Oznium.com Store
Oznium Forum
The value of this forum is in the interaction with your fellow LED lighting enthusiasts.
Register today! - It is FREE and quick

neon light law for s.c.

Author

Are you sure you want to delete this post?

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:14 pm

need info of law boyfriend had gotten motorcycle and put new neon ligjts on it on the gas tank underneath the tag blue light it shine only when the tank he e had gotten tickets and was told that it was illegal in the state of South Carolina is this true because the only law we found he is not illegal South Carolina total always spelled is 56 dash 5 dash 4830 code of law and according to that law he was not illegal but it's being told from everyone that it is does anyone really know the law or any revised law that could help me pleasev
Moss

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:25 am

Google is amazing. I found this in less than 1 minute.

Quote:
SECTION 56-5-4830. Special restrictions on lamps; degree of intensity; red, blue and flashing lights.

Any lighted lamp or illuminating device upon a motor vehicle, other than head lamps, spot lamps, auxiliary lamps, flashing turn signals, emergency vehicle warning lamps, and school bus warning lamps, which project a beam of light of an intensity greater than three hundred candlepower shall be so directed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than seventy-five feet from the vehicle.

A person shall not drive, move, or park any vehicle or equipment upon a highway with a lamp or device on it displaying a red or blue light visible from directly in front of the center of it. This section shall not apply to a vehicle upon which a red or blue light visible from the front is expressly authorized or required by this chapter.

Flashing lights are prohibited except on an authorized emergency vehicle, school bus, snow-removal equipment, or on any vehicle as a means of indicating a right or left turn or the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking, or passing.

The highlighted red part pretty much sums it up. If they can see a blue light at all they will pull you over for it. So you are saying it's legal because the light is hidden under the tank and shines only on the engine. I doubt that's going to hold up if you dispute the ticket, the officer will just say "I could see the light shining on the rider's pant leg or foot controls. The light fixture is on the underside of the tank, but the light shines and can be seen by other drivers on the road when the motorcycle is behind them in traffic"

If you do win the case, be warned. It is still illegal for this reason.

Quote:
SECTION 56-5-170. Authorized emergency vehicles.

(B) Only authorized emergency vehicles and private security patrol vehicles regulated by the State Law Enforcement Division are allowed use or display of any blue lights or red lights. This includes light bars and smaller lights such as dash, deck, or visor lights. To "display" means to be seen, whether activated or not.

The judge and officer, will "interpret" your boyfriend's hidden install as a display of blue lights in some manner, no matter how stealth. If it's a big dollar fine, my suggestion, appeal the ticket, remove the lights from the motorcycle, take photos of the lights removed and bring the lights to court and offer to surrender them to the judge or police. If it's a $50 fine, pay it and change the color of your lights or only use them at shows or in people's driveways.

Blue lights to me are a bad idea no matter what the letter of the law is.
veronica hammock

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:30 am

thank you
Tdawgthegreatest

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:58 am

Blue or red lights on anything in any state is a sure-fire way to get noticed by the police.
The time now is Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:25 am
Page 1 of 1