle LED's are simply the best icon_twisted.gif That's why I designed them into ICELED GEM and FLOOD!
corvettecrazy

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:09 am

Adrian wrote:
Lumileds superflux wide-angle LED's are simply the best icon_twisted.gif That's why I designed them into ICELED GEM and FLOOD!

Would you be kind enough to share which specific LED's you used ? I know they have more than what is listed on their website.
corvettecrazy

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:39 pm

2nd board in its lense awaiting a voltage regulator and some JB weld to hold the PCB in place.

User posted image

User posted image

User posted image
jethawk

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:46 pm

looks nice and bright!!! i havent decided which way im going to go.... the superflux's are nice but their only 3 lumen at 70 degrees... i was thinking of possibly going with 10mm LED's which are 6 lumen at 140 degrees... but the 10's are a little more costly..... anyways great work on the light!
corvettecrazy

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:13 pm

jethawk wrote:
looks nice and bright!!! i havent decided which way im going to go.... the superflux's are nice but their only 3 lumen at 70 degrees... i was thinking of possibly going with 10mm LED's which are 6 lumen at 140 degrees... but the 10's are a little more costly..... anyways great work on the light!

thanks.

For a 3rd brake light, it doesn't have to be that wide. I haven't thought too deep for my TL since I dont have a set to take appart yet.

And at 11.5 volts, those 20 (behind the lense) are REALLY bright from 100+ feet away. Like almost hard to look directly at.

the only advantage of the 10mm at that point is that you would need less of them.
jethawk

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:18 pm

yea thats what im trying to decide on....i think i'll probably just go with the superflux... they seem to do the job quite well! i was wondering if you had the chance to play around with a PWM if you have one?
Judas

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:59 pm

Curse you kids, always tempting me to get started on my led TL project. The 80's MR2s are super easy to do this to since their rear lights are flat just like a circuit pannel. I know of one MR2 that has LEDs in a guns crosshair shape that looks amazing. *goes and looks for a link*
corvettecrazy

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:11 pm

jethawk wrote:
yea thats what im trying to decide on....i think i'll probably just go with the superflux... they seem to do the job quite well! i was wondering if you had the chance to play around with a PWM if you have one?

haven't had a chance to get one...I really need to though.
jethawk

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:29 pm

yea me too... im thinking about picking up a quickar unit... for 10$ its not a bad deal...but even that is cutting deeply into my limited budget biglaugh.gif so unfortunetly my retro is moving quite slowly.... but when are you gonna become unlazy and start the TL retro icon_twisted.gif
corvettecrazy

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:35 pm

jethawk wrote:
yea me too... im thinking about picking up a quickar unit... for 10$ its not a bad deal...but even that is cutting deeply into my limited budget biglaugh.gif so unfortunetly my retro is moving quite slowly.... but when are you gonna become unlazy and start the TL retro icon_twisted.gif

I need a set of TL first. Which will be a while most likely be a while. Although there is a chance I could get 1 side next weekend. And even if I do, I need more LED's

I was reading more about the PWM...I think they might be negative PWM. which throws a small curve ball but nothing too big.

I still dont know if it is better to use a PWM or to just use lower voltage. Lower voltage is SOO much easier. Especially since I have 30/40 voltage regulators comming my way. I think those were like 8 bucks total. So doing all lower voltage is cheaper. But idk if it is better or not.
jethawk

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:54 pm

yea the quickar PWM is a negative style one... no biggie just wire it in on the ground side instead of the positive side.... i like the PWM idea because you can fine tune the dimness for the parking lights Vs the brakelights and have it somewhat even across both sides with equal duty cycles... with voltage regulators and current limiting resistors you take your chance in getting them equal.. since they have tolerances... i think a PWM is more accurate.. and would also require less exprimentation with the current values to get the dimness you would want...
corvettecrazy

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:56 pm

jethawk wrote:
yea the quickar PWM is a negative style one... no biggie just wire it in on the ground side instead of the positive side.... i like the PWM idea because you can fine tune the dimness for the parking lights Vs the breaklights and have it somewhat even across both sides with equal duty cycles... with voltage regulators and current limiting resistors you take your chance in getting them equal.. since they have tolerances... i think a PWM is more accurate.. and would also require less exprimentation with the current values to get the dimness you would want...

good points there. but as long as you have a 1.5volt+ drop it shouldn't really matter. I wonder if it would be possible to make bunch of PWM for cheaper than buying them.
jethawk

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:57 pm

the quickar kit can handle 1.5 amps for 10$... and i think if you use it to trigger transistors.... you can really add on alot of LED's to it....i dunno i think azdave from hidplanet might be a little more assitance on that topic...
corvettecrazy

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:01 pm

jethawk wrote:
the quickar kit can handle 1.5 amps for 10$... and i think if you use it to trigger transistors.... you can really add on alot of LED's to it....i dunno i think azdave from hidplanet might be a little more assitance on that topic...

but 1.5 amps means that it can handle up to 85 LEDs if I did my math correctly. 1500mA/70mA per series = 21.429*4= 85.7

assuming you do a few sections that is MORE than enough
jethawk

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:04 pm

true!!! so there you go biglaugh.gif for 20$ you can have adjustable dimness on each side or even brightness... since LED's if pulsed you can run them at a higher current... basically over driving them.. and they'll still last long.... for example... i have a 10 mm white LED that puts out 13 lumen at 150 mA... but if i pulse it with a PWM at 1/10ms i can run it at 450mA.... i know LED's dont gain brightness in a linear way... but with 300 more mA flowing to it... i expect it to be alot brighter!
corvettecrazy

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:08 pm

jethawk wrote:
true!!! so there you go biglaugh.gif for 20$ you can have adjustable dimness on each side or even brightness... since LED's if pulsed you can run them at a higher current... basically over driving them.. and they'll still last long.... for example... i have a 10 mm white LED that puts out 13 lumen at 150 mA... but if i pulse it with a PWM at 1/10ms i can run it at 450mA.... i know LED's dont gain brightness in a linear way... but with 300 more mA flowing to it... i expect it to be alot brighter!

If I were going to do PWM I would have to run 6 of them. 1 for TL and 1 for BL and I have 3 TL sections.
jethawk

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:11 pm

i think mose people use the brake lights at around 75-100% of the superfluxes full brightness... and then use the PWM for the tail lights.. fine tune the dimness to a certain degree... of course if you wanted to overdrive the brake lights and make them brighter.. then you would need a PWM for them too....so for the brake lights voltage regulators should be fine.. run them around 100% or maybe 90%... and then PWM for the tail lights to fine tune the dimness.... i think this is the route im going to go.... i havent decided if im going to overdrive the brake lights... it all depends on how bright the superflux's are behind my lense... if their not bright enough with just the voltage regulators then i'll buy PWM for them
corvettecrazy

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:14 pm

jethawk wrote:
i think mose people use the brake lights at around 75-100% of the superfluxes full brightness... and then use the PWM for the tail lights.. fine tune the dimness to a certain degree... of course if you wanted to overdrive the brake lights and make them brighter.. then you would need a PWM for them too....so for the brake lights voltage regulators should be fine.. run them around 100% or maybe 90%... and then PWM for the tail lights to fine tune the dimness.... i think this is the route im going to go.... i havent decided if im going to overdrive the brake lights... it all depends on how bright the superflux's are behind my lense... if their not bright enough with just the voltage regulators then i'll buy PWM for them

it all depends how many superfluxes you use. My 3rd at 12 volts hurts to look at. and if you look at it from 20 feet you see red afterwards. which is kinda bad on the road. Which is why I am running them at a lower voltage. what pattern are you looking to do?
jethawk

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:17 pm

4 rows across..... 4 leds high... probably around 64 LEDS per taillight...the way my lenses are made it kinda diffuses the light.. so i think i might have to run them on the upper end of their limit... so get a nice bright brake light... of course i dont want to be blinding them because i know what its like to look at bright LED's for awhile... those spots last a long time!!!
corvettecrazy

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:19 pm

jethawk wrote:
4 rows across..... 4 leds high... probably around 64 LEDS per taillight...the way my lenses are made it kinda diffuses the light.. so i think i might have to run them on the upper end of their limit... so get a nice bright brake light... of course i dont want to be blinding them because i know what its like to look at bright LED's for awhile... those spots last a long time!!!

yeah the new Fx or w/e it is. I should run an on/on switch, which adjusts the brightness of the brake lights. so if someone is being a real a$$hole I can make them brighter than what I would normally run them at.
jethawk

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:21 pm

hahaha yea... i was reading a thread where someone might put HID's in their reverse lights.. and hook them on a switch so if someones tailgating him... he just flips the switch and BAM... blinded!
corvettecrazy

Post Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:29 pm

jethawk wrote:
hahaha yea... i was reading a thread where someone might put HID's in their reverse lights.. and hook them on a switch so if someones tailgating him... he just flips the switch and BAM... blinded!

I think that is going a little far, but if you had a big wall of red slap you in the face...
alienyoungjr

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:49 am

jethawk wrote:

I was thinking more of a 700 watt strobe, I think that might blind them and leae little stars everywhere for them to see.
Judas

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:11 pm

^ha, a bit crude isnt it?

You guys can always go the simpler route of having only half or so of the LEDS on for tailight and then the others turn on for the brake light, no dimming just on/off action.
corvettecrazy

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:54 pm

Judas wrote:
^ha, a bit crude isnt it?

You guys can always go the simpler route of having only half or so of the LEDS on for tailight and then the others turn on for the brake light, no dimming just on/off action.

there are advantages and is-advantages to both. The good thing about having them at 1/2 duty but a lot of them means that there is a good spead of light for people to see. I dont really see a bad thing about that. Running just a few at full power means that they wont last as long.

PWM are actually a really good idea.
Judas

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:18 pm

True, Anyone know what LEDs are used in the toyota pruis brake lights?
corvettecrazy

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:26 pm

Judas wrote:
True, Anyone know what LEDs are used in the toyota pruis brake lights?

I would put money on it they are superfluxes, but I am not positive.
jethawk

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:38 pm

i believe they are lumiled snapflux LED's... or w/e their called... i think most manufactures use those for LED taillights....
Judas

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:49 pm

I love the way it goes from black housing then BAM brakes on and its bright red. I want to do that with my rear lights so they are all black when the lights are off.. Of course Ill keep my reflectors for legal purposes. Ahg I got my paycheck today and im so tempted to buy some...., ebay has a few decent deals, It seems cheaper to find some sellers in europe and pay a few bucks extra shipping then get raped by the popular sellers.
corvettecrazy

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:12 pm

Judas wrote:
I love the way it goes from black housing then BAM brakes on and its bright red. I want to do that with my rear lights so they are all black when the lights are off.. Of course Ill keep my reflectors for legal purposes. Ahg I got my paycheck today and im so tempted to buy some...., ebay has a few decent deals, It seems cheaper to find some sellers in europe and pay a few bucks extra shipping then get raped by the popular sellers.

you need VHT nightshades to tint your TL lenses.
Judas

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:21 pm

No I wasnt going that way, since my TL are almost flat I will fabricate a Lexan lense myself. That way the light doesnt ahve to pass the light dimming by the Red lense then getting dimmer from the nightshade spray. I did it to my turn signals(minus the LEDs) so I figure I can do the same to my TL.l
jethawk

Post Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:56 pm

if you use Red LED's behind a red lense... you should get much dimming at all... if their wavelength in colour is similar almost all the light will pass right through and none should be blocked.... so the only thing causing it to dim would be the nightshade over the lense.. not the acctual lense itself..
The time now is Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:52 am
Page 1 of 1