Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

Repairing Flexible LED strips

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:33 am

So I bought the flexible Million colors RGB LED strips to use in a dancers costume for a school project. I have a problem with one of my LEDs in the strip not changing to Red but works fine when the strip is in blue and green. Basically there is a dead red LED on my strip but its turns back on when I move the strip around so I know its not completely broken. I think the dancers movements have weekend the connection points on the copper strip but I have no idea how to fix it. This happened to me once already with this product and I tried to re solder potential weak spots but that just ruined the whole strip. Any ideas or suggestions maybe even a diagram on how these strips are wired?
Thanks.
bad venge

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:46 am

Unfortunately the silicone that these are incased in make them hard to "service" .
You can try to cut the silicone away to get at the leds and try to resolder them.
unfortunately there could be a break in the trace feeding the red as well , if tats the case you will have to track it back to the led before and solder a wire from one to the other
jmoddes

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:06 am

And if you were to do this and you may think something inside somehow went bad, this is where I bought a replacement diode for my ICE underglow kit. I personally haven't had time to put it on just yet thanks to life, but it looks 100% identical to what is on the board.

Either way, if you do cut the silicone back, you really might want to thing about getting clear shrink tube and then shrink it around the entire strip. :/

If this seems like just too much work might have to buy another one. When did you buy this?
The time now is Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:54 pm
Page 1 of 1