Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

How to wiring LED strips to each car doors?

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:40 am

I am newbie to wiring in car ...I wanna asks how to connect the wiring for each car door for led strips that requires 12 V? Which wire should I connect to and can I tap into a single wire for 4 different wiring for the led strips? Would it cause short-circuit in my car and fried the electrical component? Do I need to solder a fuse in the wire before connect all the wires together ? How do I made the fuse if I need to? Sorry for lotsa questions here cause I need the knowledge to DIY led strips for my car puddle light.....
jmoddes

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:32 am

few questions for you. Do you have a light on the door already? (or just tell me the car). and for wiring, you need to find a wire that has 12 volts going to it ONLY when the car door is open. How you do that is by using a Multi meter (QUICK LINK). These are L.E.Ds. and wont cause anything to fry (unless you put a stupid huge fuse in place of a small one and then wire a positive to negative). The led's draw SO little amperage you don't really have to worry. to install them might want to do something like this (google search) User posted image

invest in the fuse holder. you'll need (IMO) 5 or 10 A fuse for the lights joined all together.
https://www.oznium.com/install-bay/atc-fuse-holder
https://www.oznium.com/install-bay/atc-fuse

hope I answered all the questions. if not anyone else join to jump in go for it.
bad venge

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:52 pm

OK First off most door pin switches are NEGATIVE switched meaning they go to ground when the doors opened. In this case you'd connect these to a constant 12 volt source thru a fuse.

Some are positive switched but not near as many.In this case you'd connect thru a fuse on the switched line, and ground the strips

If you currently have lights that come on when the doors open the easiest way is to tap across those and use a small fuse

You mention 4 wires , Most LED's only have 2 wires. If these have 4 wires they might be RGB color changing
leddownlights

Post Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:33 am

I replaced all the lights in my old sailboat with LED lights. When I tested the amperage draw on the old lights (every light on possible), the draw was about 4 amp. This is enought to easily kill the battery overnight. The main reason for the LED was to save battery power. I replaced all the lights and the current draw was around .08 amp. That would allow an extended time for the lights to be on. In fact, i went away for the week and the lights were left on. I have 2 deep cycle batteries and they were barely drawn down. Started the boat no problem. They are costly though but availble in nearly every style of base.
The time now is Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:36 am
Page 1 of 1