Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Music and Flash Interface Test Data:

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:15 pm

Being a bit of an Audiophile, I was curious when people claimed how sensitive the unit was so i did a little test. Using my car's Epic 150 SPL meter I set the unit on Most sensitive and ran test tones noting the SPL at which the interface first lit a string of LEDs. Here are the results.

Hz - Most sensitive Least sensitive
20 - 86db/ 104db
50 - 93db/ 103db
75 - 92db/ 99db
100 - 91db/ 95db
250 - 84db/ 89db
500 - 80db/ 91db
750 - 78db/ 93db
1000 - 76db/ 85db
2500 - 74db/ 76db
5000 - 74db/ 75db
10000 - 74db/ 75db

Here is the graph layered on the relative level of human hearing.
User posted image

It's also worth noting that this unit is very sensitive to reflected sound waves above 1000 Hz. Below 50 Hz, it's clear that the unit is sensitive to vibrations. If you want the best possible interface to all frequencies, I suggest mounting the unit with the mic facing a speaker or on a reflective path. The unit can be "tuned" to find certain frequencies by changing the mounting location, hardness of the mounting surface and relative angle of the mic to the speakers.

To increase sensitivity for:
Low Frequencies - mount the unit on a hard flat surface preferabily with metal mounting brackets and place a single layer of electrical tape over the mic

Midrange - Mount the unit on a flat surface in the open preferabily in the general path of the speaker or in the reflective path off a flat surface. Use foam mounting tape. Mic facing up is optimal since the roof of most cars will bounce back midrange frequencies without reflecting the highs

Highs: Mount on sound deadned surface in direct path of the tweeter. it may be advontagous to coat the back and side of the unit in sound deadening material or closed cell foam. The unit itself it naturally sensitive to higher frequencies the trick is is to physically tune out the lower frequencies.
justin

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:33 pm

icon_eek.gif

wow, thats pretty leet.
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:23 pm
Page 1 of 1