Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

?How to wire up a photocell with LEDs

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:47 am

?How to wire up a photocell with LEDs

I am using 8 various LEDs w/resistors to lightup my daughter wall castle diarama using standard batteries like 4/aaa or a 9v in an on/off case. While it looks great at night, I don't want it to be on 24/7 and don't want to continually use the on/off switch. I want it to go on every night like a night light would.

I have the photocell's but when placed in between the power feed line it only dims the LED, it doesn't turn it completly off. I've also tried to use the guts of a night light as those are the on/off function but those are designed for 110V house electricity and have other resistors and capacitors etc to control the electricity and will not work with the the battery power source.

electrical guru's out there?
Recon

Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:23 pm

I think there was a post about light activated stuff a while back, I looked for a little bit, but couldn't find anything.
But I know it was posted, so maybe search around for it
TheBrick

Post Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:25 pm

try to contact Adrian. He is very knowledgable and might be able to help you.
alkatmsu

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:38 pm

I don't know crap about it, but I would speculate that it may have something to do with an electric outlet having a different voltage than a couple of AA batteries.
alienyoungjr

Post Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:28 pm

alkatmsu wrote:
I don't know crap about it, but I would speculate that it may have something to do with an electric outlet having a different voltage than a couple of AA batteries.

nop, if you look in the night light it has more circuitry than just a photo cell. A photo cell basically acts just like a resistor, except light increases the resistance. You have to build a circuit to cut the power when the resistance reaches a certain level, and this is about as far as my electronics knowledge can take you.
The time now is Tue May 22, 2018 6:19 pm
Page 1 of 1