Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

HELP - Momentary Switch + relay(s) for Amp Remote Wire.

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi guys I'm new here and this is my first post so if I'm asking this in the wrong section or something like that please be gentle with me.

Here's my situation:

I have a Clarion NX602 in-dash nav unit and two 12" Kicker L7 subwoofers in the rear hatch of my Chevy Blazer. I have a nice security system with remote start and all of that fun stuff too.

My problem is that I have a really bad habit of just shutting off the truck when I get where I'm going and never turn down my radio. When I use the remote start to start the truck the next morning, the sound system is still turned up high enough for the bass to set off the shock sensor in the alarm system. I also have a 3 year old little girl who hates that loud bass coming from the subwoofers. I need to be able to turn them off without sacrificing the radio.

Now I know I have a few options but the option that I'm looking into is a bit different.

Tried + failed:
--Turn down radio before getting out. Never remember to turn it down and still can't turn off the bass easily when I'm putting my daughter in my truck.
--Toggle switch in-line with the remote wire. Never remember to turn it off so it really doesn't do me any good.

Want to try:

--A push button momentary switch connected to one or more relays so that it behaves in this fashion:
1. Start truck and press switch to turn on amp remote wire.
2. Switch latches into relay and circuit remains closed until one of 2 things happen:
----1. Press switch a second time or
----2. Vehicle is shut off.

The circuit should remain closed and amplifier remains turned on until one of those 2 things happen in which case the circuit should open and turn off the amplifier until I press the momentary switch again to turn the amp back on.

Basically, in a nut shell, I want to have to turn the amp on every time I start my truck using a momentary switch with one or more relays. I want to be able to turn it back off in the same fashion and or have it reset back to an open circuit as soon as the key is turned off.

This would prevent the subwoofers from setting off my shock sensor in my security system when the vehicle is remote started because the subwoofers would not turn on with the radio and it would also give me the ability to either not turn on the subwoofers at all or turn them off if need be when I have my little girl with me.

My problem is that I have no idea how to wire something like this up. That's why I'm posting here. I was hoping some electronic genius would be able to give me some kind of idea or diagram on how to set something like this up because I'm clueless when it comes to relays and momentary switches.

Please any and all help will be really appreciated.

Dan
bad venge

Post Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:02 am

Why does it have to be a momentary switch ?
THAT makes your request difficult as there are not many "latching" 12 volt relays

Personally I'd wire to a key on thats not on the remote start ( most shops just wire HVAC/radio to turn on with remote)

Tap into power windows or something that doesn't come on with remote start. Then wire that into a relay
Tat2Dragons

Post Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:00 pm

I'm curious as to why your shock sensor is on when your truck has been started with your remote starter. On most remote starter systems the shock sensor is off while the vehicle is running as to prevent it from being triggered.
dharvey4651

Post Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:32 pm

The reason I wanted to do a momentary switch is so that I don't forget to flip it back off when I get out of the vehicle. This is important to me because I don't want to forget to turn it off and have my shock sensor trip the alarm because of it. A rocker switch will not flip back to an open circuit on it's own.

As far as my shock sensor is concerned, my security system leaves it turned on. Not sure why but I honestly don't mind.
The time now is Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:24 pm
Page 1 of 1