Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

What a night....

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:53 pm

Well I get my new Inferno Kit installed and working. I play around with it in my driveway and get the color combo I liked then decided to go over to a friends house to show him. Well we hang out and talk and I give him the whole light show. So its time for me to leave.....I decide to turn on red/blue color combo for the lights. I'm on the road home and what do I see?? A county sherriff. He pulls out from where he was hiding and proceeds to catch up to me and then flips on his lights and pulls me over. He tells me that red and blue are HIGHLY illegal and gives me a $75 ticket. Now..everything i've read/ heard from other cops in the area say that any color is legal. and since this was my first offense i was hoping i'd get off with a warning but no..he decides to get me for the lighting which had been on my car for a total of 2 hours. What a night..... If anyone has any links or info on Ohio lighting laws let me know....thanks
anthonie121

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:58 pm

Damnn, coulda been worse tho, my friend got a $200 ticket for her blue neons in NJ. I e-mailed my township police department.
GlowinPontiac

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:01 pm

red/blue should be obvously in the shady section of the law since thats what colors the police use. 75 isnt bad at all for the ticket. hell where i live a burned out taillight fine goes higher than that! biglaugh.gif
stasis-

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:35 pm

yea..red and blue are for police only. bad choice lol
audio_excessories

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:44 pm

GlowinPontiac wrote:
red/blue should be obvously in the shady section of the law since thats what colors the police use. 75 isnt bad at all for the ticket. hell where i live a burned out taillight fine goes higher than that! biglaugh.gif

Yep...a tail light here not fixed within 10 days of the issuance of the ticket is a $100 fine and a trip in front of the magistrate to be further reviewed....

pay the ticket and keep the lighting for showin of when stationary until you know exactly what you can get away with/what is legal
Rags

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:15 pm

pay the 75, you got off very easy.
MongolPup

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:19 am

I'm with rags. Your one lucky kid.
Stcgolfer

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:45 pm

Kid your just not fast enough evidently....lol...Lets review...I have been riding around with my blue LEDs flashing...so...I've been pulled over by a state highway patrolman in town and was told that any color can flash except red or blue....Let off with a warning.......3 days later I was pulled over by a Sheriff on the highway and was told none of my lights can flash (I had greens flashing) but any solid colors are OK. It was totally backwards on who pulled me over where they did but i only got off w/ warnings both times....Wondering how I pulled this off? Leave 1
audio_excessories

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:51 pm

say what??....

A lot of what you can do has to do with where you live.....here in Michigan, pretty much everything is illegal if you look it up, although a lot of cops will overlook interior lighting as long as it's not on the dash and flashing......All underbody is illegal here, but I know most of the local law enforcement officers and I've been told as long as Im in their city it's cool...

So the moral of the story is, if you do it and it's illegal, either know all the cops around you or perpare to pay a ticket for it...
alerored2000

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:09 pm

just for everyones info...stcgolfer is my friend and we cruise around a lot and the story he told is true....
justinwebb

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:37 pm

yes you are lucky i live in columbus and i got 120 dollar tickets for my blue underbody.....and yes some cops say no lights and others say no red or blue or flashing
stasis-

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:09 pm

Stcgolfer wrote:
Kid your just not fast enough evidently....lol...Lets review...I have been riding around with my blue LEDs flashing...so...I've been pulled over by a state highway patrolman in town and was told that any color can flash except red or blue....Let off with a warning.......3 days later I was pulled over by a Sheriff on the highway and was told none of my lights can flash (I had greens flashing) but any solid colors are OK. It was totally backwards on who pulled me over where they did but i only got off w/ warnings both times....Wondering how I pulled this off? Leave 1

you didnt pull anything off...the laws are just a bit shady and alot of people in law enforcement interpret the laws differently, and alot of the time wing it because they dont know the laws regarding lighting
Stcgolfer

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:55 pm

So does n e 1 have any suggestions to do to try to keep these "Traffic Stops" from happening to often.....Get a Letter from the County Prosecuter or what?

Check out My 2005 Tiburon @ CarDomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2222881
stasis-

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:57 pm

the only way to not get pulled over is to not use them while driving. for the most part, they are illegal in some way. shape, or form
Stcgolfer

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:50 pm

Booooooooo!!! See that would take all the fun outta the nightlife man... icon_lol.gif
Stcgolfer

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:52 pm

Check out my 2005 Tiburon @ www.Cardomain.com/ride/2222881
audio_excessories

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:55 pm

nah, plenty of fun can still be had, save the glow for the backroads and when parked.....go out hit the "hot spots" and show off.....trust me....my show off vehicle is a friggin Buick and I did alright for myself.... icon_lol.gif
GlowinPontiac

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:59 pm

stcgolfer....theres an edit button in the upper right hand corner of your posts.
its easier on everyone to use this instead of posting twice in a row. icon_cool.gif
Stcgolfer

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:01 pm

I dunno....If u want the gurls u gotta get the Glow.....Gurls=Glow.....runs hand and hand.....The cops jus gotta realize that the underlights are a stupid reason for pulling pple over...NO COP has lights under there car....so why would this effect any one....You have to be a damn retard to think that underlights=Emergency Vehicle.....They jus have a slow day and we keep it movin for tem i guess.....Plus wouldn't u think red and blue underlights be good to society??? Think When pple see red and blue they slow down so our lights would reduce the number of speeders in turns keeping the accident rate down at an all time low...lol....see tehre beneficial
GlowinPontiac

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:07 pm

Stcgolfer wrote:
I dunno....If u want the gurls u gotta get the Glow.....Gurls=Glow.....runs hand and hand.....

LOL sorry but this made me laugh so hard! biglaugh.gif biglaugh.gif
stasis-

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:08 pm

wow..either way youve been warned, so no ***** when you get nailed with a $500 ticket for red/blue lights icon_smile.gif
Knox

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:15 pm

Stcgolfer, you can put your cardomain link into your signature so yo don't have to keep posting it over and over. Go to your profile to make it. pirate.gif

As for avoiding tickets with the UB, just make sure you only use it off the roads. When you do feel the need to use it on the road though, just save it for the hot spots where you know you'll get the most attention and then keep it off for regular driving. That's my advice. icon_smile.gif
coldfusion01

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:57 pm

alerored2000 wrote:
red and blue are HIGHLY illegal and gives me a $75 ticket

That's not bad. Here in Gerogia you get arrested for impersonating a cop and aorund a $1-2K fine...
jdusty914

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:12 pm

I know what you mean about the cop with ub thing....I got questioned by a cop and he said i was impersonating a cop...me and my mom found state law and called his boss and got him fired for harassment....needless to say that if you find out from your state law that what you have is not illegal, then most people wont think twice about it....at least that is how it is here in tennessee....but one thing I would do is not ever put my ub on red and blue at the same time cause that is like one big neon sign saying PULL ME OVER NOW....just my opinion and experience...
justinwebb

Post Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:05 pm

if you are worried about getting caught then DON"T USE THEM its as simple as that...trust me i had to do the same thing which is why i took mine off never used them cause i didn't want to pay for the tickets
Stcgolfer

Post Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:45 pm

The Ohio Law is simply stated..."Any lights can be used IF and only IF the TUBE CAN"T BE SEEN". Obviously the cops haven't being doing their HW on the Laws to know that.....I'm just gonna have 2 print off a copy and keep it in my glove box..lol
Stcgolfer

Post Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:51 pm

Ohio Code for Lights

" 4513.17 Number of lights permitted; direction of beam; flashing, oscillating or rotating lights.
Text of Statute
(A) Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with headlights also is equipped with any auxiliary lights or spotlight or any other light on the front thereof projecting a beam of an intensity greater than three hundred candle power, not more than a total of five of any such lights on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when the vehicle is upon a highway.
( Any lighted light or illuminating device upon a motor vehicle, other than headlights, spotlights, signal lights, or auxiliary driving lights, that projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than three hundred candle power, shall be so directed that no part of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than seventy-five feet from the vehicle. "

Also here is a reply to a question posed to the Ohio State Highway patrol:

"What colors and types (under body, in-car, etc.) of neon lights are legal?

Lights must not rotate, oscillate, or flash, but state law does not prohibit the use of colored neon lights under your car as long as they do not interfere or blind other drivers.

Ohio Revised Code, section 4513.17 prohibits flashing lights on motor vehicles with the exception of emergency vehicles, turn signals, and hazard flashers.

As long as the neon lights are less than 300 candle power they are not in violation of any State law. If the lights are more than 300 candle power they must be directed to strike the pavement the vehicle sets upon at a distance of no more than 75 feet. The lights can not exceed 500 candle power. Colored lights, such as neon lights around a license plate, could be illegal if the light illuminates the plate and changes the colors of the plate. State law requires a white light to illuminate the rear license plate."

In conclusion......Any color is ok As long as its not flashing and the tube Can't be Seen.....This is straight from the Ohio Revised Code so the cops can argue all they want but underlights shouldn't get you **** as for a ticket..
TheBrick

Post Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:15 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH to this whole thread

girls=glow HAHAHAHAHA ya maybe jailbait girls LOL
Stcgolfer

Post Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:48 pm

TheBrick wrote:

LOL .... We got a funny guy on our hands...lol ^^^ icon_lol.gif
alerored2000

Post Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:57 pm

Pretty much every cop has their own view on underlights. Some dont care, some arent real sure on the law so they "wing it" and some dont like any. I'm gonna find the exact law and keep it. For now until things settle and I find a definate answer on the UB kit I'll just go with the colors I know are legal or just do what was said...

audio_excessories wrote:
nah, plenty of fun can still be had, save the glow for the backroads and when parked.....go out hit the "hot spots" and show off.....trust me....my show off vehicle is a friggin Buick and I did alright for myself.... icon_lol.gif

i'll keep glowin but i'm just gonna be more careful....
TheBrick

Post Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:36 pm

Stcgolfer wrote:
TheBrick wrote:

LOL .... We got a funny guy on our hands...lol ^^^ icon_lol.gif

hey hey hey You are the funny one, im just trying to gain attention off your wake of comedy icon_wink.gif
The time now is Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:55 pm
Page 1 of 1