Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Help wiring up my LED's

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:07 am

Hey all, I need a little help. I'm making my daughter a little oven for her birthday. However, I want it to be cool and have each plate turn on with LED lights.

I dont want to ask my hubby for help as he may just take over and I'd rather do it myself. I've looked up wiring diagrams etc but my setup is a lot more complicated and I'm a little lost.

So imagine a stove top. I'd like to have 4 plates that each light up individually. I have about 4 or 5 LED's per plate...not sure how bright they are so I dunno if I should use all 5. Anyway, I battled to find switches that turn like an oven knob so the guy at the hardware sold me 5 POT 500 OHM switches. So they only go bright and dim and they dont turn off. So I have one main rocker on/off switch which I can use to turn them all on and then each plate will then individually turn bright or dim with its own POT switch thingy!
I was using an LED circuit calculator just now and it tells me I'll need a resister as well. Now I can wire it up and I can solder etc but I need a little help with a wiring diagram. Can anyone help me....I have:

20 x red 1,7v 20MA LED's
4 x POT switches 500 ohm (with three places on top to solder wire to)
1 x rocker on/off switch
No resisters, batteries, wire or battery connectors yet as I'm still building the actual oven. I dont even know what a resister is and what it does.

please help
bad venge

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:07 am

Need to know what battery/Adapter you want to run this on 's voltage to calculate the correct value of resistors ect
Also I'd assume 5 LED's per plate , Or you could do 4 and one over the knob to show it's "on"

Wiring is straight forward power / fuse/ Resistor / Pot connect to one end and the variable connection (usually middle) LED's in series +-+-+-+-+- follow thatto negitive on the power

Repeat X4
Tat2Dragons

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:49 am

I don't have anything to add, but for taking on such a project, I would like to say you sound like a really cool Mom. icon_smile.gif
wolf36

Post Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:45 pm

1. you might want to check how bright the LEDs are so you can use as few as possible, I usually just stick mine in a remote control with 2 AA batteries, which is 3V.

2.Im not sure what the 3 connections on the pot switch are for???

3. A resistor just reduces the voltage that goes though a circuit. Works similar to the POT, the POT is just adjustable, resistor is at a fixed rate.

4. You could use a 12V AC adaptor from this site so you can plug into the wall, not sure about voltage or power outlets in south Africa. Or you can get a 12V battery holder that uses 8 AA batteries.

5. Check for diagrams for series wired LEDs, then make a series with a resistor and pot on the positve wire for each plate, and then wire each + and - to the power source.

Im guessing the LEDs you have are the ones that have red colored plastic, and those are nowhere near as bright as the oznium ones, in any case you could wire 5 in series with a 180 ohm resistor. Im also not sure about the pot, 500 ohms is the max resistance I see so that would dim them, and I would assume turning the pot the other way would reduce the ohms all the way to 0 ohms, allowing all 12V wich would make them all the way bright.

More questions just ask, I can wire something quick and show you a picture of what it should look like when you wire and solder everything together.

For 5 Red 1.7V LEDs @ 20 ma, We recommend a 180 Ohm resistor with a power rating of at least 1/8 W
This resistor with a tolerance of +/- 5% has the color code: Brown, Gray, Brown, Gold
The time now is Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:46 pm
Page 1 of 1