Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

How hard is it to make Shaker/Ram-air/hood scoop. & Ramb

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:48 am

I bought a 1999 Chevy Blazer with a 3 inch lift and 32's. (No I'm never dropping it. I live in MN). And I was wondering how hard it would be to put a nice Ram-Air type scoop in it. Pardon my lack of knowledge of this stuff, never actually dealt with anything of the sort but once I sand it down and fix it up a little I would eventually like to make it look good, rather than a beater. This is the first thing that came to mind, aside from the LEDs that are going in regardless.

BTW, putting green LEDs in the interior, don't know about exterior yet because of mud and snow.

It's not pretty right now (rust on the drivers side panel, rust on the frame from mudding, 2 dents on the passenger side, broken fender flare on the passenger side, some chipped paint above that flare and some on the roof (from rollover last winter, fixed, just not cosmetically) and the front grille is peeling (garbage plastic with lowest quality paint possible, thanks chevy)

So throughout this year and next year I'll be basically rebuilding this whole thing. Poppin out dents, reshaping stuff, replacing parts, sanding it down, primering, repainting, putting halo's in, putting LEDs in (owner gave me a touchscreen deck for free just cuz I knew quite a bit about trucks and he "respects that" haha), eventually going to put heavier suspension and 1-2 new leaf springs in to put it up another 3", hopefully putting a hood scoop (or whatever the correct term to be), and I'm transferring my system from my neon into the Blazer.

Going to be putting the Big 3 into my Blazer on Thursday or Friday I believe, which in turn I'll put the deck and system in. Waiting for my green LED's to get here. I'm putting my Neon into storage for winter ('Cause in MN we put salt on our roads 'cause we're smart.... not.) so those blue LEDs will be hibernating with my Neon and the greens will be getting put into my Blazer.

I'm done rambling for now, the question at the beginning is important, the rest is just me being bored and explaining crap.
pcheng

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:08 pm

to answer your scoop question, are you plannign to make the scoop on the hood of the car? if you are a good way to start is use some chicken wire from like home depot or something, cut and shape the way you would want the scoop. mount it and you can lay out fibreglass from the bottom and one on the top to form your hood. really simple. Now comes the hard part, once you get the shape and place where you want it you can add fibreglass to blend it with the body of the hood. Then it's all fine tune by using flexible body panel putty. clean up the shape and you should be able to blend it in. Paint it and it's realy to use. If you prefer a actual vent on the hood then there's some elbow grease involved. If you need spefic help, pm me and give me dimensions i can figure out something for you and better explain the instructions.
stasis-

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:25 pm

it depends on how skilled you are with fiberglass. and if you want it functional. if both of those are yes, you might want to buy one ready to go
The time now is Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:13 pm
Page 1 of 1